Windows 10: Delivery Optimisation doesn't work

Discus and support Delivery Optimisation doesn't work in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So this HUGE update landed last week and I rolled it out to the first of my computers. It downloaded and installed boom-bang, no hesitation, no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ChrisBedford, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Delivery Optimisation doesn't work

So this HUGE update landed last week and I rolled it out to the first of my computers. It downloaded and installed boom-bang, no hesitation, no repetition, no problem. Then I started on the other two.

Apparently 'Delivery Optimisation' isn't a thing. Both the other machines, both Win10-64, downloaded their own copies, which on my 4 Mb DSL line took the better part of the entire weekend. In fact, over the 2 days, I have managed to download over 21 GB, and I have done *nothing else* but try update these computers. The downloads repeatedly would get to an arbitrary number like 43% or 78% and then go back to 0%, or after hours and hours of downloading eventually move on to 'Preparing to install' - another process that takes several hours - only to go back to 'Downloading updates 90%' (or some other random number) - lather, rinse, repeat. So, no 'Allow updates from other PCs' then, even though I have this set 'On' with the option 'PCs on my local network' selected.

I thought the whole plan with Delivery Optimisation was to avoid repeated huge downloads. Yeah, I know, bandwidth is cheap now (well, apparently it is in the US, although here in the Third World, not so much) but not everyone has fibre speeds. During the several hours it takes to download this 'feature update' (really? Something over 4 GB, looks more like a whole version upgrade to me) my line is totally maxed out and I can't even play Solitaire. Literally, 'Solitaire is having trouble connecting to the Internet. Retry?'

Time for MS to 'optimise' their optimisation, methinks.

:)

ChrisBedford, Nov 18, 2017

2. Windows 10 - Delivery Optimization hogging bandwidth

Same issue was bothering me ..

To resolve this

go to task manager

open the service delivery optimisation's properties

Open services

then disable the delivery optimisation process

and restart your system

HARSHIT AGRAWAL(HA13), Nov 18, 2017
  3. The Ape Win User
    Can't Delete Delivery Optimisation Files

Hi All,

I know you can do a disc clean, and tick the box to delete delivery optimisation files, but it says there are only a few meg of files there, when there is nearly 18GB being used up by delivery optimisation.

How can I delete the 18GB file?

Thanks for any help,

James

The Ape, Nov 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Delivery Optimisation doesn't work

Hi, did you know you can freely download Win 10 iso's and thus upgrade as many PC's as you like from 1 iso downloaded once? (Assuming it's the correct language and 'bitness' for all).

I guess you mean this isn't working for you:

Delivery Optimisation doesn't work [​IMG]

Then there's this other aspect:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-o...y-optimization

The FCU also may help people with bandwidth control:
    More control over updates

What is Windows 10 Fall Creators Update? Everything you need to know about Microsoft's big upgrade - TechRepublic

Further: My very casual understanding of delivery optimisation from another angle is that it's targeted at 1 PC- to reduce the download size for that PC for updates.

Where it's a new build upgrade, well, there's no space saving to do.

dalchina, Nov 18, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I have never personally seen delivery optimization to work. That's why on the big "next version" updates, I download it on day one and use that single download to update all of my computers.

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2017
  6. Thanks for that info - I have done before (Creators Update) but kinda forgot about this one *Redface

I actually started the post to ask about a different problem, that magically fixed itself while I was typing, and the supplementary question became the question. So... thanks again *Cool

7. That part, yes. Except I have it switched "ON" on all three PCs.

8. Delivery Optimisation doesn't work

Umm... yeah, except the ISOs currently available [Windows Download - #1 Windows ISO Download Source] are Build 16299.15 which is last month's version - this weekend's big download is Build 16299.64

9. dalchina New Member
    Yes- Unfortunately MS does typically issue very large updates after a major build.... *cry

But that's hopefully good, 'cos then I'll have waited for others to experience the pain of the initial bugs, and upgrade after the big upgrade a couple of months after the build release... *Wink

dalchina, Nov 19, 2017
  10. On reflection, I may have been confused about what actually happened. I downloaded the ISO for build 1709 last month, and installed on at least a couple of client machines but 'may not' have deployed to my own machines. *Redface So what downloaded over the weekend was probably that *with* last week's Super Tuesday updates rolled up into it. Sigh. If only I had realised what was happening I could have installed the FCU and then let the couple hundred MB update download... we live and learn, eh. *really

ChrisBedford, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Delivery Optimisation doesn't work

1. Delivery Optimisation doesn't work - Similar Threads - Delivery Optimisation doesn't

2. delivery optimisation downloads nonstop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    delivery optimisation downloads nonstop: i can't stop delivery optimisation downloading from microsoft i know it is needed but 216gb in 15 days is not something normal. end task doesn't work it restarts in 15 sec. can't close it within services, it won't allow me and i can't even limit its download from settings i...
  3. delivery optimisation downloads nonstop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    delivery optimisation downloads nonstop: i can't stop delivery optimisation downloading from microsoft i know it is needed but 216gb in 15 days is not something normal. end task doesn't work it restarts in 15 sec. can't close it within services, it won't allow me and i can't even limit its download from settings i...
  4. delivery optimisation downloads nonstop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. cant change Delivery Optimisation settings

cant change Delivery Optimisation settings: I'm trying to make it so my PC doesn't allow updates from other PC's but I can't change the settings there anything I can change in GPedit ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-delivery-optimisation-settings/119487f1-a12f-46e8-b922-876351b773ba
  6. cant change Delivery Optimisation settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    cant change Delivery Optimisation settings: I'm trying to make it so my PC doesn't allow updates from other PC's but I can't change the settings there anything I can change in GPedit ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-delivery-optimisation-settings/119487f1-a12f-46e8-b922-876351b773ba
  7. Delivery Optimisation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delivery Optimisation: I checked the update and security section of my PC and noticed a category called device optimisation is enabled, I am concerned about the security risk of this setting, is it safe to keep enabled or should I disable it? I'm not sure if this could allow Microsoft related apps...
  8. Delivery Optimisation

Delivery Optimisation: I checked the update and security section of my PC and noticed a category called device optimisation is enabled, I am concerned about the security risk of this setting, is it safe to keep enabled or should I disable it? I'm not sure if this could allow Microsoft related apps...
  9. Delivery Optimisation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. delivery optimisation

in Windows 10 Customization
    delivery optimisation: delivery optimisation runs in background even though I have turned off and consuming my internet data https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delivery-optimisation/7e230af3-68d2-47d4-80e4-33d396709140