Windows 10: Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage...

Discus and support Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, this is going to be bizarre today and...please mind me, I don't know some specifics like how much space I had before. 1. Wanted to clear out some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kitten-versus-world, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:02 AM.

1. Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage...

So, this is going to be bizarre today and...please mind me, I don't know some specifics like how much space I had before.

1. Wanted to clear out some space. I was puzzled what was taking up so much gbs on my 220 gbs usable total, I believe--256 is technical laptop. I installed a cool program that visualized usage and saw that "One Drive" was taking 20 gbs. When I went I clicked onto One Drive I noticed it basically had my entire desktop on it which had a ton of stuff...I thought this was some issue with the cloud recreating everything, so I deleted it--I didn't want the cloud to be on. My desktop seemed 100% intact when I went to delete the trash can. YES. I made sure it was One Drive and not my desktop.

2. Disaster. 5 minutes later when I checked, everything was gone off my desktop--keepsakes, save files, games, pictures, etc. What??

3. I decided to try restoring my computer to a restore point earlier. Maybe I have a chance?!

4. DISASTER 2.0. The restore point fails. I check it; it claims that it ran out of space or something like that.

5. What is bizarre is that...after the restore point failure, I BELIEVE the gbs free on the system went from 30-20gbs...TO 1000 MBS?!? This is less than it was earlier.

6. In a stupid fit of panic I tried undoing the restore point which, yes, is an option.

7. IT DROPS TO 100 MBS?!?!?!

8. I scanned through my entire hard-drive trying to figure out where the roughly 50 gbs that were unaccounted for were...but I couldn't find them. The program that worked earlier? It is only able to sense 144 gbs in total and is acting like this is all my computer can store...but trust me, I looked at it before, it was higher.

9. What's worse is that the restore point that was from earlier disappeared after the failed one so I have no more hope of retrieving my files

Ok. So. I'm just confused and shocked. Please advise me on what to look at and do. I don't want to touch anything else.

Note: I don't think it was a problem with the visualization program. Moreover, I know how stupid I was to take for granted the One Drive folder was away from my desktop but I was just in chill mode and...well, nothing like this had ever happened and I took for granted since the desktop stuff didn't slide into the trashcan visibly that it wasn't the same set of files. But it was.

:)

Kitten-versus-world, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:02 AM

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage... :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage... :eek:hwell:

3. Dia01 Win User
    My Documents Files - Deleted?

For some reason all the files apart from My Games/Crysis Wars have been somehow deleted without my doing. Strangely, I went to play Crysis Wars the other day and my profiles were gone, thinking nothing of it I proceded to reset them up. Also strangely, I did not install any games folders in My Documents, somehow the folders Games/Crysis Wars just appeared, when, I really don't know. I have install my OS on a seperate hard drive and My Documents as well as every other folder used as storage is linked to another seperate HDD. Tried a system restore, still no good, why? Has Crysis somehow deleted/corrupted this folder? confused:

4. silkstone Win User

Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage...

Cannot delete .Trash-999 folder

So I am trying to delete a folder from my secondary HDD called .Trash-999 that is from and ubuntu bootdisk. I managed to do it on the c:\ drive, but on my d:\ drive i am getting an error telling me that i don;t have permission to delete it.

I recently had a problem with windows permissions and fixed it on the c:\ drive with a windows re-install but i accidentally set up windows on d:\ The files contained within are from a mistaken windows install, which i tried to delete through ubuntu, it seems that ubuntu was able to move the files to the trash, but unable to delete them entirely.
    When i go to security on the folder, it tells me that i don't have permission to do this action. although the permissions on the folder gives re/write to everyone. However, when i go to the individual folders in there, no one has permission and when i try to give permission i get an access denied message.

Update - I just found a nifty little program that adds a take ownership option to the right click menu, this has allowed me to (finally) delete all the folders/files i need to.

Thema:

Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage...

1. Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage... - Similar Threads - Deleting Drive folder

2. Why did one drive delete all my files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why did one drive delete all my files.: Thankfully I made a Local back up of my source code. Please would somebody at Microsoft tell me why, when i canceled OneDrive that i didn't ask for back upin the middle of it to save on bandwidth did it delete all my local files resulting an incomplete backup, resulting in...
  3. The upper one says delete only my files the other one delete file and clear hard drive....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The upper one says delete only my files the other one delete file and clear hard drive....: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/The_PureZocker [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f8fwzi/the_upper_one_says_delete_only_my_files_the_other/
  4. ONE DRIVE DELETING MY FILES AUTOMATICALLY

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ONE DRIVE DELETING MY FILES AUTOMATICALLY: 1. OneDrive keeps deleting my files overnight. i cant work like this! sometimes i find an entire folder in the recycle bin, i restore the folder but the files dont come with the restore - now they are gone, forever? 2. I have OneDrive for business, and by default we get...
  5. Unlinking OneDrive from Desktop deleted my Files & Folders

Unlinking OneDrive from Desktop deleted my Files & Folders: I recently installed OneDrive on my Laptop and synced it to My Documents and Desktop. I noticed my battery was being drained very quickly and so I decided to unsync One Drive from my Desktop but keep syncing My Documents folder. Doing this caused all of my files and...
  6. Deleted entire registry folder.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Deleted entire registry folder.: So I was messing around with the pc and I found the registry. I deleted one of the folders which was Hkey_Local_Machine. After that I try to open safari and it said no memory. Then my pc shut down and went to automatic repair. The log file said:...
  7. deleted folder won't leave my desktop

deleted folder won't leave my desktop: I've been trying to fix this for a while, but I've had no luck. I had a file folder on my desktop that I didn't need anymore, so I deleted it. It was fine until I restarted my pc. Now the folder is back, and trying to delete it doesn't work because it says it is not there....
  8. Is there any way to delete One Drive entirely from my Windows 10 Laptop?

Is there any way to delete One Drive entirely from my Windows 10 Laptop?: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 laptop which runs the 64-bit Windows 10 Home Edition. I don't want all my files uploaded to Onedrive, I don't want to sign into it and thus I want it off my computer. I also want to delete all the files that have already been uploaded there...
  9. Storage Spaces deleted my files

Storage Spaces deleted my files: I woke up my PC and received a message from Windows 10 that "We have turned on Storage Sense for you". The service deleted my files. How do I turn off Storage Sense permanently? It was already turned off in Settings > System > Storage, but it turned itself back on and...
  10. Accidentally started a deletion of my desktop folders.

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidentally started a deletion of my desktop folders.: Some months ago, I accidentally knocked some unknown keys on the upper Left Hand side of my desk keyboard. Instantly a pop up flashed up with a progress bar saying "Deletion 28% completed" or something very similar. My Desktop short cut to my important folders were...