Windows 10: Dell Alienware AW3418DW IPS-glow typical? Owners please chime in.

Discus and support Dell Alienware AW3418DW IPS-glow typical? Owners please chime in. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all, Wasn't sure if this needed to go under "Driver's and HW" category, which sounded like troubleshooting those types of issues so I'm posting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Omegaman007, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Dell Alienware AW3418DW IPS-glow typical? Owners please chime in.

Hey all,
    Wasn't sure if this needed to go under "Driver's and HW" category, which sounded like troubleshooting those types of issues so I'm posting here instead. Mods feel free to move if topic is more appropriate elsewhere.

I posted about this on Dell's community forums but have received no response and I'm under some time constraints. I've also gone and looked at the same monitor in MicroCenter but can't get any feel for it there since it's bright enough to get a sun tan from the lights in there.

Onto my question ->
    I picked up a new, A04 revision, of the Alienware AW3418DW ultrawide monitor this week. Upon turning down the brightness to 30 in the OSD I'm still seeing what to me is an unacceptable level of "IPS-glow", especially in the lower-left, from the appropriate viewing distance specified in the manual. I have to pull my head back to beyond 38" from the screen until it no longer becomes bothersome, which is something I cannot do if I still want to be able to use it as intended. I want to ask if this is a typical amount of IPS-glow from this (or similar ~$800) monitor, in which case I'll just ask for a refund, or if I received an atypical example, in which case I'll ask for an exchange and hope the second is better.

I should also mention that this monitor does have some other issues which I'm giving a pass to including: flickering issues at 120Hz, IPS glow in the other corners, and a slight left-to-right cool-to-warm color shift.

I've included some photos with the understanding that what you see may be a bit different due to your monitor settings, etc. I tried to make the photo as representative as possible as to what I see when I look at the screen (I didn't try to exaggerate the effect by over-exposing the images). To me these photos look quite accurate.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

:)

Omegaman007, Dec 2, 2018

2. Alienware Introduces AW3418DW and AW3418HW Ultrawide, Curved Displays

Alienware has introduced a pair of ultra-large monitors to their lineup at IFA, which boast of Curved, ultrawide displays with a 34" diagonal. Refresh rates are above 100 Hz - especially after these have been overclocked - and both feature NVIDIA's G-Sync tech alongside Alienware's AlienFX lighting and cable management features.

While the AW3418DW will be Alienware's flagship, packing a 3440x1440 resolution on its 4 ms GtG IPS panel, the AW3418HW is much more of a budget option, offering a much more common 2560x1080 IPS, G-Sync panel with the same 4 ms GtG, a 160 Hz refresh rate (when overclocked), G-SYNC, and a less enveloping 3900R curvature. Both displays offer the same 1000:1 contrast ratio, and while we don't know the brightness rating of the AW3418HW (2560x1080) panel, the flagship AW3418DW only offers 300 nits of brightness, effectively leaving HDR out of the picture. Pricing on these is what seems to be a little off, if you were to ask this particular editor. The AW3418DW is an interesting panel (who needs 144 Hz or higher refresh rates at this resolution) but at this point, giving up $1,499 for a non-HDR panel seems wrong. There are other options out there with the same or equivalent specifications at a much lower price tag. And the $1,199 Alienware is asking for their 34", 2650x1080 W3418HW also seems too excessive. But your mileage may, of course, vary. The flagship AW3418DW is available now, while the AW3418HW should be available around the holiday season. I've put a useful guide for screen curvatures below, if you need a reminder of how curvature ratings work.

Dell Alienware AW3418DW IPS-glow typical? Owners please chime in. 9eQpZKfVVCMnq3Sb_thm.jpg

Dell Alienware AW3418DW IPS-glow typical? Owners please chime in. 3YAlgZu0ptToaUTK_thm.jpg

Dell Alienware AW3418DW IPS-glow typical? Owners please chime in. uMW3HBpCOrjqcNMO_thm.jpg

Dell Alienware AW3418DW IPS-glow typical? Owners please chime in. ygz6dq5633xlGCme_thm.jpg

Source: AnandTech

Raevenlord, Dec 2, 2018
  3. malware Win User
    No deal between Dell and Alienware

It seems that there will be no deal between Dell and Alienware. According to a Dell company spokesman who denys the rumors that Dell bought Alienware, this is a bit much of a speculation. Here's what he has to say:
    Source: [H]ardOCP

malware, Dec 2, 2018
  4. jpkinfla Win User

Dell Alienware AW3418DW IPS-glow typical? Owners please chime in.

Random BSOD typically while Laptop is Idle

Typically when I step away from my laptop, or leave it over night - I will awake to it having a BSOD and reboots to the Dell Alienware Recovery Program. I've updated all the drivers I can, and it still is giving me this issue. Luckily it rarely happens while I'm actively using the laptop.

jpkinfla, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

Dell Alienware AW3418DW IPS-glow typical? Owners please chime in.

1. Dell Alienware AW3418DW IPS-glow typical? Owners please chime in. - Similar Threads - Dell Alienware AW3418DW

2. Pinpointing the owner of a Mac/ip address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinpointing the owner of a Mac/ip address: anyone know how to do track down the info on a device if I have both the MAC and IP address?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pinpointing-the-owner-of-a-macip-address/6e1618e5-dcad-4c8e-a2aa-329d5d06a94e
  3. Pinpointing the owner of a Mac/ip address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pinpointing the owner of a Mac/ip address: anyone know how to do track down the info on a device if I have both the MAC and IP address?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pinpointing-the-owner-of-a-macip-address/6e1618e5-dcad-4c8e-a2aa-329d5d06a94e
  4. Pinpointing the owner of a Mac/ip address

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Unexpected Red Glow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unexpected Red Glow: Hello, I just installed the latest updates on my computer and the screen now has a red glow where it is normally white. Any ideas on what happened and how to correct this problem?...
  6. Alienware (Dell) BIOS update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Alienware (Dell) BIOS update: Denis @Try3 I have started a thread here to try to better explain and not clog up Site Bugs. Site Bugs and Suggestions [4] Normally, since I've had this machine, about 3 1/2 years, BIOS updates are shown to me as part of the Alienware Update app or if I go to Dell Support...
  7. Laptop Glowing Keyboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop Glowing Keyboard: Hello, I have a Windows 10 HP Laptop with glowing keyboard but the keyboard is either fully glown up or doesn’t glow up at all. I am wondering if I can make the keyboard glow only the buttons I press and not all of them ? I am down to using any 3rd party apps if they can make...
  8. Dell Alienware Laptop having a Identity Crisis

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell Alienware Laptop having a Identity Crisis: Jellybean thinks its a windows enterprise. Windows states that it is version 1903 0s build 18362.535 So in belarc it shows a e on the end of my windows key the format that is xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxe But it does not show it like that in the window "About" it shows it as...
  9. Dell Alienware AW3418DW IPS-glow typical? Owners please chime in.

Dell Alienware AW3418DW IPS-glow typical? Owners please chime in.: Hey all, Wasn't sure if this needed to go under "Driver's and HW" category, which sounded like troubleshooting those types of issues so I'm posting here instead. Mods feel free to move if topic is more appropriate elsewhere. I posted about this on Dell's community forums...
  10. Dell Alienware 13. Disable touchpad

Dell Alienware 13. Disable touchpad: Hi guys, Have been looking for this for quite a while. Alienware Club - Dell Community was not very helpful. I'm looking now for a device to disable to disable touchpad on my alienware 13. I've opened Device Manager, but haven't found anything that could disable my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell alienware aw3418dw loc:US

2. alienware windows 7 recovery

3. ips glow aw3418dw

4. ips glow on alienware ultrawide,
  5. alienware ultrawide aw3418dw dimensions edge to edge,
  6. alienware aw3418dw in windows 10