Windows 10: Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD

Discus and support Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently installed an SSD and cloned W10 onto it from my old HDD Disk 0. I now want to use that HDD for storage, but as you can see from the screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Robert1Oakfields, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD

I recently installed an SSD and cloned W10 onto it from my old HDD Disk 0. I now want to use that HDD for storage, but as you can see from the screen grab it has a system reserved partition J: and a Recovery Partition on it.

Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD c4419f9e-985c-4331-8ac8-3299b820f776?upload=true.jpg

How do I delete the redundant system reserved and recovery partitions from the old HDD as they are no longer required as everything is running from the SSD Disk 2. Your help would be gratefully received!

:)

Robert1Oakfields, Mar 13, 2020

2. If Recovery partition the same as System Reserved?

My former installation of Windows 7 had system reserved on a secondary hard drive (I created this partition).

I have now upgraded to Windows 10.

I notice that on the main drive (C) there is a partition named (Healthy) Recovery Partition.

Is this a new term for System Reserved?

What I'd like to know is does the old System Reserved relate only to Windows 7 and can it be safely deleted.

JamesBogie, Mar 13, 2020
  3. Deleting a "System Reserved" partition

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

Please be assured that we will do our best to help you.

• What happens when you try to delete the System Reserved Partition?

• Do you receive any error code/message? If yes, what is the exact error code\message you get?
    I suggest you to start your computer in safe mode with Networking and check if you are able to delete the System Reserved Partition.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started.

Refer the article below:

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

The system reserved partition contains boot files, you may create a recovery drive before deleting it.

Hope it helps.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are happy to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Mar 13, 2020
  4. poolmon Win User

Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD

Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

Thanks for all the info guys.

Both original & target SSD's are listed as MBR as opposed to UEFI. I may have created a partition unknowingly in getting the original/new unformatted drive recognized, but I don't recall taking any steps that Windows did not step me through.

Not that an upgrade to WIN 10 Pro is contemplated, but I suspect that having no System Reserved partition will not allow that to happen, after seeing how the original WIN 10 upgrade created a problem for some WIN 7 users that had a smaller 100mb vs 500mb System Reserved partition.

poolmon, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD

1. Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD - Similar Threads - Deleting system reserved

2. Remove Old SSD System Reserved and Recovery Partitions to New SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove Old SSD System Reserved and Recovery Partitions to New SSD: Hello,I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 onto a new m.2 SSD and I noticed that my System Reserved and Recovery partitions were still present and active on my old boot SSD Disk 1. I wasn't able to delete them through Disk Management or through an elevated powershell,...
  3. System reserved partition only 50 mb and no recovery partition?

System reserved partition only 50 mb and no recovery partition?: I did a fresh install of windows 10 2004. The when I viewed my partitioning system using EaseUs Partition Master, it only showed me system reserved partition50 mb, then another driveletter: E, then C drive, then the rest of the unallocated space in the that same order. Then I...
  4. System Reserved Partition

System Reserved Partition: Hello, I did some storage upgrade on my system by adding an M.2 NVME 1TB SSD drive and cloned my old drive that has windows 10 operating system. I now have two systems reserved partition on both the old and newly installed drive. The system reserved section limits my...
  5. I want to delete the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Support
    I want to delete the system reserved partition: Ok, on the 3rd install of Windows 10 Home (after many tweaking accidents on the first two installs), I ended up with a system reserved partition. :/ I want to remove it, to make my backup software happier. I really don't want to install Windows 10... again. Here's a screen...
  6. Delete Old System Reserved Partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete Old System Reserved Partition?: Hi, I have just built a new PC and have installed a new installation of Windows on an NVMe drive. I then took out my old hard drives from my previous PC and installed them in my new one, I want to be able to use them all for storage. When I go into Disk Management I see all...
  7. Recovery and EFI partition instead of System Reserved partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery and EFI partition instead of System Reserved partition: I forced reinstalled my windows 10 after my boot got corrupted by deleting linux on dual boot. Now I used diskpart to wipe my SSD before I began installation. When the Win10 installation is finished. I noticed that I have Recovery and EFI Partitions on Disk management. I'm...
  8. Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition: I built a WIN 10 (home version) desktop a few months back with a single SSD as its C Drive. It all works fine. Today I went to clone that drive using Samsung Data Migration. Disk Management shows that my originating SSD has both a healthy, primary bootable (main) partition...
  9. Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition: I built a WIN 10 (home version) desktop a few months back with a single SSD as its C Drive. It all works fine. Today I went to clone that drive using Samsung Data Migration. Disk Management shows that my originating SSD has both a healthy, primary bootable (main) partition...
  10. Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions

Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions: I have Windows 10 Home Version 1803 installed in my pc. Windows is installed on Disk 5. Disk 5 contains my C drive and D partition that I created after Windows was installed. It also contains a partition named System Reserved which Windows created when I installed Windows...