Windows 10: Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage...

Discus and support Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, this is going to be bizarre today and...please mind me, I don't know some specifics like how much space I had before. 1. Wanted to clear out some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kitten-versus-world, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage...

So, this is going to be bizarre today and...please mind me, I don't know some specifics like how much space I had before.

1. Wanted to clear out some space. I was puzzled what was taking up so much gbs on my 220 gbs usable total, I believe--256 is technical laptop. I installed a cool program that visualized usage and saw that "One Drive" was taking 20 gbs. When I went I clicked onto One Drive I noticed it basically had my entire desktop on it which had a ton of stuff...I thought this was some issue with the cloud recreating everything, so I deleted it--I didn't want the cloud to be on. My desktop seemed 100% intact when I went to delete the trash can. YES. I made sure it was One Drive and not my desktop.

2. Disaster. 5 minutes later when I checked, everything was gone off my desktop--keepsakes, save files, games, pictures, etc. What??

3. I decided to try restoring my computer to a restore point earlier. Maybe I have a chance?!

4. DISASTER 2.0. The restore point fails. I check it; it claims that it ran out of space or something like that.

5. What is bizarre is that...after the restore point failure, I BELIEVE the gbs free on the system went from 30-20gbs...TO 1000 MBS?!? This is less than it was earlier.

6. In a stupid fit of panic I tried undoing the restore point which, yes, is an option.

7. IT DROPS TO 100 MBS?!?!?!

8. I scanned through my entire hard-drive trying to figure out where the roughly 50 gbs that were unaccounted for were...but I couldn't find them. The program that worked earlier? It is only able to sense 144 gbs in total and is acting like this is all my computer can store...but trust me, I looked at it before, it was higher.

9. What's worse is that the restore point that was from earlier disappeared after the failed one so I have no more hope of retrieving my files

Ok. So. I'm just confused and shocked. Please advise me on what to look at and do. I don't want to touch anything else.

Note: I don't think it was a problem with the visualization program. Moreover, I know how stupid I was to take for granted the One Drive folder was away from my desktop but I was just in chill mode and...well, nothing like this had ever happened and I took for granted since the desktop stuff didn't slide into the trashcan visibly that it wasn't the same set of files. But it was.

:)

Kitten-versus-world, Mar 26, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage... :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage... :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Mar 26, 2020
  3. Dia01 Win User
    My Documents Files - Deleted?

For some reason all the files apart from My Games/Crysis Wars have been somehow deleted without my doing. Strangely, I went to play Crysis Wars the other day and my profiles were gone, thinking nothing of it I proceded to reset them up. Also strangely, I did not install any games folders in My Documents, somehow the folders Games/Crysis Wars just appeared, when, I really don't know. I have install my OS on a seperate hard drive and My Documents as well as every other folder used as storage is linked to another seperate HDD. Tried a system restore, still no good, why? Has Crysis somehow deleted/corrupted this folder? confused:

Dia01, Mar 26, 2020
  4. silkstone Win User

Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage...

Cannot delete .Trash-999 folder

So I am trying to delete a folder from my secondary HDD called .Trash-999 that is from and ubuntu bootdisk. I managed to do it on the c:\ drive, but on my d:\ drive i am getting an error telling me that i don;t have permission to delete it.

I recently had a problem with windows permissions and fixed it on the c:\ drive with a windows re-install but i accidentally set up windows on d:\ The files contained within are from a mistaken windows install, which i tried to delete through ubuntu, it seems that ubuntu was able to move the files to the trash, but unable to delete them entirely.
    When i go to security on the folder, it tells me that i don't have permission to do this action. although the permissions on the folder gives re/write to everyone. However, when i go to the individual folders in there, no one has permission and when i try to give permission i get an access denied message.

Update - I just found a nifty little program that adds a take ownership option to the right click menu, this has allowed me to (finally) delete all the folders/files i need to.

silkstone, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage...

1. Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage... - Similar Threads - Deleting Drive folder

2. One drive deleted my entire computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive deleted my entire computer: One drive took every file from my computer and moved it into the cloud then sent me Mutiple messages about being over my storage limit and I was no longer able to send and download emails or create new documents until I bought or cleared storage. I never chose to have my...
  3. One drive deleted my entire computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One drive deleted my entire computer: One drive took every file from my computer and moved it into the cloud then sent me Mutiple messages about being over my storage limit and I was no longer able to send and download emails or create new documents until I bought or cleared storage. I never chose to have my...
  4. One drive deleted my entire computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop: I was trying to make more space on my computer and ended up deleting my Onedrive folder, I looked at my desktop and saw that everything was gone. I'm trying to get those files back, they aren't on my Onedrive on the website because I never upgraded my storage space. There's...
  6. Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop: I was trying to make more space on my computer and ended up deleting my Onedrive folder, I looked at my desktop and saw that everything was gone. I'm trying to get those files back, they aren't on my Onedrive on the website because I never upgraded my storage space. There's...
  7. Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. My One Drive randomly deleted all my files on my Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My One Drive randomly deleted all my files on my Desktop: I was reading a story on Chrome, then minimized it, and when I did, image my surprise when almost every app besides Steam, Origin, GeForce Experience, & Recycle Bin, with my VERY IMPORTANT text files gone, and my folders deleted. Heck, even my Screenshots folder was somehow...
  9. Entire Desktop Deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Entire Desktop Deleted: Hello, I am using a Dell Inspirion 7386 on Windows 10. I downloaded this battery manager called BatteryBar Pro, which I mistakenly downloaded onto my desktop. I promptly clicked uninstall so I could redownload it to the right folder, and it ended up deleting and...
  10. ONE DRIVE DELETING MY FILES AUTOMATICALLY

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ONE DRIVE DELETING MY FILES AUTOMATICALLY: 1. OneDrive keeps deleting my files overnight. i cant work like this! sometimes i find an entire folder in the recycle bin, i restore the folder but the files dont come with the restore - now they are gone, forever? 2. I have OneDrive for business, and by default we get...