Windows 10: Deleting Undeletable Files

Discus and support Deleting Undeletable Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Let's say you have deleted a file that was present in different locations on your computer and also shows up on your desktop. But for whatever reason,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jeanne doe, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Deleting Undeletable Files

Let's say you have deleted a file that was present in different locations on your computer and also shows up on your desktop. But for whatever reason, the file won't go away. When you try to delete or send this file to the recycling bin, a message pops up, saying: "This is no longer located in [insert X location here]. Verify the item's location and try again."

How can you completely delete files like this without this type of message from popping up again?

:)

Jeanne doe, Dec 3, 2020

2. undeleting files

How do I undelete a file I just deleted?

DaveMeglio, Dec 3, 2020
  3. Easo Win User
    Deleted Media

file undeleters, like one on tuneup utilities. But if something was written to disk after deletion, data probably are gone.

Easo, Dec 3, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Deleting Undeletable Files

Cannot delete Windows Apps files

Suggested options for undeletable items:
    1. Delete when Windows is not running
    a. from a command prompt via SHIFT + left click Restart and navigate to a command prompt
    - if you are very confident in using it.
    b. boot your system from a boot disk such as Kyhi's availabel from the top of the Software and Apps section. Familiar file explorer

2. Use a 3rd party utility which can be set to delete on reboot (outside Windows).
    e.g.
    EMCO Moveonboot
    Fileassassin (files only)

Note: radical steps to remove all those saves relatively little space.
    Much safer to use the tutorials here to remove unwanted apps using Powershell.

dalchina, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

Deleting Undeletable Files

1. Deleting Undeletable Files - Similar Threads - Deleting Undeletable Files

2. Undeletable file on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Undeletable file on desktop: Recently I searched up on google images and tried to drag an image from the page directly to the desktop, but this happened. I tried to delete this file by right-clicking and selecting "delete", but it didn't work. I also tried to select this file and use SHIFT+DELETE, but...
  3. Undeletable file on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Undeletable file on desktop: Recently I searched up on google images and tried to drag an image from the page directly to the desktop, but this happened. I tried to delete this file by right-clicking and selecting "delete", but it didn't work. I also tried to select this file and use SHIFT+DELETE, but...
  4. File undeletable

File undeletable: The file I want to delete is undeletable and I don't have any program that uses that folder. I tried to use CMD but doesn't workPlz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-undeletable/e6631877-5062-4719-8689-96a749a001e8
  5. File undeletable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File undeletable: The file I want to delete is undeletable and I don't have any program that uses that folder. I tried to use CMD but doesn't workPlz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-undeletable/e6631877-5062-4719-8689-96a749a001e8
  6. File undeletable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Delete undeletable file that does not exist

Delete undeletable file that does not exist: I spent hours trying to sort his out. I found the answer here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/WINDOWS/en-US/be3fe04d-e725-4199-828c-30eef70fcf95/unable-to-delete-folder-could-not-find-this-item?forum=winserver8gen. Special thanks to Razya73...
  8. undelete able file

undelete able file: I recently found a 42 GB folder on C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps that should've been deleted a long time ago folder name: CodemastersSoftwareCompan.F12019PCGP_1.66.9979.0_x64__4cfye3zbe1gaw which is an old game folder and when I try to delete it I need properties and I have...
  9. undelete a file

undelete a file: I deleted a file while I was trying to move it to a different folder. Is it possible to recover it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/undelete-a-file/26990f6f-3499-41b8-9ef3-5d57cab56ff9"
  10. Undeletable "-Åt." File

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Undeletable "-Åt." File: This file showed up in my Windows 10 Downloads directory. It is named -Åt. (the period is an extension separator, not the end of the sentence). There is no extension following the separator, and it cannot be deleted or renamed. Webroot SecureAnywhere cannot scan or remove it,...