Windows 10: DELL Customer Database Apparently Hacked

Discus and support DELL Customer Database Apparently Hacked in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Well-informed tech support scammers target Dell users - Help Net Security clip: Dell still won't say yes or no, but many online postings by users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cognus, Jan 6, 2016.

1. cognus Win User

DELL Customer Database Apparently Hacked

Well-informed tech support scammers target Dell users - Help Net Security

clip:
    Dell still won't say yes or no, but many online postings by users on the Dell support forum seem to point towards the postive answer, as they have experienced scammy tech support calls in which the scammers used correct information about their computers and about previous support requests they contacted Dell with.

Among these users is the author of the 10 Zen Monkeys blog, who recently wrote about having experienced a fake tech support call a few months ago.

"Scammers pretending to be from Dell computers phoned me in November — but these scammers knew things about me. They identified the model number for both my Dell computers, and knew every problem that I'd ever called Dell about," the author pointed out. "None of this information was ever posted online, so it's not available anywhere except Dell's own customer service records."

The scammers didn't get what they wanted in this case, and the author called the real Dell tech support to discover how the scammer might have gotten the sensitive information. A customer support representative explained that "Dell has detected hackers. They're hacking our web site."

As answers go, it's not very satisfactory. Previous complaints by other users, dating as far back as May this year, were also answered by Dell in a similar unsatisfactory way.

:)

cognus, Jan 6, 2016

2. Is My Tech Bay a Scam?

Most computers and laptops are purchased at retail stores or online come from well known
    OEM

computer system manufacturers
    like Dell, Hewlett-Packard (HP), Acer, Gateway, Packard Bell, etc. If their customer data bases are hacked by cyber-criminals, the scammers may have access to all sorts of customer personal information
    to include name, address, phone numbers, credit card numbers and what computer make or model they purchased. These are a few examples.

Another avenue is
    Out-of-the-box exploitation
    of new computers by hackers.

quietman7 - MVP, Jan 6, 2016
  3. How can I upload PDF files and sink to sky drive?

At the close of 2011, WP7.5 still do not allow develpers to access the usb drive for custom app use. Microsoft should take a page from the Adobe AIR phone SDK. It gives full (shared and app private) directory access and support.

Also, the registry hack is only for Zune media files... and PC uses may need to copy, or back-up custom files and databases for custom apps. SkyDrive is only for Microsoft Office apps.

King

King Coffee, Jan 6, 2016
  4. D3LL Win User

Interesting share, thanks for posting.

D3LL, Jan 6, 2016
Thema:

1. DELL Customer Database Apparently Hacked - Similar Threads - DELL Customer Database

2. Appalling Customer Service on hacked account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Appalling Customer Service on hacked account: How on earth do I get to speak to someone to report a fraud in uk? My account has been hacked and default email changed and I am now getting fraudulent purchases. This online customer service is appalling the nonsense about shortening wasted time is a joke! Thus is about...
  3. Appalling Customer Service on hacked account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Appalling Customer Service on hacked account: How on earth do I get to speak to someone to report a fraud in uk? My account has been hacked and default email changed and I am now getting fraudulent purchases. This online customer service is appalling the nonsense about shortening wasted time is a joke! Thus is about...
  4. Appalling Customer Service on hacked account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Apparent DX driver issues on my Dell Inspiron 15 5567

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apparent DX driver issues on my Dell Inspiron 15 5567: I have a Dell 15 5567 with very good specs, i7, R7 GPU, 16GB, 1TB HDD, FHD touch screen since 2020. In recent months, after several Windows updates and I also installed the latest Dell drivers, the computer starts to develop a BSOD with the error "Video_DXGKRNL_Fatal_Error"...
  6. Apparent DX driver issues on my Dell Inspiron 15 5567

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apparent DX driver issues on my Dell Inspiron 15 5567: I have a Dell 15 5567 with very good specs, i7, R7 GPU, 16GB, 1TB HDD, FHD touch screen since 2020. In recent months, after several Windows updates and I also installed the latest Dell drivers, the computer starts to develop a BSOD with the error "Video_DXGKRNL_Fatal_Error"...
  7. Apparent DX driver issues on my Dell Inspiron 15 5567

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Access Misconfiguration Exposed Microsoft Customer Support Database

in Windows 10 News
    Access Misconfiguration Exposed Microsoft Customer Support Database: Today, we concluded an investigation into a misconfiguration of an internal customer support database used for Microsoft support case analytics. While the investigation found no malicious use, and although most customers did not have personally identifiable information...
  9. Microsoft Update apparently does not want me to customize my computer!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Update apparently does not want me to customize my computer!: Not real happy right now. MS decide that today was MY DAY for the Anniversary update. The update went well and took about 38 minutes. Machine reboots and bingo ALL my customizations and settings have reverted back to what MS thinks they should be. Granted I can go back in and...
  10. Router flaws put AT&T customers at hacking risk

in Windows 10 News
    Router flaws put AT&T customers at hacking risk: Thousands of routers, many of which belong to AT&T U-verse customers, can be easily and remotely hacked through several critical security vulnerabilities. Five flaws were found in common consumer Arris routers used by AT&T customers and other internet providers around the...