Windows 10: Deleting files/folders access denied

Discus and support Deleting files/folders access denied in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok I have a flash drive connected to my network directly inserted into my router. After much research and toying with the settings I finally got it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dellerbe, Jan 4, 2019.

1. dellerbe Win User

Deleting files/folders access denied

Ok I have a flash drive connected to my network directly inserted into my router. After much research and toying with the settings I finally got it to show up in Windows File Explorer and it appears under "THIS PC" as one of my drives on the "NETWORK" and when I view "NETWORK" it shows up as a Computer Device. However it had some old files on it that I have not been able to delete. I was able to delete most of the stuff on it but I put a copy of my "Favorites" folder on it and it WILL NOT let me delete it. I've made sure my login is set as "Administrator", changed my login from Microsoft Login to a Local Login, and even went through a tutorial where I activated the "BUILT IN" Administrator and set ACTIVE to YES from the Command Prompt. So as far as I can tell I should be able to change any of the file attributes on any file or folder on the system. I can write and delete "NEW FILES" to the drive from "This PC" and also from "Network", as I tried it with a small mp3 file, but I can not DELETE that old Favorites Folder or any of the files/folders within it either tried that too. Now, I did see that it is showing attributes of READ ONLY and tried to remove the READ ONLY attribute but it will not let me. Keeps giving me ACCESS DENIED and something about "UNIX USER/ROOT". I tried to change the security settings for everyone, unix user/root and the unix group but it will not allow me to change these attributes/security settings. This is where I'm stuck.........I've seen this before but I thought if I got Administrator login it would take care of it but there is obviously something I'm missing here. Please HELP!

Deleting files/folders access denied [​IMG]

Deleting files/folders access denied [​IMG]

:)

dellerbe, Jan 4, 2019

2. 0 byte folder cannot be deleted Problem

I have a 0 byte folder and I can't delete it. I'm using win 7 64 bit.
    please help *Cry :cry:

It says access denied when trying, please login as admin blah blah msgs....

I've searched the net for hours, Trying unlocker, fileassassin, and all other 'file deleter' programs out there. tried on safe mode, tried the cmd commands, even in cmd it says access denied, tried the closing explorer.exe and doing the command. I tried changing permissions and atrributes and it says you do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings. I logged in as the Administrator and still no hope.

the folder originally contained all my movies but since then i moved(using the move command) all of them someplace else(on another hdd) and I thought it was gone but the folder is still there, 0 bytes. It was shared when i deleted it and still appeared on the shared folders list but inaccessible coz it was already deleted so i 'unshared' the folder from the shared folders list. and so the problem began. the folder is still there and it is undeletable

One surefire way to do it without deleting my files is copying all other files to another HDD and reformat it and copy it back again but my hdd is currently contains 1 tb out of 1.36 and i dont have any hdds with that free space to use.

ALSO I CAN'T OPEN THE FOLDER it says

Location is not available

'directory' is not accessible.
    Access is Denied.

i think its more of a windows glitch than a virus problem

help??? *Frown Deleting files/folders access denied :(

lyndonguitar, Jan 4, 2019
  3. OnBoard Win User
    Denied access to files

Yeah, that's "fun". Installed Vista on another HDD and it wouldn't let me delete the old one in the other, just access is denied. Changing the owners wasn't enough tho, had to do that, inherit all the rights from parent folder and then give full rights to my self on that folder *Smile Deleting files/folders access denied :)

OnBoard, Jan 4, 2019
  4. Polterry Win User

Denied Access to delete files

Thanks for suggestions. I tried AVG Remover but it found nothing; probably because I had already deleted the bulk of the files. I also tried Command and Safe Mode but both gave Denied message. So the question remains how do I get access to delete files? Would changing to MS login at Start help?

Polterry, Jan 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Deleting files/folders access denied - Similar Threads - Deleting files folders

2. Denied Folder Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Denied Folder Access: I am the sole administrator on my computer and there are also no other users, and when I click "security tab", it won't let me configure user access. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/denied-folder-access/e4b38c4a-8106-4783-96d4-8c2c6a35f528
  3. Access denied when attempting to delete folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied when attempting to delete folder: I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10, some time ago, and I wanted to delete the Windows.old folder--since I no longer need it.I was stopped by an "access denied" message. And yes, I am in ADMINISTRATOR mode, since I AM the owner of this machine.Really? I'm being denied...
  4. Access denied when attempting to delete folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied when attempting to delete folder: I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10, some time ago, and I wanted to delete the Windows.old folder--since I no longer need it.I was stopped by an "access denied" message. And yes, I am in ADMINISTRATOR mode, since I AM the owner of this machine.Really? I'm being denied...
  5. Folder Access Denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Access Denied: When I try to delete an old windows 10 download it keeps saying "You require permission from DESKTOP-Name\my name to make changes to this folder. I already have take ownership of everything in it. But I still can't delete anything. [IMG]...
  6. Folder Access Denied

Folder Access Denied: Hi, I keep receiving a pop-up box that tells me I need permission to perform this action. Why am I getting this when I am signed in as administrator? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-access-denied/c4b15789-9e65-47ab-afe0-04de0692824a
  7. Deny Access To Folder and Files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deny Access To Folder and Files: Hi, I want to deny total access to the folder, its subfolders and its contents. There are many files in the folder. But only the folder is processed. What is wrong with this command line? icacls "C:\Users\John\Pictures\Folder" /deny "John":(RX,W) /t /c I even tried :...
  8. Access Denied while deleting WSL files from the Packages folder

Access Denied while deleting WSL files from the Packages folder: I installed and the uninstalled Ubutnu 18.04 for WSL from the Microsoft store. The uninstall did not remove all the files from my system and they are still there in AppData\Local\Packages\CanonicalGroupLimited.Ubuntu18.04onWindows_79rhkp1fndgsc I cannot delete the files...
  9. Access denied to folders and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Access denied to folders and files: Runnin win 10 since 2 weeks. Trying to copy all files from external HD to new second internal HD. some files copied no problem, other files and folders will either not copy (administrator rights) or are outright "access denied". All are films, no programs. I got full...
  10. Denied Access to delete files

in Windows 10 Support
    Denied Access to delete files: I am experiencing the infamous Blue Screen irregularly and I suspect from reading posts it is linked to AVG Internet Security product. I bought this but later canceled it and thought I had uninstalled it. However later I found that the uninstallation left a lot, if not all,...