Windows 10: Deleting/renaming files on desktop takes a long time

Discus and support Deleting/renaming files on desktop takes a long time in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good day, I recently updated my operative system from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. When I had Windows 8.1, I had a problem with deleting/renaming files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Slim101, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Slim101 Win User

Deleting/renaming files on desktop takes a long time

Good day, I recently updated my operative system from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. When I had Windows 8.1, I had a problem with deleting/renaming files on the desktop, it simply just took way too long. So one of the main reason really in upgrading was that it could maybe resolve my small issue but it turns out the issue remained the same. So do any of you know what can cause this, could it be something wrong with my SSD Harddrive? Thank you in advance for taking your time to answering my question! *Smile

:)

Slim101, Aug 18, 2018
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Aug 18, 2018
  3. Cant Delete Files From Desktop

Well, ran into a weird bug with vista, for some reason i cant delete files from desktop, this normaly happens to .exe files, the ONLY fix seems to be to KILL explorer.exe, and delete the file, then restat explorer, anybody got any idea why this happens?

Rebo&Zooty, Aug 18, 2018
  4. Ruz San Win User

My Downloads Renamed Itself to Desktop

Hi Matt,

To rename the folder back to Downloads, follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Open Local Disk (CDeleting/renaming files on desktop takes a long time :).
    • Open Users.
    • Open the folder of the user profile you are experiencing this issue in.
    • Rename the second Desktop icon you see as Downloads.
    • Close File Explorer then reopen it.
    • Check if the Downloads folder has been renamed successfully.

Let us know if this resolves the problem.

Ruz San, Aug 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Deleting/renaming files on desktop takes a long time - Similar Threads - Deleting renaming files

2. Files in Explorer taking a long time to display

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files in Explorer taking a long time to display: Similar to a question only asked very recently, my case might be the same. The problem is Explorer not displaying files for some time after selecting a folder and this seems to have happened following my recent update to Win10 21H1 although I cannot be certain. This problem...
  3. Start-MpScan takes a long long time on a small file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Start-MpScan takes a long long time on a small file: A Windows forum user asked why running Start-MpScan on a file took so long. So I ran a test. I gave it a 300kb .jpg image. Powershell as Admin, Start-MpScan -ScanPath ./image.jpg and .. voom... it took 30 seconds. 30 seconds? On an i7 with 32gb and a NVidia 2xxx...
  4. sometimes file copy takes long time

in Windows 10 Support
    sometimes file copy takes long time: on my dad 7 year old laptop, some time copying a small word/pdf file of 4-5 pages takes one minute or more to copy from one folder to another this is random problem 175714
  5. Right click on Desktop takes long time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right click on Desktop takes long time: For some reason when I use the RMB while in desktop it takes around 5 seconds to open and only in desktop... In games,Programs,etc.... it is smooth. Any way to fix that? submitted by /u/AhmedKiller2015 [link] [comments]...
  6. File renaming, deleting, copying, downloading takes long time in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File renaming, deleting, copying, downloading takes long time in Windows 10: Hi, I have an HP laptop with Windows 10. I have a recent issue that my PC takes a long time to rename files within my PC, but when I connect any other mobile devices and do the same thing there it doesn't show any effect, it just works fine and fast. When I rename any...
  7. desktop taking long time to refresh

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop taking long time to refresh: hello ,this is mohan , my lap which is installed with windows 10 is taking more than 3 minutes to refresh on the desktop ....so please anyone can give a suggestion to solve this problem ....
  8. Delete account and data taking a very long time.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete account and data taking a very long time.: I'm just concerned that it's taking a long time to delete a local account. Is this normal or is something weird happening? How long does it take? submitted by /u/Big_Noobus [link] [comments]...
  9. Desktop takes long time to load Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop takes long time to load Windows 10: Hey guys, recently i had a problem with desktop environment in windows 10 it takes long time to load, this happened after resetting my version and install system updates after the new boot. before the problem i was deleting or moving some files to empty space on my hard...
  10. *** How To Fix > Windows Takes Long Time To Delete Files ***

in Windows 10 Support
    *** How To Fix > Windows Takes Long Time To Delete Files ***: Here is the simple solution to fixing the Windows 10 taking long time to delete files and folders problem. THE PROBLEM: When you delete a big file (or folder) or lots of files in File Explorer, you notice in the popup window the green progress bar goes to 99% and then...