Windows 10: Deleting older Windows.old

Discus and support Deleting older Windows.old in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; on my 32bit Win 10 pc I ran these instructions:- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-32-bit-64-bit-version-windows-10 Unfortunately I managed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlanFarthing, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Deleting older Windows.old

on my 32bit Win 10 pc I ran these instructions:-

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-32-bit-64-bit-version-windows-10

Unfortunately I managed to just update to 32bit; used "Upgrade this PC now" instead of "Create installation media (USB etc"

When I found my mistake I did the whole process again this time using "Create installation media (USB etc"

I now have successfully got my PC running 64bit Windows 10.

However one left over from my abortive 32bit attempt is its Windows.old file. NOT the Windows.old file from the 64bit installation.

Using Disk Cleanup does not find this older Windows.old ( I used Cleanup to delete the 64bit Windows.old)

I tried just deleting 32bit .old but it wants a "TrustedInstaller". I have made sure I am logged as elevated administrator, but although I can delete some of the folders/files in this older Windows.old I can't delete the whole folder. Although only taking up 2.69GB of disk space I would like to get rid of it.

I see that the owner of these files is "TrustedInstaller" I guess when I installed the 64bit version I got rid of the TrustedInstaller for the 32bit version.

How can I delete this older Windows.old?

Any advice please?

:)

AlanFarthing, Mar 5, 2019
  2. Ruz San Win User

Delete old version of windows

Hi Erle,

Some running files or services may be preventing you from deleting the old version of Windows on your computer, or there may be a conflict regarding permissions. We'd like to know some things to get a better picture of the problem and help you resolve it.
    Please answer the following:

• Are you trying to delete the Windows.old folder?
    • What error do you get when deleting the file?
    • Did you find the Previous Windows installation(s) file when you ran Disk Cleanup?
    • How long has it been since you upgraded the computer to Windows 10?

You can try the suggestions shared by SpiritX MS MVP on this
    page
    to permanently delete the folder of your previous operating system.

Let us know if any of the steps work for you.

We'll be glad to offer additional assistance if needed.

Regards.

Ruz San, Mar 5, 2019
  3. bestellen Win User
    Deleting contacts from Windows 10

When you say Windows Mail Live are you referring to Mail app or Windows Live Mail?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open Windows Live Mail.
    • Press Ctrl + 3 using your keyboard. Right-click on the contact to delete it if it is a single contact.
    • Highlight all contacts by pressing Ctrl + A.
    • Click Delete located on the Ribbon bar.
    • Click OK when you see the message These contacts will also be deleted from Hotmail, Messenger, and other Windows Live services.

After following the steps above, all your contacts that you have manually added to your account will be deleted however, contacts coming from third-party sites such as Facebook will not be deleted unless you remove Facebook from your account.

For Mail app:

Open People app then delete the contact.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

bestellen, Mar 5, 2019
  4. Deleting older Windows.old

Windows old files deleting

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community. I will be glad to assist you.

I suggest you follow this steps and check if it helps.

• Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.

• If you're prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

• In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, click Clean up system files.

• If you're again prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

• Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then click OK.

• In the message that appears, click Delete Files.
    Hope this helps.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Thank you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Mar 5, 2019
Thema:

Deleting older Windows.old

1. Deleting older Windows.old - Similar Threads - Deleting older old

2. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history not deleting older backups: For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance...
  3. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history not deleting older backups: For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance...
  4. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Does copying folders delete older files in old folder with the same name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does copying folders delete older files in old folder with the same name?: I create back-ups manually, with the exception of deleting massive files from the drive/pc that I created a back-up from. Now I find it easy to just ctrl+c/v everything, but what happens with older files in the old folder I replace with the new one? Does it "delete" the...
  6. Delete old windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete old windows: I just upgraded to SSD and installed fresh windows in it. Nowhow can I delete the old windows installed on my HDD? Will just deleting the windows folder in the drive do the job or is there any workaround?...
  7. Deleting old files of windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting old files of windows: Should I delete the older files of windows 10 versions on my laptop or should I keep them? submitted by /u/cCrUzCc [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fbgexs/deleting_old_files_of_windows/
  8. Delete Old Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete Old Windows: I have a rather large file taking up valuable space on my primary hard drive. I know that long ago perhaps on Windows 7 when that file appeared I just deleted it. That does NOT seem to work well with Windows 10. I tried going into Safe Mode to delete it, but that just got me...
  9. delete windows old

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    delete windows old: how do I delete windows old from my Toshiba tablet it keep saying I need administratorpermmisn https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/delete-windows-old/a4c97ee1-eb22-40b8-8980-5140d8613ce7"
  10. Deleting Windows Old Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleting Windows Old Files: My Tablet just updated to Version 1803 Build 17134.81 As strange as it sounds, Windows Disk Cleanup says I have 11.5 GIGS! of "Old Windows Installation." Is this safe to delete/remove? 111537