Windows 10: Deleting Desktop Icons.

Discus and support Deleting Desktop Icons. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm a bit uncertain about deleting desktop icons. I recently got two new kinds: downloaded youtube vids got put in desktop with an icon on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, May 18, 2017.

1. abrogard Win User

Deleting Desktop Icons.

I'm a bit uncertain about deleting desktop icons.

I recently got two new kinds:

downloaded youtube vids got put in desktop with an icon on the desktop.
    saved .txt files got saved to the desktop with an icon.

I think I've found that if I right click and delete the video icons the icons goes away, which is what I want, and the video file itself remains, which is what I want.

But if I right click and delete the .txt file icons both the file and the icon disappear, which is not what I want.

Is there a difference in how the two should operate?

:)

abrogard, May 18, 2017
  2. Sam___ Win User

Desktop icon deleted

That sounds like a really weird problem. When you say disappeared, do you mean the contents are deleted? If so have you checked for malware and made sure your keyboard is functioning correctly? This is not typical behaviour of the Windows 10 operating system.

-Sam

Sam___, May 18, 2017
  3. Sam___ Win User
    Desktop icon deleted

Hi,

Right click on the desktop > Go to "Personalize" > Go to "Themes" > Click on "Desktop Icon Settings" > Check the 'Computer' and 'User Files' boxes and press ok.

You should your icons on the desktop now.

-Sam

Sam___, May 18, 2017
  4. PJLLB Win User

Deleting Desktop Icons.

Yes. Apparently the videos create a shortcut on the desktop to the actual file (which is why deleting the video icons on the desktop result in the file remaining), and the txt files are actual files located on the desktop which is why they vanish when you delete the icon.

Simple.

PJLLB, May 18, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    To avoid confusion, always save your Documents, in the Documents folder not on the Desktop. You should only have Shortcut to programs that you use most on your desktop or documents you edit often, but not for long term storage.

spunk, May 18, 2017
  6. abrogard Win User
    the videos actually were on the desktop - i.e. in the desktop folder. mp3's and others. right there. with the links. i've just moved everything out.

yes, save to documents or such. i know. i agree. i do. i actually save to a data disk removed from the system disk. what happened here with all this stuff i don't know yet

but it happened and when i casually deleted some icons thinking that was the way to go - from past experience - i got a shock when actual text files went missing.

abrogard, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Deleting Desktop Icons.

1. Deleting Desktop Icons. - Similar Threads - Deleting Desktop Icons

2. Delete Stubborn Desktop Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete Stubborn Desktop Icon: I need help please deleting the following Desktop Icon. If I right click on the Icon the following short menu pops up, but there is no "Delete" Option. If I select "Properties" from the menu I receive the following message. How do I remove this unwanted Icon ?...
  3. Delete Stubborn Desktop Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete Stubborn Desktop Icon: I need help please deleting the following Desktop Icon. If I right click on the Icon the following short menu pops up, but there is no "Delete" Option. If I select "Properties" from the menu I receive the following message. How do I remove this unwanted Icon ?...
  4. Delete Stubborn Desktop Icon

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Cannot delete desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete desktop icons: When I try to delete some of the icons for shortcuts and full files on my desktop, they disappear but then, a few minutes later they will all return. I cannot get rid of them! Any ideas on how to fix this??thanks...
  6. Cannot delete desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete desktop icons: When I try to delete some of the icons for shortcuts and full files on my desktop, they disappear but then, a few minutes later they will all return. I cannot get rid of them! Any ideas on how to fix this??thanks...
  7. Cannot delete desktop icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete desktop icon: It is telling me that this file is open in system. I know where it came from, it was an invoice . I deleted the file days ago and now left an icon cannot delete. Googled and prefer not to download software. Thank you. Chuck 173287
  8. Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder): Ok, so I'm by no means a tech luddite, but this one has me stumped even after trawling some forums. When I delete "some" icons from my desktop the icon does not actually disappear. It stays there on my desktop but is no longer active. I cannot click on it or interact with it...
  9. Slow delete of desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow delete of desktop icons: Sometimes, when I try to delete a desktop shortcut icon, I get a message like "recycling Filename", which goes away in a few seconds. Then the icon stays in place for several seconds and finally disappears. Other times -- mostly -- the icon disappears immediately. Why the...
  10. Deleted desktop icons by accident

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted desktop icons by accident: i was wiping down the keyboard and i deleted the icons i had on the desktop including recycle bin . How do i get it back. https://i.imgur.com/5EcpoxO.jpg . i tryed Restore Missing Desktop Icons in Windows 7, 8, or 10 23500