Windows 10: deleting file history on external HDD

Discus and support deleting file history on external HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there I have backed up all my photos, videos and important documents to an external HDD can I delete the file history on the external HDD without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by madox56, May 14, 2021.

1. madox56 Win User

deleting file history on external HDD

Hi there I have backed up all my photos, videos and important documents to an external HDD can I delete the file history on the external HDD without losing everything that I have backed up on there. Many thanks scared to delete

:)

madox56, May 14, 2021

2. File History with 2 external HDDs

I currently do File History with 1 external HDD as everyone else does. I have a spare external HDD that is just gathering dust. I wonder if I could do File History with 2 external HDDs? Will I run into trouble if I did?

The idea is that I could do File History with the 2 external HDDs on alternate days, so if the internal HDD and one external HDD happen to die on the same day (very, very unlikely, I know) I lose just one day of backup at the most.

FrozenCursor, May 14, 2021
  3. File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, May 14, 2021
  4. deleting file history on external HDD

File History Physical Connected But Not Electronic

Hello Candun,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that File History is not recognizing the external USB expansion drive, even though the drive had worked initially and it was behaving normally in File Explorer.

This issue may occur if any of the backup in the drive you are backing up is corrupted or the library is corrupted.

Please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

1. Open File History and click Select Drive. Select a different drive other than the one that is failing to be recognized. you can consider adding an extra internal HDD to your PC in this situation.

2. Go to the external USB drive that wasn't being recognised, find the File History folder and rename it to "File History.old" or delete it.

3. Go to your C:\Users\your user folder\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, find the File History folder and rename it "File History.old" or delete it.

4. Re-open File History, click Select drive and select the original USB drive that was not being recognised. The drive should now set up normally and start operating.

5. Delete the File History folder on the drive used in step 1

Method 2

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Also refer: What if something goes wrong in File History?

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

(Note: Applies to windows 10)

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 14, 2021
Thema:

deleting file history on external HDD

1. deleting file history on external HDD - Similar Threads - deleting file history

2. How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?: Dear Sir,I am using Windows 10. And I once used Windows 10 File History Backup to backup C: into an external HDD.However, I found that the backup may not be useful for me and I want to stop the backup.And, I just try to turn off the Windows 10 File History Backup. But the...
  3. How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?: Dear Sir,I am using Windows 10. And I once used Windows 10 File History Backup to backup C: into an external HDD.However, I found that the backup may not be useful for me and I want to stop the backup.And, I just try to turn off the Windows 10 File History Backup. But the...
  4. How to disable the Windows 10 Backup File History into external HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Want to delete files on external HDD, but can't.

in Windows 10 Support
    Want to delete files on external HDD, but can't.: Windows Version: 20H2 Build 19042.985 I have an external HDD that is a leftover from a previous laptop and I'm using it for backup. I deleted what I could from it, but it still has some files left that I can't delete. When I try, I get a message telling me I need...
  6. Windows 10 deleting files from external hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 deleting files from external hdd: Windows keeps deleting stuff from my external drive including very large files for games on steam, how do I fix it from deleting stuff again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-deleting-files-from-external-hdd/f27da770-d492-4bd0-be55-9cef2a000e68
  7. Weird files in external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird files in external hdd: Hey guys, today when I booted up my desktop I found some folders and a file in the external hdd I use that weren't there the day before One is named mono.exe and it's classified as a windows installer type file, two folders named System and System64 that contain only .dlls,...
  8. External USB HDD and file history

External USB HDD and file history: I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no...
  9. deleting file history

deleting file history: I have run out of space on my external hard drive G. can I delete file history which is taking up 733GB? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-file-history/19d79f35-fea8-4e86-b9e7-79edc1f69b5b
  10. Delete File History files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Delete File History files: Just started running file history, seems like it might be a good feature. It backed up a lot of stuff that wasn't necessary and its seems to be a hassle to delete them, is there any easy way? I backup to a folder on an Ubuntu computer through my home network. Even as I...