Windows 10: Deleting Recent items from Windows Search

Discus and support Deleting Recent items from Windows Search in Cortana to solve the problem; Whenever I type any software's name in the "Type here to search" section of the taskbar, a list of recent files I opened with the software appears in a... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Koobrick, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Koobrick Win User

Deleting Recent items from Windows Search

Whenever I type any software's name in the "Type here to search" section of the taskbar, a list of recent files I opened with the software appears in a side pane. I really hate such cluttering but the bigger problem is that I have deleted many such files but they still keep appearing in the list and the "Remove from this list" option doesn't even work. Is there any way to delete such items from those lists? Deleting Recent items from Windows Search de07ba51-c97a-4444-911e-3d1854874f25?upload=true.jpg

:)

Koobrick, Oct 24, 2020

2. "Recent Items" list vs Opening a folder for Recent Items

Deleting Recent items from Windows Search :) Hello all... I am not understanding how MS elected removed the list of recent files and replaced it with opening a folder to see the recent files. That is now a 2 step process because you have to close the folder. I used the "recent items" a lot and I miss it - I'm sure others do ass well.
    The solutions offered here only are partial, they only add the link to the start menu / jump lists, but those still open an actual folder which then has to be closed. If you open multiple files, then you have to close multiple folders. Odd...
    I'm not a programmer - but I'm thinking (hoping!) that someone around here may be knowledgeable enough to find a way to return the actual "Recent Items" list, without opening a folder.
    I'm thinking I may not be alone on this one...
    Thank you!!

sunnyorlando, Oct 24, 2020
  3. Recovering a deleted email from the deleted items folder or Recycle Bin

Thank you for the suggestion. The only message I find at the bottom of the message list in the deleted items folder is "To find older messages, use Search". My search did not work.

Thanks.

ChandrasekarapuramRSubramaniam, Oct 24, 2020
  4. Raniel V. Win User

Disabling recent items from search tab and windows explorer.

Good day! I'm Raniel, an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

Kindly follow the steps below to turn off recent items:

1. Go to Settings > Personalization > Start

2. On the right part of the window, toggle the option for "Show recent opened items in Jump List on Start or the taskbar and in File Explorer Quick Access" to disable it.

I hope this helps.

Raniel V., Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Deleting Recent items from Windows Search - Similar Threads - Deleting Recent items

2. Remove "recents" of apps from search

in Cortana
    Remove "recents" of apps from search: Hi! When we search something in Windows 10 from the search button in the taskbar, suppose any media player. We can see the recent media played using that particular application. Any idea how to remove that? I find it pretty annoying. I've attached a picture to help you...
  3. Issue with Windows 10 Recent Items

in Cortana
    Issue with Windows 10 Recent Items: I am having an issue with Windows 10 not showing recently used files in Network drives but if I open a file locally it does show up in Recent Items under This PC. I have the option turned on to show Recent Items and I even cleared it but the issue seems to persist. Am I...
  4. Disabling recent items from search tab and windows explorer.

in Cortana
    Disabling recent items from search tab and windows explorer.: I had been using a USB and I just noticed that the files I accessed are still searchable in the search bar and windows explorer even after I removed the USB. How do I delete them?...
  5. Deleting items from Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleting items from Lock Screen: I found how to add items to my Lock Screen but not delete them. My lock screen has a mail count when I think I cleared them all 15 now and weather for DC when I live in Lilburn, GA. I know this is trivial but it is maddening. How do I fix this?...
  6. How to disable or delete recently closed or recent activity in search window

in Cortana
    How to disable or delete recently closed or recent activity in search window: [IMG] Data persists even when I delete programs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-or-delete-recently-closed-or-recent/8256dbdc-6b3a-4b2e-ab5c-7e2a32716d29"
  7. Search returns a shortcut that has no location, not in recent items folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search returns a shortcut that has no location, not in recent items folder: Hi, I did a search of my C drive, and it returned an entry with a name of course, but a blank location and folder. Hmmm. On right clicking it and checking properties, it says it is an "Internet shortcut". The only other information on the properties window is an "Internet...
  8. Windows Search Not Finding Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Not Finding Items: [img] Windows doesn't work correctly. I am trying to find OneDrive app but its only showing the folder. Any idea? By the way, i already tried to rebuild my search index but still doesn't work. 123134
  9. Remove certain items from Start search

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Remove certain items from Start search: When I search for apps sometimes "Best match" is far from being the best and is almost always something I would use very rarely or never. Is it possible to manually reorder items or just remove them all together? I'm used to hit Start, type the beginning of app's name and hit...
  10. Items from "Settings" app not included in Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Items from "Settings" app not included in Search: Hello, Recently I have a problem with the Search feature. The "Settings" app items like Check for Updates are not included in Search or search box in Settings app anymore, only items from Control Panel are shown. Seems like this problem happened after last update Windows...