Windows 10: Deletion of text, files, folders without prompting

Discus and support Deletion of text, files, folders without prompting in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, My computer has started deleting text, files, folders without prompting. Your help in understanding how to fix this, or at least to understand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by prosandcons99, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Deletion of text, files, folders without prompting

Hello,

My computer has started deleting text, files, folders without prompting. Your help in understanding how to fix this, or at least to understand what is happening, would be very much appreciated.

The following are what I have noticed. Please know, the following happen about half of the time I use my computer. However, when they happen, all of the following occur:

-Files get deleted when I select them in file manager. Fortunately, there is a hard stop before permanent deleting files in the trash folder, or else I would have lost many documents.

-Text after cursor get deleted rapidly (as if someone is holding down backspace) after using SHIFT buttons this deletion stops as soon as I push any key.

-Text deletes when I use cursor to select.

-Text deletes within Excel and Word documents. In Ecel, the deletion action happens so many times that CTRL-Z is not effective; i.e. the only way to recover the lost information is if have saved recently and can close the document without saving.

-Certain keys on the right hand side of the keyboard only work periodically (I, K, ",", 8) but do work about one in three times I try to restart the computer.

The above do not happen every time I start my computer. What helps:

-Restarting sometimes helps

-Avoiding shift and control keys

What I have tried and has not helped:

-Malwarebytes to scan for virus - none found

-Creation of new windows account - no change in symptoms noted above.

Thank you in advance for everyone's input.

:)

prosandcons99, Jul 19, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Deletion of text, files, folders without prompting :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Deletion of text, files, folders without prompting :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jul 19, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
  4. Joan Pin Win User

Deletion of text, files, folders without prompting

Can't delete the folder

Hi Yasas,

One of the possible reasons why you're getting this concern is due to appropriate permission on your file or folder. We suggest to use the Command Prompt in deleting your files. To do that, please follow the steps below:

• Type cmd on your search bar and press Enter to open
      Command Prompt.
    • In the Command Prompt, enter del and location of the folder or file you want to delete and press
      Enter.
    For example: del c:\users\JohnDoe\Desktop\text.txt

Let us know how it goes.

Joan Pin, Jul 19, 2019
Thema:

Deletion of text, files, folders without prompting

1. Deletion of text, files, folders without prompting - Similar Threads - Deletion text files

2. Can shortcuts to folders be deleted without deleting the folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can shortcuts to folders be deleted without deleting the folders?: I turned on my laptop this morning and two shortcuts were on the desktop to file folders. When I deleted them, the folders themselves were also deleted. I was able to restore them from recycle, but the shortcuts were also restored. Can I get rid of these shortcuts while...
  3. Can shortcuts to folders be deleted without deleting the folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can shortcuts to folders be deleted without deleting the folders?: I turned on my laptop this morning and two shortcuts were on the desktop to file folders. When I deleted them, the folders themselves were also deleted. I was able to restore them from recycle, but the shortcuts were also restored. Can I get rid of these shortcuts while...
  4. Can shortcuts to folders be deleted without deleting the folders?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Deleted folder from command prompt

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted folder from command prompt: I was deleting some useless folders with command prompt, and I tried to delete a folder called "." or ".." Then desktop's icons deleted, and application bar's icons too. Chrome also formatted, Office logged out, and some other programs also did. Then I rebooted and now...
  6. Delete all folders without files with a certain extension in them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete all folders without files with a certain extension in them: Let's say I have a folder with around 200 subfolders in it. In some of those subfolders there are .pdf and .mp3 files, and in some of them .txt, .pdf and .mp3 files. Now let's say I want to delete all subfolders that DON'T CONTAIN .txt files. Is there a quick and clean way to...
  7. delete key works to delete text but not to delete files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    delete key works to delete text but not to delete files: for some reason delete works to delete text but not files in explorer. is there a fix for this? I have a MSI GF Series GF65 9SEXR-436CA Thin. if that matters...
  8. How to delete files and folders using Command Prompt in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to delete files and folders using Command Prompt in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]At times, all our attempts to delete files or folders via File Explorer yield no results. Many reasons can be attributed to the failure, which can lock down the files/folders and prevent their deletion. In such cases, you can use [...] This post How to...
  9. Need help using Command Prompt to delete files & folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help using Command Prompt to delete files & folders.: This is the name of the folder I am trying to delete: I:\WD Backup.swstor DONT USE\Gary Smetana\N2M3NzM4ZTM3ZGZlNDE1OD\Volume{83749cc6-0000-0000-0000-501f00000000}\Users\Gary Smetana\Desktop\Favorites\Higgs Boson and GeV as mass I put that address into the following...
  10. how to use cmd prompt to delete files and subdirs without harming dir

in Windows 10 Support
    how to use cmd prompt to delete files and subdirs without harming dir: I was able to use cmd to save all important files to external drives, thanks to advice from this forum. Now I want to delete files and subdirectories from default folders like Pictures, Documents, et al, but not the main folder or hidden or system files. Just the stuff I put...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. prompting before deletion of files or folders