Windows 10: Dell desktop will not boot because of My Passport backup drive is in Legacy mode BIOS.

Discus and support Dell desktop will not boot because of My Passport backup drive is in Legacy mode BIOS. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, My old Dell desktop with Windows 10 will not boot, because My Passport backup drive shows in a "Legacy” BIOS. I think I need to set up “UEFI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jdelaney77, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Dell desktop will not boot because of My Passport backup drive is in Legacy mode BIOS.

Hi,

My old Dell desktop with Windows 10 will not boot, because My Passport backup drive shows in a "Legacy” BIOS. I think I need to set up “UEFI Boot Sources” with “Windows Boot Manager”.

Don’t know how to get the BIOS to work in UEFI Boot Services” instead of Dell’s “Legacy Mode”. Tried many times to set the Main drive as the 1st to boot in BIOS and the "My Passport" as the second to boot. WD support says the backup drive is ok and I need to only change my BIOS. Also have the "My Passport" as the 1st to book is OK. I don't believe this.

Seems like there's an HP BIOS and a Windows 10" BIOS.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Joe

:)

jdelaney77, Sep 16, 2018
  2. slance310 Win User

Difficulty setting BIOS to boot in Legacy mode

Hi,

I read that from your previous link...

That's why I was thinking that a wiped HDD might give a different outcome with the BIOS...

Same reason to try doing a Clean Install with a Flash Drive specifically for Legacy Bios... To see if the Legacy\ Secure Boot issue can be forced to change...

Be sure to have all other HDDs and iOmega stuff unhooked...

I am trying to force something to work on my machine by using a UEFI Flash, as opposed to the Legacy Flash I suggested you try...

I'm trying to boot off of a PCIe based SSD, and my Bios is not recognizing it in Legacy... Not even showing in Bios at all, even though it works fine for Data storage...

slance310, Sep 16, 2018
  3. slance310 Win User

Hi,

At least your machine can be used to boot with the chosen method now...

I have learned some things recently concerning UEFI Bios, Legacy, and etc. with my desktop machine that I installed a PCIE type SSD into...

This drive requires UEFI Bios... UEFI Bios requires a GPT type drive...

This kind of opened a can of worms a bit like your problem...

When this drive is installed, the Bios recognizes that it is a GPT type boot drive and presents a completely different list of options in the BIOS...

CSM mode is now appearing as a setting that didn't appear before, for instance...

I have also found that if a UEFI type Flash Drive is in the machine when I enter Bios I get different settings than if a Legacy type Flash Drive is in the machine...

I can no longer set my CD\DVD drive as the first boot device as the machine will not go to the second option automatically anymore...

I can set a Flash Drive as the first boot device and things work OK, but only with that specific Flash drive... If I use a different flash drive the machine will not boot without using the Boot Options key....

My machine has always been capable of UEFI Bios, but I chose not to turn it on...

It is not actually even possible to turn it on without the proper type of drive being installed or plugged in...

Overall, a bit strange... I have been about 12-18hrs a day for the last week trying to figure out how the same machine I have been using daily for 4 years or more, and I could change settings almost blind folded, is an entirely different beast..

The difficult part is that this kind of stuff is not consistent among machines and manufacturers... Something that should clearly be standardized seems very random instead...

Not only that... I had to do a lot of research to find how to edit the firmware for my Bios to even get the new drive to be functional... It would work fine as a data drive, but simply was not available as a boot device...

Not just install new bios, but actually edit the file before installing it... Something I have never tried before, and was obviously quite uneasy about doing...

Even though the machine will now boot from the drive, it still does not appear in Bios... I can only select it as "Windows Boot Manager" in Bios or Boot Options....

Windows 10 recognizes it as a boot device even though the Bios does not... I was even able to get Windows 7 to boot from it...

If anything comes up, let me know..

slance310, Sep 16, 2018
  4. Dell desktop will not boot because of My Passport backup drive is in Legacy mode BIOS.

I tried all that is suggested by HP but it makes no difference, the Legacy mode simply refuses to stay put. I always ensure that the settings are confirmed before exiting the Setup but that's just it ... the machine always goes back to Secure Mode. Annoyingly,
    prior to the iOmega software being installed and the consequential failure to boot, I could set the PC to boot into Legacy mode with no problem if I chose to.

Watchman-34, Sep 16, 2018
Thema:

Dell desktop will not boot because of My Passport backup drive is in Legacy mode BIOS.

1. Dell desktop will not boot because of My Passport backup drive is in Legacy mode BIOS. - Similar Threads - Dell desktop boot

2. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.

in Windows 10 Customization
    my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.: im wanting to enable virtualization but thats impossible with legacy bios as the only thing in boot is troubleshoot>>>advanced options>>>startup options. and thats it, so if you know how to enable virtualization wthout need uefi please help, or if you know how to check if my...
  3. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.: im wanting to enable virtualization but thats impossible with legacy bios as the only thing in boot is troubleshoot>>>advanced options>>>startup options. and thats it, so if you know how to enable virtualization wthout need uefi please help, or if you know how to check if my...
  4. Legacy Boot is greyed out in BIOS

in Windows 10 News
    Legacy Boot is greyed out in BIOS: [IMG]UEFI and Legacy are the two modes of BIOS. The UEFI mode of BIOS has several advantages over the Legacy BIOS mode. That’s why the Legacy BIOS mode has become less popular after the introduction of UEFI. Some of the advantages of UEFI include a faster booting process,...
  5. legacy bios

in Windows 10 Customization
    legacy bios: how to enable vt in legacy bios. help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/legacy-bios/23898b08-4c8c-460c-a565-94ef79831238
  6. My Passport on Dell Laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Passport on Dell Laptop: Trying to transfer pictures and documents from an iMac to a new laptop PC running Windows 10. The files are all on a My Passport external storage device. I connect the My Passport USB, and the computer recognizes that it is there can see it in Devices, but I cannot access...
  7. Cant access BIOS in Legacy mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant access BIOS in Legacy mode: So last weekend I was trying to install Tails OS on a usb so I can play around on the dark web. Before when I could get to my bios I mistakenly changed it to legacy mode. Now nothing I seem to try wont let me access the bios. Here are a few thing I've tried so far. -Using...
  8. Legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Legacy BIOS: Hello, I do not have UEFI only the legacy BIOS. See attach. Then how to access my BIOS? Thank you 152614
  9. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  10. Install Windows 10 with BIOS Legacy Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 with BIOS Legacy Mode: hi currently windows 10 is installed with UEFI mode in my ASUS notebook. the harddisk is in GPT partitioning style. so when i turn on my notebook, i am getting ASUS logo while booting up instead of the blue coloured windows logo. [img] (this pic is not from my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wd passport backup drive will not boot