Windows 10: Dell advised me to set up a different Windows account

Discus and support Dell advised me to set up a different Windows account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; When I was unable to update the BIOS on my Dell XPS 9570 laptop, I called Dell support. They were only able to install the new BIOS by taking over my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by john999, Jul 31, 2019.

1. john999 Win User

Dell advised me to set up a different Windows account

When I was unable to update the BIOS on my Dell XPS 9570 laptop, I called Dell support. They were only able to install the new BIOS by taking over my computer and logging into Windows 10 with a Dell account. After successfully updating the BIOS, the tech support person said that I would have to close my Windows account and set up a different Windows account in order to install future BIOS updates. I couldn't understand the explanation because the tech support person spoke poor English. How do I do this, and will it cause other problems?

:)

john999, Jul 31, 2019
  2. Fortitude Win User

Is it advisable/useful to have a second (full) Administrator account?

Firstly, I should say that someone suggested this Forum to me and it's one of the most useful things that I have come across on the Internet!
    I read somewhere that one way to safeguard your system is to create a second Administrator account in addition to the one that is built-in in Windows, so that should there be a problem with the "original" Administrator account you would use the second one to restore the first one.
    If this is indeed advisable, what are the steps to do it? I presume that I should password-protect the second Administrator account.
    Would I have the second Administrator account always enabled and the original Administrator account always disabled?

Fortitude, Jul 31, 2019
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jul 31, 2019
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Dell advised me to set up a different Windows account - Similar Threads - Dell advised set

2. How to set different sender's names for different accounts on Windows Mail?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set different sender's names for different accounts on Windows Mail?: GreetingsI've searched online and most everywhere I find say to use the sync settings for the account I want to change the sender's name, like in this thread.However, try as I might, I can't find this option. My Windows Mail stubbornly doesn't display the required field.As...
  3. How to set different sender's names for different accounts on Windows Mail?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set different sender's names for different accounts on Windows Mail?: GreetingsI've searched online and most everywhere I find say to use the sync settings for the account I want to change the sender's name, like in this thread.However, try as I might, I can't find this option. My Windows Mail stubbornly doesn't display the required field.As...
  4. My credentials are signing me up with a different account!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My credentials are signing me up with a different account!!!: Hey Everyone,I recently made a new Microsoft account and decided to go with the new one as the main one. Therefore I wanted to change my account details and sign up with a new account on my Windows. However, when I try to log in with a new account, it signs me up with an old...
  5. My credentials are signing me up with a different account!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My credentials are signing me up with a different account!!!: Hey Everyone,I recently made a new Microsoft account and decided to go with the new one as the main one. Therefore I wanted to change my account details and sign up with a new account on my Windows. However, when I try to log in with a new account, it signs me up with an old...
  6. How to set up your microsoft account on two different computers

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set up your microsoft account on two different computers: Hi, I got a brand new Windows 10 computer for my birthday and was wondering how to set up my Microsoft account on it when my account is already on another Windows 10 computer. I would like to keep all my apps and files as well which is why I need to know how to set it up. If...
  7. Account set up.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Account set up.: I sent up an account for my wife, everything works good, then I log off, when I log back in to her account I get black screen ? and I used her Microsoft account @outlook.com to set up her account....
  8. Please Advise Me

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Please Advise Me: Hi, Please advise me , i received Message About activate Win.10, I Have the same p.c. serial No. Same Microsoft Account . So ,what is the problem? Thank you for your reply...
  9. Setting Up 3 Monitors on a Dell

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setting Up 3 Monitors on a Dell: I have three monitors hooked up however in the display settings two of the monitors are linked together. Any help here? I'd like each monitor to operate separately. [ATTACH]...
  10. Windows Account settings are messed up for me.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Account settings are messed up for me.: I signed into a computer (that is not mine) once just to email one thing and now my account is the administrative outlook account in the "Your Info" inside the Accounts settings tab. I tried removing my account from the "Email and App Accounts Tab" (In the accounts settings...