Windows 10: Deleting Registry Entries for Uninstalled Kies Software

Discus and support Deleting Registry Entries for Uninstalled Kies Software in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all I recently uninstalled Kies from my laptop. Not long ago, on bootup, a popup asked did I want to run MASetupCleaner.exe. I declined. Then I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ausgumbie, Jan 18, 2018.

1. ausgumbie Win User

Deleting Registry Entries for Uninstalled Kies Software

Hi all

I recently uninstalled Kies from my laptop. Not long ago, on bootup, a popup asked did I want to run MASetupCleaner.exe. I declined. Then I went online and discovered it was a Kies file.

I found two items in Task Manager, Startup Tab, called "Program" and brought up Command Line there to find that these anonymous files were, in fact:

Kies.exe/preload (Command line details as they appear: "C:\Program" Files (x86)\Samsung\Kies\Kies.exe/preload)

KiesPDLR.exe (Command line details as they appear: "C:\Program" Files (x86)\Samsung\Kies\External\FirmwareUpdate\KiesPDLR.exe Run)

I disabled both in Task Manager, Startup.

In regedit, I looked up LOCAL MACHINE and found nothing. Then, I looked under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. There, I found:

Deleting Registry Entries for Uninstalled Kies Software [​IMG]

I gather it won't create problems if I delete both? Or ... ?

Also, anyone able to tell me what the entry "(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)" means?

By now it will be obvious I know little about registry matters*Sad.

Many thanks

:)

ausgumbie, Jan 18, 2018
  2. Qiloff Win User

remove entry from add/remove programs

The uninstall utility might have entries which point to non existing programs (apps). Programs which were deleted from inside the program, but it's uninstall procedure did not clean out the registry entry. I have found no way of removing the offending entry
    with out editing the registry. The conventional place to search the registry for these errant entries is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

I also found additional uninstall registry entries at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Use safe practices when editing the registry.

Qiloff, Jan 18, 2018
  3. not deletable program in my `Uninstall or change a program` list

This is the registry entry location for these listings.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Find it and delete the entry and restart your PC

You have to run regedit as ADMIN

The entry can be listed as an alpha-numeric long name

It may not say chromium.

seahawks65, Jan 18, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you have at least 3 possible options.

1. Reinstall the program, and install either Revo Uninstaller or Geek Uninstaller (free).
    Then run whichever of those programs you choose and uninstall your program using that. They do a scan after uninstalling for leftover entries and give you the option of removing them.

2. Search your registry (I recommend O&O regedit (free) as one search lists all finds rather than regedit which stops after each find) and delete every entry you consider appropriate.

Back up carefully before you do that.

3. If you still have a System Restore point before you installed the program, you can use System Restore.

Note- I habitually use one of those programs when uninstalling software as many programs leave minor 'leftovers'.

dalchina, Jan 18, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    When you create a registry entry with reg add it automatically creates a default value if you don"t supply one. You can set the default value (to "Yes" or "No" or "1" or "2" or whatever you want). "REG_SZ" is the data type (string) as opposed to "REG_DWORD" (number) for example. If type is not specified REG_SZ is assumed but it can be any type you secify. See Registry Value Types (Windows)

If you create a key and don't set a default value for it (which is usually) then you'll get the Default REG_SZ value not set entry.

So this will create the key and add the default "value not set" value.
    reg add "hklm\Software\test"

This will create the key and will set default value to "Yes" (notice the /ve )
    reg add "hklm\Software\test" /ve /d "Yes"

And this will create the key and make both the default value and a value called "Something" and set it to "No" (notice /v not /ve ).
    reg add "hklm\Software\test" /v "Something" /d "No"

Normally it is clearer to make a key and then use named values to hold your data it is just that the original registry didn't have named values so the default is a hangover from that (a value with a null name).

6. ausgumbie Win User
    Many thanks both!

Ix07, I'll digest all this a bit slowly, not being very technically knowledgeable - or skilled.

dalchina, is there no 4th way? I'd installed two Kies apps (one was for Samsung Galaxys up to a certain firmware version, the second was for Galaxys after that version). The thought of installing and uninstalling both is daunting. Likewise all the backing up. The apps I installed - what - two or so years ago. I don't want to restore back that far.

Please say there's a 4th way,

Cheers

ausgumbie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Deleting Registry Entries for Uninstalled Kies Software - Similar Threads - Deleting Registry Entries

2. Registry entries deleted By erroneously

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry entries deleted By erroneously: I deleted Yellow and red Color Entries in autorun sysinternals Now in my laptop wifi Bluetooth keyboard touched HDD not working, device manager shows error code 32, events shows that device deleted. Please Help...
  3. Registry entries deleted By erroneously

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry entries deleted By erroneously: I deleted Yellow and red Color Entries in autorun sysinternals Now in my laptop wifi Bluetooth keyboard touched HDD not working, device manager shows error code 32, events shows that device deleted. Please Help...
  4. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  5. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  6. Registry Entry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Entry: Does anyone know what this registry entry is? When I run McAfee Quick Clean this registry entry can never be removed, is there a reason? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab}...
  7. registry entries

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    registry entries: ActiveX/COM Issue LocalServer32\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechRuntime.exe -ToastNotifier HKCR\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab} https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/registry-entries/739b6f1f-5482-41d7-98cc-c9cfc7df078c
  8. Is this a normal registry entry and can I delete it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is this a normal registry entry and can I delete it?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Ebojager [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l4em36/is_this_a_normal_registry_entry_and_can_i_delete/
  9. Entries in Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Entries in Registry: Hello, While making some registry editing, found 17 entries named "Sign.Media". Don't know what it is, have not any program this name. Can I remove them from the registry ? Answers will be appreciated Thanks 140198
  10. Garbled Registry Entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Garbled Registry Entries: Hello, Was looking at registry to make a backup of some entries and saw the following garbled entries. Was wondering what this was all about. Recently, my machine, after latest windows updates, has been having issues waking up after Hibernate. This issue seemed to be...