Windows 10: Deleting file with long file name

Discus and support Deleting file with long file name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a file, not a folder, on my desktop that exceeds the 256 limit and I have tried everything on line that I can see to delete it but I am unable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Molly Dog, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Molly Dog Win User

Deleting file with long file name

I have a file, not a folder, on my desktop that exceeds the 256 limit and I have tried everything on line that I can see to delete it but I am unable to do wo. I cannot move it to a folder, I cannot cut and paste it to the recycle bin, I cannot rename it, I cannot Zip it, and none of the suggestions for registry adjustments or at the command prompt work either. It is a PDF file that was being saved to print but apparently the file name captured all of the first paragraph as being the file name so it is way over the limit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

:)

Molly Dog, Dec 31, 2020

2. Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Thread necro...

When in doubt, use CMD.

1. Run CMD
    2. Use CD <path> to navigate to the directory where the file exists.
    3. Use the DIR command to get the list of files. DIR will likely abbreviate the ridiculously long named file with NAME~1.
    4. Use the MOVE <source> <destination> to give the file a new name. For example: move "NAME~1" "MyShortName"
    5. ...
    6. PROFIT!

CMD is always the answer. *Wink Deleting file with long file name ;)

FordGT90Concept, Dec 31, 2020
  3. krowey Win User
    Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Can't delete or change file name

If simplifying the file and folder name is not an option, i guess the best thing to do is to use a third party app like Long Path Tool. Just download it and use it to solve this issue. I hope this would help.

krowey, Dec 31, 2020
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Dec 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Deleting file with long file name - Similar Threads - Deleting file long

2. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:"data...
  3. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:"data...
  4. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:data...
  6. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:data...
  7. Cannot delete file with long name

8. File name too long

File name too long: I still have an issue with the error "the file name is too long", although it is not. Ihave changed the value in the longpathsenable Keyloccalmachine using registry editor, restarted and same issue !Please advise !...
  9. Delete files with [TOO] long file names .......

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete files with [TOO] long file names .......: The only post I could find was one from this forum from AUGUST 23, 2017 WINDOWS 7/64, but not Windows 10. That dealt with my problem: DELETING FILES WITH NAMES TOO LONG.The instructions said to: Hi, Windows uses a naming convention called Long Filenames LFN. The LFN system...
  10. File name too long

in Windows 10 Support
    File name too long: I run Win10: [img] And a browser save on the HDD disk, with filename counting 255 letters. And I cannot rename it, move it, or delete it. And I have enabled in the group policy Win32 long file names: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 How can I get rid of...