Windows 10: Deleting Recent items from Windows Search

Discus and support Deleting Recent items from Windows Search in Cortana to solve the problem; Whenever I type any software's name in the "Type here to search" section of the taskbar, a list of recent files I opened with the software appears in a... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Koobrick, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Koobrick Win User

Deleting Recent items from Windows Search

Whenever I type any software's name in the "Type here to search" section of the taskbar, a list of recent files I opened with the software appears in a side pane. I really hate such cluttering but the bigger problem is that I have deleted many such files but they still keep appearing in the list and the "Remove from this list" option doesn't even work. Is there any way to delete such items from those lists? Deleting Recent items from Windows Search de07ba51-c97a-4444-911e-3d1854874f25?upload=true.jpg

:)

Koobrick, Oct 24, 2020

2. "Recent Items" list vs Opening a folder for Recent Items

Deleting Recent items from Windows Search :) Hello all... I am not understanding how MS elected removed the list of recent files and replaced it with opening a folder to see the recent files. That is now a 2 step process because you have to close the folder. I used the "recent items" a lot and I miss it - I'm sure others do ass well.
    The solutions offered here only are partial, they only add the link to the start menu / jump lists, but those still open an actual folder which then has to be closed. If you open multiple files, then you have to close multiple folders. Odd...
    I'm not a programmer - but I'm thinking (hoping!) that someone around here may be knowledgeable enough to find a way to return the actual "Recent Items" list, without opening a folder.
    I'm thinking I may not be alone on this one...
    Thank you!!

sunnyorlando, Oct 24, 2020
  3. Recovering a deleted email from the deleted items folder or Recycle Bin

Thank you for the suggestion. The only message I find at the bottom of the message list in the deleted items folder is "To find older messages, use Search". My search did not work.

Thanks.

ChandrasekarapuramRSubramaniam, Oct 24, 2020
  4. Raniel V. Win User

Disabling recent items from search tab and windows explorer.

Good day! I'm Raniel, an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

Kindly follow the steps below to turn off recent items:

1. Go to Settings > Personalization > Start

2. On the right part of the window, toggle the option for "Show recent opened items in Jump List on Start or the taskbar and in File Explorer Quick Access" to disable it.

I hope this helps.

Raniel V., Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Deleting Recent items from Windows Search - Similar Threads - Deleting Recent items

2. cannot delete items after most recent update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot delete items after most recent update: I had an update on my win 10 MSI laptop yesterday. My desktop also got the same update but only on my laptop is the delete optionright click is completely gone. I cannot delete anything as of now. It wont let me move folders to trash, all searched options for a fix have...
  3. cannot delete items after most recent update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot delete items after most recent update: I had an update on my win 10 MSI laptop yesterday. My desktop also got the same update but only on my laptop is the delete optionright click is completely gone. I cannot delete anything as of now. It wont let me move folders to trash, all searched options for a fix have...
  4. Can't delete any recent items on Taskbar by right click from Word

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete any recent items on Taskbar by right click from Word: I ran into this weird question a couple of months ago.I thought it would be gone after a reboot, but noI'm NOT able to delete any recent items on the taskbar from Word. But I AM able to do that by right click on other apps like explorer or notepad I've tried to clear...
  5. Can't delete any recent items on Taskbar by right click from Word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete any recent items on Taskbar by right click from Word: I ran into this weird question a couple of months ago.I thought it would be gone after a reboot, but noI'm NOT able to delete any recent items on the taskbar from Word. But I AM able to do that by right click on other apps like explorer or notepad I've tried to clear...
  6. Can't delete any recent items on Taskbar by right click from Word

7. How to delete recent items from Protection History?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to delete recent items from Protection History?: I saw a question and tried to answer it, but the thread is locked. I had the same question as I recently had 3 files blocked from saving to OneDrive folder locations this week after WIN11 update.Here is the answer I...
  8. Restore recently deleted items from the Microsoft Calendar App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore recently deleted items from the Microsoft Calendar App: Every time I signed into my Microsoft Calendar App I received a notice on the top of the app that my calendar was out of date. I use Yahoo Mail. I searched for solutions for the synching problem and uninstalled and reinstalled my Yahoo account. Now that the accounts are...
  9. Restore recently deleted items from the Microsoft Calendar App

Restore recently deleted items from the Microsoft Calendar App: Every time I signed into my Microsoft Calendar App I received a notice on the top of the app that my calendar was out of date. I use Yahoo Mail. I searched for solutions for the synching problem and uninstalled and reinstalled my Yahoo account. Now that the accounts are...
  10. Disabling recent items from search tab and windows explorer.

in Cortana
    Disabling recent items from search tab and windows explorer.: I had been using a USB and I just noticed that the files I accessed are still searchable in the search bar and windows explorer even after I removed the USB. How do I delete them?...