Windows 10: Deleting or Formatting a Partition

Discus and support Deleting or Formatting a Partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all I have just reinstalled Win10 on our PC but installed it to the wrong partition. Now it won't let me delete or format the d drive because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Woodnome, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Woodnome Win User

Deleting or Formatting a Partition

Hi all

I have just reinstalled Win10 on our PC but installed it to the wrong partition.

Now it won't let me delete or format the d drive because it holds system files/folders.

Any suggestions as to how to get rid of it ?

Many thanks

:)

Woodnome, Dec 4, 2017
  2. DominicP Win User

My 256gb sd card isn't being recognized as 256gb when formatting

If the partition on the SD card is 8GB formatting cannot change its size.

Go to Disk Management, as Eeshwar Kumar said, delete the 8GB partition and create and format a new partition.

DominicP, Dec 4, 2017
  3. Access denied to hard disk partition

Hello,

when i try to open the disk E folder (which is a partition created)

i have tried formatting the partition through disk management.

when i hit delete volume, it says for force deletion click yes

and when i hit yes, it says access is denied . any help how to format and delete the partition

Bhushan. V, Dec 4, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. If you did delete it then windows wouldnt work does it have the boot files on the drive if so you could move them onto c: we really need to see a screenshot from disk managment

Samuria, Dec 4, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    What is the status of the files on the drive?
    Have you backed up all of the files?
    Had you made a backup image using Macrium, Acronis or similar software?
    If you needed to delete partitions, format the drive, make an unallocated drive, would you be able to perform a clean install?

zbook, Dec 4, 2017
  6. Woodnome Win User
    Thanks guys - I'll take a screenshot when I get home

Woodnome, Dec 4, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    1) When using disk management please widen volume and status columns so that the contents of each row are completely viewable and nothing is cutoff.

2) Download and install Minitool partition wizard:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

3) Post an image into the thread from minitool partition wizard

4) please follow up with answers to post #3

zbook, Dec 4, 2017
  8. Woodnome Win User

zbook:

What is the status of the files on the drive? No personal files on there - clean install
    Have you backed up all of the files? See above
    Had you made a backup image using Macrium, Acronis or similar software? No need - clean install of Win10
    If you needed to delete partitions, format the drive, make an unallocated drive, would you be able to perform a clean install? Tried to format the d drive/partition but it wouldn't let me even though I was doing it as Administrator

Woodnome, Dec 4, 2017
  9. Samuria Win User
    You can't format a drive with system files on it as Windows will lock it you can boot an install DVD format the drives and do a clean install. It's best practice to only have the c drive in when doing an install as then all files will be in the correct drive

Samuria, Dec 4, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
    zbook, Dec 4, 2017
  11. Woodnome Win User
    Hi Samuria

Yes I would normally just install to the C drive but when I was going thru the install process I had 2 drives come up with the SAME partition number AND the same volume amount, which is why I accidentally picked the wrong one.

Realised this when I booted up the PC and it turned out to be a dual boot.

I now want to wipe the D partition and get rid of the system files/folders in there but not sure how to go about it.

Really doesn't bother me about doing yet another clean install as there's nothing on there anyway.

Woodnome, Dec 4, 2017
  12. Woodnome Win User
    zbook

I tried that but didn't get the options to delete the partition

Woodnome, Dec 4, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

The drive can be cleaned using diskpart.

In case the drive is not GPT and you want GPT:

diskpart
    List disk
    select disk 0 (make sure disk 0 is where you want to install Windows, check twice)
    clean
    Convert gpt (if required for UEFI)
    exit
    exit

Proceed with install and let Windows create partitions it needs.

zbook, Dec 4, 2017
  14. Woodnome Win User
    tried the "clean" option last night but wouldn't let me do it - can't remember the wording that came back on cmd prompt

Woodnome, Dec 4, 2017
  15. zbook New Member
    Another options if the drive is easily removed is to place it in a hard drive bay of another computer or into a hard drive enclosure.
    Then you can run the clean option using diskpart.

zbook, Dec 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Deleting or Formatting a Partition - Similar Threads - Deleting Formatting Partition

2. What's the difference between deleting and formatting a partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the difference between deleting and formatting a partition?: I just cleaned installed and wanted to know the difference. If I delete all partitions, do I still get rid of the malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-deleting-and/a54bc31f-0b33-4746-88e7-a994ad3eabc9
  3. What's the difference between deleting and formatting a partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the difference between deleting and formatting a partition?: I just cleaned installed and wanted to know the difference. If I delete all partitions, do I still get rid of the malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-deleting-and/a54bc31f-0b33-4746-88e7-a994ad3eabc9
  4. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition: I wanted to reinstall windows 10 because my pc become unusable like, "System Service Exception BSOD " Too many errors on event viewer. And I got this problem that I cannot explain. english is not my first language First thing I do when I notice this problem is when I...
  5. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition: I wanted to reinstall windows 10 because my pc become unusable like, "System Service Exception BSOD " Too many errors on event viewer. And I got this problem that I cannot explain. english is not my first language First thing I do when I notice this problem is when I...
  6. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. raw partition not formatting

raw partition not formatting: i had an ransomeware attack it locked all my files . so i decided to install new window . when i tried to format or delete my hdd partition 2 the bsod appear and my partition became raw . the bsod showed kmode exception not handled plssssssss help as soonn as possible...
  8. Formatting a partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formatting a partition: Before doing this I want to be 100% certain I am not formatting the entire C: drive. In Disk Management if I format a partition that had the recovery files will the rest of the hard drive be left alone? 128708
  9. Can't delete or format partitions (Surface Book 2)

Can't delete or format partitions (Surface Book 2): So two days ago, I turned on my computer and it does not boot. I get a windows failed to start error 0xc0000102 [ATTACH] So I then attempt to install windows from my USB. I put the windows recovery tool on my usb and try to load windows 10 on to my surface book 2 I go...
  10. Delete or format partition during clean install windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delete or format partition during clean install windows: Hey guys i just join this forum and today i've plan to clean install my PC well i kinda noob with this one and i like to ask some question. Once you get to the Custom (Advanced) tab of Windows 10 clean install there are options to delete the partition, format, etc. Which one...