Windows 10: Deleting registry keys with embedded nulls

Discus and support Deleting registry keys with embedded nulls in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm not sure if most people have heard of this, but I am having an issue with a registry key that has a bunch of null values placed in it. Pretty much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bobsagetfullhou, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Deleting registry keys with embedded nulls

I'm not sure if most people have heard of this, but I am having an issue with a registry key that has a bunch of null values placed in it. Pretty much this piece of malware\software (I have no idea what put it there) added a bunch of null values to the registry key so it makes it impossible for me to view or delete this value. When double clicking on it I get an error saying "Environment cannot be opened". Trying to right click on the key and changing permissions gives a similar error.

There a bunch of tools out there like RegDelNull that's supposed to delete these type of keys but they seem to no longer work with Windows 10.

Anybody have any success deleting this pesky keys on Win 10?

Thanks *Smile

:)

bobsagetfullhou, Mar 4, 2016

2. Explorer opens when ActiveSync 4.5 does

You are the MAN! I am familiar with the registry key, it's one of my RegEdit favorites. However, the
    Default value had somehow been changed to something...NULL maybe? Because when I deleted it, it changed to
    (value not set), whereas before it had nothing apparently in the field. I cleared both out, disconnected...no window! Reconnected...no window! I just tried it again and no window!

When I saw Default there and apparently nothing in the field I thought it was empty and kept browsing the registry.

So, those with this issue should delete Default in both keys. You can't actually delete
    Default, but you can delete any value that has been assigned to it.

Mike Welch3, Mar 4, 2016
  3. How does one run a "Null service"? (missing /dev/null)

I have a problem with Git version control for windows called "Git for Windows". Whenever the git executable is run, it throws the following error:

fatal: open /dev/null or dup failed: No such file or directory

Also tried the following:

>echo hello > nul

The system cannot find the file specified.

Firstly, /dev/null sounds like a Unix/Linux term. What is /dev/null in case of Windows? Secondly, it worked before, so an Windows Update might have broken it.

A user who had a similar problem fixed it by: "The problem was that the Null service was not running on my machine and had to edit the registry to get it working properly again..."

Here is what I have under key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices\Nul

\Device\Null

What specifically has to be changed in the registry? Is the Null service in Services?

YanisLukes, Mar 4, 2016
  4. Private Win User

Deleting registry keys with embedded nulls

1st, make a backup of the registry.
    2nd, use any boot disk that have a Registry Editor functionality e.g. Kaspersky Rescue Disk and delete the desired null keys.

Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10

Please note that mistakes could cause your system unbootable, please be cautious.

Private, Mar 4, 2016
  5. Will give it a go. Thanks

6. Unfortunately did not work. Rescue Disk loaded but the regedit program did not load. Know of any other bootable reg editors that work with win 10?

7. Are you an administrator?

AidanGamerdude, Mar 5, 2016
  8. LMiller7 Win User

What is the exact path to these keys? I don't like the idea of giving advice on deleting keys I know nothing about? Where they are has a bearing on how they can be deleted, and whether this is a good idea.

Edit: Creating registry keys with embedded nulls is a legitimate technique which is used by Windows and some other software. It is not just malware.

LMiller7, Mar 5, 2016
  9. Key is located in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\*RANDOM STRING OF LETTERS*

bobsagetfullhou, Mar 5, 2016
  10. Private Win User
    Private, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Deleting registry keys with embedded nulls - Similar Threads - Deleting registry keys

2. How to delete a registry key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete a registry key: I get an error when I try do delete a registry key in regedit.exe saying "Cannot delete {...}. Error while deleting key." I found this article How to add, modify, or delete registry subkeys and values by using a .reg file. It seems to say for me to rename the key by adding...
  3. How to delete a registry key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete a registry key: I get an error when I try do delete a registry key in regedit.exe saying "Cannot delete {...}. Error while deleting key." I found this article How to add, modify, or delete registry subkeys and values by using a .reg file. It seems to say for me to rename the key by adding...
  4. Deleted registry key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted registry key: I want to use my computer with WoL. But cann't doing. I search on the net, that have a registry key HKLM/System/Terminal Server/TSConnection what is make it. In my system this key isn't.Where I have to import it from?...
  5. deleted registry key

deleted registry key: i mistakenly deleted my windows update registry key, so i want to know how to get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-registry-key/2ac7e4bf-f806-4817-a978-89debefb6838
  6. Registry Key Deletion

Registry Key Deletion: I have a webcam that I can use on two other computers other than my main desktop. I know the problem are the Registry entires but when I try to delete Registry keys related to USB Webcams VID located in the following registry:...
  7. Safe to delete this registry key?

Safe to delete this registry key?: Hello, I'm trying to convert my user account to a local account. Can I safely delete this registry key? HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities\*** Email address is removed for privacy *** (where "email" is my email username)...
  8. I deleted registry key.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I deleted registry key.: i deleted registry key at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RmSvc\Security because Acer Quick Access had problems with it when instaling (it was weird, is it stopped at installing cause it could not either stop/create/delete Radio Management...
  9. embedded OEM key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    embedded OEM key: Windows 10 install will not accept my embedded product key. What do I do now?? 14313
  10. Deleted wrong registry keys

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted wrong registry keys: Just upgraded to Win10 from 7 and didn't create a restore point before I started to fix a network adapter problem. Regretting it now. Found a solution to my problem that included deleting the Config key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network But...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. [Internal – Corpnet Required] 2018-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4346783)

2. Internal – Corpnet Required] 2018-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4346783)