Windows 10: deleting file history

Discus and support deleting file history in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have run out of space on my external hard drive G. can I delete file history which is taking up 733GB?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by josephscuderi sr, Dec 17, 2018.

1. deleting file history

I have run out of space on my external hard drive G. can I delete file history which is taking up 733GB?

:)

josephscuderi sr, Dec 17, 2018
  2. Jerry8A Win User

File History - Deleting Entries

File History

Can I delete current individual Document entries in File History and still have File History work properly for future listings and maintain my old listings?

Another tech forum said:
    "File History keeps a database of all the files backed up. Since you manually deleted data in the File History folder (My Documents), the database and file store would be out of sync."

Do you agree?

Thanks,
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Dec 17, 2018
  3. File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Dec 17, 2018
  4. deleting file history

How to delete files from file history .

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

Let’s try with the below steps and check if he issue resolves

• Enter File History settings in the search box, and then tap or click File History settings.
    • Tap or click Select a drive, and choose the network or external drive you want to use.
    • Turn on File History.
    You go to the location where file history is saved and delete the file if you want to do so.

Note: check the locations included for file history and check if there is third party back up in any of these locations. Removing file history completely won't affect your system image that you have already created.

I would also suggest you to check with the below link and check if it helps you.

Backup your Files: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-back-up-your-files

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further

Sachin V Rao, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

deleting file history

1. deleting file history - Similar Threads - deleting file history

2. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - removal of deleted files: In the "Delete older versions of files and folders" dialog which I'm not able to insert, despite saving the image as a file the prompt says that:"All other files and folders, such as versions that were excluded or removed from your libraries, are also deleted."What does this...
  3. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History - removal of deleted files: In the "Delete older versions of files and folders" dialog which I'm not able to insert, despite saving the image as a file the prompt says that:"All other files and folders, such as versions that were excluded or removed from your libraries, are also deleted."What does this...
  4. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is it safe to delete old File History files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete old File History files?: My External drive is busting with old File History images, at least 3 different versions of my PC when it had different names/images.Can I delete old ones?Some old sites say you can delete it all and just run one now, but don'T I need my old versions if I do a recovery to an...
  6. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage leaving me with none on that drive without deleting other files, and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created...
  7. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage leaving me with none on that drive without deleting other files, and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created...
  8. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created so I can get my storage back...
  9. File History - Deleting Entries

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History - Deleting Entries: File History Can I delete current individual Document entries in File History and still have File History work properly for future listings and maintain my old listings? Another tech forum said: "File History keeps a database of all the files backed up. Since you...
  10. Delete File History files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Delete File History files: Just started running file history, seems like it might be a good feature. It backed up a lot of stuff that wasn't necessary and its seems to be a hassle to delete them, is there any easy way? I backup to a folder on an Ubuntu computer through my home network. Even as I...