Windows 10: Deleting files without affecting the OS.

Discus and support Deleting files without affecting the OS. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to delete all my files on my laptop but keep all files related to the OS(Windows 10). What is the best way to do this? I am not able to delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gauarv021, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Gauarv021 Win User

Deleting files without affecting the OS.

I want to delete all my files on my laptop but keep all files related to the OS(Windows 10). What is the best way to do this? I am not able to delete some files for some crazy reason.

:)

Gauarv021, Oct 10, 2019
  2. Alden Rey Win User

deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Oct 10, 2019
  3. Ryan Fra Win User
    All files deleted

Hi,

Backup files will not be affected if the Windows 10 upgrade was installed on the hard drive intended for the operating system. If a clean install was performed where the backup files was stored, then all files will be deleted.

For Windows 10 upgrade, we can manually recover the files by searching for Windows.old. Here are the steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Go to Local Disk (CDeleting files without affecting the OS. :).
    • Select Windows.old.
    • Select User then your Username.
    Let us know if you need further help.

Ryan Fra, Oct 10, 2019
  4. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Deleting files without affecting the OS. - Similar Threads - Deleting files without

2. Delete os file from my hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete os file from my hdd: i have installed new ssd to my device so need to remove os and software file. Have to make space, which all things need to be deleted in hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-os-file-from-my-hdd/de1c1966-eec1-4e1f-9b65-b8dd2a7c2535
  3. will pc upgrade affect my os?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    will pc upgrade affect my os?: In the next few days, I am planning to upgrade my pc by changing its motherboard, processor and ram for better ones. However, my 480gb ssd with tiny 11a modified version of windows 11 is the only disk I have. Can I just plug the ssd on the new pc and everything will work just...
  4. will pc upgrade affect my os?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    will pc upgrade affect my os?: In the next few days, I am planning to upgrade my pc by changing its motherboard, processor and ram for better ones. However, my 480gb ssd with tiny 11a modified version of windows 11 is the only disk I have. Can I just plug the ssd on the new pc and everything will work just...
  5. Is Affected item will be deleted with threats?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Affected item will be deleted with threats?: If a program is infected with a threat in Windows, will it be deleted along with the threat?.Is Affected item will be deleted with threats?I have this threat...
  6. OS files got deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OS files got deleted: Hi, can someone help me how to get back the deleted OS files? I accidentally deleted it, not knowing it was actually important file.Google Chrome is gone and I need it for online classes... Thank you...
  7. deleting old OS files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    deleting old OS files: Hi there I just moved my OS from my SSD to my M.2 SSD using Samsung magician everything worked fine and windows is booting from the new drive but all the files are still on the original SSD would it be okay to delete everything from that drive and just have the files on...
  8. “Reset PC without deleting files” but still deleted files.

“Reset PC without deleting files” but still deleted files.: I recently reset my PC without deleting files to resolve an issue i have been having with my keyboard. It not only did not resolve my issues, but it did not save my files either. Any possible ways to recover them? I have tried a few things but figured I would go here next....
  9. deleted os

deleted os: Hi, I have deleted the original windows 10 os 15 gb backup from my pendrive which is given along with the laptop... Please help me to recover os from my pendrive .... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-os/891f7246-6832-4d4f-b6e3-751dd21aa3fc
  10. Expanding C drive without affecting My OS Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Expanding C drive without affecting My OS Windows 10?: I want to expand or merge the C drive (58GB) with the adjacent partition (90GB).Both are NTFS Volume. I do not want any problem with my Operating System. Can I expand or merge C drive with the adjacent partition to the right. Adjacent partition is empty. If yes how and with...