Windows 10: Deleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive

Discus and support Deleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, If I delete files on my drive F: on a Windows 10 machine, no new space shows for the drive. Looking at Storage, I see System & Reserved... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LawrenceTucker1, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Deleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive

Hello,

If I delete files on my drive F: on a Windows 10 machine, no new space shows for the drive. Looking at Storage, I see System & Reserved expands (now 177 GB) on my 207 GB drive F:. So if I delete a 20GB folder, this will go up to 197GB.

Have tried drive clean up, examination with WinDirStat and Treesize (neither of which show these files even when run as Admin). Tried researching what System and Reserved might be used for. Have deleted system restore points. Don't think indexing is on.

So I guess the question is really, how to do I stop System & Reserved files from eating my machine?

TIA,

Larry

Windows 10 Pro (up to date) 64 bit

On Dell Workstation with 32 GB RAM 1.6 TB drive

:)

LawrenceTucker1, Jan 12, 2019

2. Reclaim Un-allocated Space (Formally System Reserved)

Hello,

I previously had run low on disk space on my Operating System Drive (SSD 250GB), my operating system (Windows 7) created a system reserved space (100MB) and placed the boot files there, this creates a warning on log in that a temporary paging file has been
    created.

I have now cloned this drive to a new 1TB Corsair SSD (Including the system reserved partition) with Active Boot Disk software. I have reclaimed un-allocated space on the new drive which was not identified during the cloning process. As the boot files were
    being stored on the system reserved partition, I conducted a "boot fix" on my Windows 7 Disc. This placed my boot files into the main partition and then I proceeded to make the main partition active and deleted the system reserved partition (now un-allocated).

Windows now boots from the main partition as intended,

However in Disk Manager, an un-allocated space created by the system reserved function exists and the Temporary Paging File Warning still appears on start-up, even though the new SSD has 800+GB of free space and the main partition is the
    boot partition. Also, the left most partition is the 100MB un-allocated space that I wish to reclaim but the option to extend the main partition is greyed out in and not available in active boot disk software and disk manager. I have tried to make the disk
    "dynamic" but it warns me there is not enough "space" on either partition to do so, which is simply not true.

TLDeleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive :DR

I want to:

1. Merge the left most 100MB un-allocated partition (previously system reserved) with the main 800+GB partition
    2. Remove the temp paging file alert on start up
    Thank you in advance for any advice.

Wade.

Wade Hardie, Jan 12, 2019
  3. No space on hard drive due to system reserved patition and installer files

Hi Ruth,

The issue may occur due to corrupted system files or memory full. In order for us to assist you, please answer the questions below:

• What is the exact error message?
    • Can you please provide us a screenshot of your hard drive status.

To isolate the issue, we suggest to check this article of Andre Da Costa:
    How to free up disk space in Windows
    . It contains troubleshooting steps and explanation pertaining to the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jan 12, 2019
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Deleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive

Disk space

Hi,

Windows create a special partition when installed on a new disk. This is usually under the name System Reserved. This partition contains these two important things:

• Boot Manager and Boot Configuration Data
    • Startup files used for BitLocker Drive Encryption

These two should not be deleted as it is essential for booting and Bitlocker drive encryption. Regarding Windows upgrade, it will not take the allotted space for the System Reserved Partition. It will just take the remaining space outside of it. If you have
    30 GB of space, and 13.5 GB is for the System Reserved, then whatever amount of space is remaining on the C drive less than all the installed apps and stored files, then that's what the Windows upgrade will take.

Hope this answers your query. Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Anne Ros, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

Deleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive

1. Deleting files does not reclaim disk space - instead System & reserved expands on the drive - Similar Threads - Deleting files does

2. Windows system and reserve files taking up too much space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows system and reserve files taking up too much space: Hi i have brand new laptop running windows 10. Basically an empty laptop, after the latest windows 10 updates, i kept getting pop up informing me that i have a low ssd disk space and my battery can't seems to charge when the power is plugged in. i need help on this!...
  3. System Reserved Partion on MBR Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System Reserved Partion on MBR Disk: I just noticed, after over almost 2 years with Win10, that my system disk (MBR) has a System Reserved partition. I had thought that didn't happen on an MBR disk. Is it needed and can I remove it? Thank you. 79902
  4. Expand System Reserve Partition

Expand System Reserve Partition: Hi, Have a HP - Windows 10 Desktop. It originally came with windows 7. It upgraded fine to Windows 10, but when the latest version was released, it is unable to update as the System Reserved Partition is only 128 MB. I am also not getting the latest security updates as...
  5. reclaim space

reclaim space: hi...I recently installed xubuntu on a old packard bell dot .s netbook, I had lots of problems so decided to remove it. I used minitool partition wizard to delete partition but wiped it instead,now minitool partition shows that partition as other,is this the same as...
  6. Expanding Windows Storage Spaces

Expanding Windows Storage Spaces: Hello... I've recently added a couple of drives to my existing Storage Pool which is made up of the following drive sizes: 2x4TB 4x3TB The pool is set for parity. The total pool capacity showing is 18.1TB and currently using 8.27TB however when I check the drive...
  7. Reclaim space on hdd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reclaim space on hdd: I need to reclaim some space on the hard drive that my Windows 10 is installed on this pc. There is a Windows.old.000 folder (13.2 GB) and a Windows.old folder (9.09 GB). Can I still use Disk Cleanup with Windows 10 to do this, and is it ok to do it? 12190
  8. dual boot ubuntu how reclaim disk space

dual boot ubuntu how reclaim disk space: hi I have win 10 home I put a dual boot on it and need to reclaim space on disk 84489
  9. Space on System Reserved E

Space on System Reserved E: I keep getting every few minutes a warning that I am out of disk space on system reserved E. I have seen on the page ( I don't know what to call it ), but the icon for system reserved E shows a complete red line, it's full. I don't know how to get rid of the problem and get...
  10. System and reserved files use 70GB. How delete them?

in Windows 10 Support
    System and reserved files use 70GB. How delete them?: Hello! Can any one help me. I was checking my storage on pc and find out that almost all GB are are used by system and reserved files, and it is more than 70GB. How can I delete these files? Thanks [img] 17646