Windows 10: Deleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive

Discus and support Deleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, If I delete files on my drive F: on a Windows 10 machine, no new space shows for the drive. Looking at Storage, I see System & Reserved... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LawrenceTucker1, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Deleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive

Hello,

If I delete files on my drive F: on a Windows 10 machine, no new space shows for the drive. Looking at Storage, I see System & Reserved expands (now 177 GB) on my 207 GB drive F:. So if I delete a 20GB folder, this will go up to 197GB.

Have tried drive clean up, examination with WinDirStat and Treesize (neither of which show these files even when run as Admin). Tried researching what System and Reserved might be used for. Have deleted system restore points. Don't think indexing is on.

So I guess the question is really, how to do I stop System & Reserved files from eating my machine?

TIA,

Larry

Windows 10 Pro (up to date) 64 bit

On Dell Workstation with 32 GB RAM 1.6 TB drive

:)

LawrenceTucker1, Jan 12, 2019

2. Reclaim Un-allocated Space (Formally System Reserved)

Hello,

I previously had run low on disk space on my Operating System Drive (SSD 250GB), my operating system (Windows 7) created a system reserved space (100MB) and placed the boot files there, this creates a warning on log in that a temporary paging file has been
    created.

I have now cloned this drive to a new 1TB Corsair SSD (Including the system reserved partition) with Active Boot Disk software. I have reclaimed un-allocated space on the new drive which was not identified during the cloning process. As the boot files were
    being stored on the system reserved partition, I conducted a "boot fix" on my Windows 7 Disc. This placed my boot files into the main partition and then I proceeded to make the main partition active and deleted the system reserved partition (now un-allocated).

Windows now boots from the main partition as intended,

However in Disk Manager, an un-allocated space created by the system reserved function exists and the Temporary Paging File Warning still appears on start-up, even though the new SSD has 800+GB of free space and the main partition is the
    boot partition. Also, the left most partition is the 100MB un-allocated space that I wish to reclaim but the option to extend the main partition is greyed out in and not available in active boot disk software and disk manager. I have tried to make the disk
    "dynamic" but it warns me there is not enough "space" on either partition to do so, which is simply not true.

TLDeleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive :DR

I want to:

1. Merge the left most 100MB un-allocated partition (previously system reserved) with the main 800+GB partition
    2. Remove the temp paging file alert on start up
    Thank you in advance for any advice.

Wade.

Wade Hardie, Jan 12, 2019
  3. No space on hard drive due to system reserved patition and installer files

Hi Ruth,

The issue may occur due to corrupted system files or memory full. In order for us to assist you, please answer the questions below:

• What is the exact error message?
    • Can you please provide us a screenshot of your hard drive status.

To isolate the issue, we suggest to check this article of Andre Da Costa:
    How to free up disk space in Windows
    . It contains troubleshooting steps and explanation pertaining to the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jan 12, 2019
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Deleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive

Disk space

Hi,

Windows create a special partition when installed on a new disk. This is usually under the name System Reserved. This partition contains these two important things:

• Boot Manager and Boot Configuration Data
    • Startup files used for BitLocker Drive Encryption

These two should not be deleted as it is essential for booting and Bitlocker drive encryption. Regarding Windows upgrade, it will not take the allotted space for the System Reserved Partition. It will just take the remaining space outside of it. If you have
    30 GB of space, and 13.5 GB is for the System Reserved, then whatever amount of space is remaining on the C drive less than all the installed apps and stored files, then that's what the Windows upgrade will take.

Hope this answers your query. Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Anne Ros, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

Deleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive

1. Deleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive - Similar Threads - Deleting files does

2. Deleting files does not increase disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting files does not increase disk space: I wanted to reinstall a game on my laptop and couldn't because I did not have enough free space on the drive.I responded by trying to delete a slew of old saved games, which were backed up to my OneDrive despite my never having set them to be backed up #@$@#$ which resulted...
  3. System & Reserve gobbling up all disk space

System & Reserve gobbling up all disk space: HiI am on Windows 10 Version 1809 OS Build 17758.1. My OS is installed on a 1 TB SSDI have a very strange issue. When I see all the folders, including hidden files & directories, on C drive, it totals to about 335 GB. WinDirStat confirms it.However, explorer thinks I have...
  4. Reclaiming the space on a Hard Drive

Reclaiming the space on a Hard Drive: My desktop PC is new. It came with a SSD with Windows 10 pre-installed. It is partitioned as follows: _ System Reserved 50MB NTFS C: 476.40 GB NTFS _ 499 MB Healthy Recovery Partition The Windows installation is fine. Next I added a 4TB HDD, to use for...
  5. Frequent message: low disk space on system reserved

Frequent message: low disk space on system reserved: I get the following message frequently: I look at the properties in File Explorer, it is all used-up, 0 space free. I open the Disk Cleanup and this is what it shows: There is nothing to cleanup … what do I do now?...
  6. C Drive not reclaiming freed disk space

C Drive not reclaiming freed disk space: My C drive is showing less than 60GB space free out of 917GB, even though I just moved nearly 150GB worth of files to the cloud (OneDrive). So it should be showing over 200GB fee. How do I get the space back? Note: I have already run Disk Cleanup....
  7. System files in reserved space problem

System files in reserved space problem: Hello, I've got a serious problem with my windows system files which are in reserved space. I can't clean it up in any way, I've tried all solutions I'd found on the Internet like cleaning up disk, optimising, defragmenting, and using windows tools to free up all caches and...
  8. System disk deleted space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System disk deleted space: I HAD a 1TB USB disk, partitioned into 2 x 500Gb - NTFS. Both partitions had data. I created a system restore disk on what I thought was one partition, but the result was that I ended up with one FAT 32 32Gb partition (called Restore), with approx. 27Gb spare capacity. All...
  9. Expand System Reserve Partition

Expand System Reserve Partition: Hi, Have a HP - Windows 10 Desktop. It originally came with windows 7. It upgraded fine to Windows 10, but when the latest version was released, it is unable to update as the System Reserved Partition is only 128 MB. I am also not getting the latest security updates as...
  10. reclaim space

reclaim space: hi...I recently installed xubuntu on a old packard bell dot .s netbook, I had lots of problems so decided to remove it. I used minitool partition wizard to delete partition but wiped it instead,now minitool partition shows that partition as other,is this the same as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd not reclaiming space deleted files