Windows 10: Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp

Discus and support Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello Should I be deleting .tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp? If so, when I try, I get a message saying I need administrator permission. As a user, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnthonyGiorgianni1, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp

Hello

Should I be deleting .tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp?

If so, when I try, I get a message saying I need administrator permission. As a user, I am an administrator. Even if I log on as "Administrator," I get the same message saying I need administrator approval. I notice the files are marked "read only." But if I try to change that in the Security tab, the options are grayed out.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks.

:)

AnthonyGiorgianni1, Apr 30, 2019
  2. neilpzz Win User

What is c:\windows\temp\~DFC63CE4D90820F0F9.TMP

It is a temporary file created by some program at some point. You can just delete it there is no real point in trying to read it.

Any files with an extension of tmp in the temp folder are by definition temporary files and can be deleted. If you can't delete it try starting in Safe Mode and try again.

neilpzz, Apr 30, 2019
  3. Hundreds of MSI####.tmp files in C:/ Drive

Here's what helped me:

The ICACLS command.

Imagine my Windows ID is Joseph and I have hundreds of MSI*.tmp empty folders on c:\. I'm not going to change the security properties of each one, giving JOSEPH-AND-MARY\Joseph the ability to delete MSI1234.tmp and all the other MSI*.tmp folders.

No, I need a miracle! The ICACLS command is that miracle.

Step 1:

icacls c:\MSI*.tmp /grant JosephDeleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp :(F,DE)

Step 2:

Now you can delete those pesky folders in Windows Explorer or any utility that deletes empty folders.

(Note: I did run TAKEOWN c:\MSI*.tmp first, so I'm not sure if that was necessary.)

SWalkerELT, Apr 30, 2019
  4. Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp

These temp files will not delete

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

We understand that, you are unable to delete temp files on Windows 10 and I'd be certainly help you.

For a better understanding of your issue, answer the query below:

• Do you receive any prompt or error code?
    • What happens, when you try to delete temp files?
    I suggest you to follow these methods below and check, if it works:

Method 1:

• Press Windows key + R key together, to open RUN command Window.
    • Type "temp" in the RUN Command Window, to open temp folder and then delete the files and folders inside the temp folder.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:

• Press Windows key + R key together, to open RUN command Window.
    • Type "%temp%" in the RUN Command Window, to open temp folder and then delete the files and folders inside the temp folder.
    If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3:

I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode, then perform disk cleanup on Windows 10 and check, if it works.

I suggest you to refer the article and check, if it helps.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Let's try to perform disk cleanup on Windows 10 and check, if it works.

Disk cleanup in Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Apr 30, 2019
Thema:

Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp

1. Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp - Similar Threads - Deleting tmp files

2. Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting: I have checked Environment Variables. Both "TEMP" and "TMP" are set to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP.Any advice? Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tmp-files-appearing-in-folders-and-not-deleting/87e480be-1879-4f00-b1a6-1f43ab0db03c
  3. Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting: I have checked Environment Variables. Both "TEMP" and "TMP" are set to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP.Any advice? Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tmp-files-appearing-in-folders-and-not-deleting/87e480be-1879-4f00-b1a6-1f43ab0db03c
  4. Curious if it is safe to delete .tmp files with in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Curious if it is safe to delete .tmp files with in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp...: I've been curious as to if it is safe to delete these .tmp files in the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp directory. If not the can someone please provide a full SAFE list of directories for any and all TEMP files that are 100% SAFE to delete within Windows 10. Thanks,...
  5. Curious if it is safe to delete .tmp files with in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Curious if it is safe to delete .tmp files with in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp...: I've been curious as to if it is safe to delete these .tmp files in the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp directory. If not the can someone please provide a full SAFE list of directories for any and all TEMP files that are 100% SAFE to delete within Windows 10. Thanks,...
  6. Curious if it is safe to delete .tmp files with in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Deleting .TMP files from the C:\Windows\system32\spool\printers folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Deleting .TMP files from the C:\Windows\system32\spool\printers folder: We OFTEN come across times when we have to clear a print job and find a TON of .tmp files in the Windows spooler printers folder. Stopping the spooler service does not release these files so most often they cannot be deleted. After downloading and running Process Explorer...
  8. tmp files .tmp

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    tmp files .tmp: I can empty all data in local temp folder , but as soon as open any web browser like Chrome or Microsoft edge they reappear. The files look like fc11a109-3f15-45b0-b483-630e1584a674.tmp. If I try then to delete the files individually, I get the message " The action can't be...
  9. Tmp files/folders in C:\Windows\Temp

in Windows 10 Support
    Tmp files/folders in C:\Windows\Temp: I was recently looking in C:\Windows\Temp and found many (hundreds) of folders in this directory. These folders each contains a file called "tmp00000000", these files are zero length. The folders in Windows\Temp are all in the form "tmp00000xxx" or "tmp0000xxxx", where...
  10. Can I Delete these .tmp files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can I Delete these .tmp files?: Looking at this folder <C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\Endpoint Security\EFR\sentree\protections> I see a lot of tmp files - over 1400 - with a name UIDxxxxx_info.json.tmp, where x is a number, and all showing the current date. Is it safe to delete these files, not that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. DEL /Q C:\MSI*.tmp