Windows 10: Dell E6400 - No Sound from Headphone Jack

Discus and support Dell E6400 - No Sound from Headphone Jack in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Working on a really old Dell E6400 laptop. The laptop speakers produce sound but when you plug in external speakers using the headphone jack, power... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Caledon Ken, May 4, 2021.

1. Dell E6400 - No Sound from Headphone Jack

Working on a really old Dell E6400 laptop. The laptop speakers produce sound but when you plug in external speakers using the headphone jack, power supplied through USB port, there is no sound. When you look at the various sound panels nothing indicates the external speakers have been plugged in. Yes speakers work, tested on alternate system. The system has Microsoft drivers for sound - High Definition Audio. Lots of reading on internet, think they should be IDT High Definition Audio. Went to Dell and found old Win 7 driver for sound. IDT_92HDXXX-HD-Audio_A03-R297613.exe. This is file listed in another thread here about crackling sound. First install attempt failed. Set compatibility mode for exe to Win 7 and ran again, still failed. Internet seems to be littered with sound issue from these old IDT devices. Wondering if any members with one of these older Dell devices knows a trick or two. All suggestions welcomed. Running Windows 20H2, all maintenance applied. No start date for problem, client needs sound to be louder so bought a cheap pair of external speakers. This issue could have been present for years. As stated, speakers work on other systems. Thanks

:)

Caledon Ken, May 4, 2021

2. Dell Optiplex , Win 10 , no sound from headphone jack

Dell Optiplex 790
    Win 10 Pro
    Intel Core i5
    240gb SSD
    8g RAM
    On-board sound card which I believe is a Realtek...
    I bought this refurbished today with Win 10 already installed , however it does not deliver sound to the headphone jack.
    The control panel shows only "High Definition Audio Device (2x)" , and I can hear sound from internal speakers.
    I have already seen posts on the Dell forum which suggest Win 10 not compatible with available Dell drivers.
    Suggestions please ?

Ivan Karlovich, May 4, 2021
  3. Assign Headphone Jack to 1 of 2 Sound Cards?

I have an RealTek internal PC sound card and a SignaLink USB external sound card for digital amateur radio communications with my HAM radio system.

Whenever I plug headphones into the PC headphone jack, it commandeers the external sound card instead of using the internal sound card.

Is there a way to assign the headphone jack to the internal sound card "permanently?

MaverickNH, May 4, 2021
  4. Dell E6400 - No Sound from Headphone Jack

No sound through headphones

Hello Sander,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix the issue.

In order to understand the issue more clearly, I would request you to provide me with the following information.

• What is the make and model of the headphones?

• Have you tried connecting the headphones to another jack or another computer and checked if they are working?
    Make sure your headphones aren't plugged into the line out (headphone) jack of your sound card or computer (unless you want to be listening with headphones rather than speakers). When you plug in headphones, most computers
    automatically cut the sound to the speakers. Ensure the headphone is fully and firmly inserted into the correct jack. Plug in the headphone and see if the same shows up in Device Manager.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Run inbuilt Hardware and Device troubleshooter and check if it works. Follow the steps given below.

Note:
    If your computer is having problems with a recently installed device or other hardware, try using the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to fix the problem. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or
    hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.

• Press Windows Key +R, type
      Control Panel.

• Type troubleshooting
      in the search bar, click on troubleshooting.

• Click on Hardware and Sound, click on
      Hardware and Devices.

• Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.
    If issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:

Check with the volume settings. Please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the speaker icon in taskbar and select volume control options.

• Put a check mark on "All devices currently playing sound".

• Make sure you have "The default communication device unchecked".

• Place a check mark on both speakers and headphones. Click Apply and OK.
    If issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3:

This happens when you have the speakers set to default. We need to set the headphones as default. Please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Perform the task mentioned below to set speakers as default.

• Go to Start and click on control Panel.

• Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.

• In the new windows click on the tab "Playback" and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.

• Now check if the headphone is listed there and right click on it and choose enable.

• Highlight that headphone and click on "Set as Default".

Also try to install latest chipset drivers in the system and check if it helps.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

Also, I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Preethu” replied on April 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link and check if that helps.

Headphones not working in Windows 10

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Jayant Gupta, May 4, 2021
Thema:

Dell E6400 - No Sound from Headphone Jack

1. Dell E6400 - No Sound from Headphone Jack - Similar Threads - Dell E6400 Sound

2. Sound problem with jack connected headphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound problem with jack connected headphones: My laptop is a Dell 16 7610 with Windows 11, 23H2. During the last few weeks, I have the following problem with the sound of my laptop. The sound works all right with the internal speakers and/or Bluetooth connected speakers. However, when I try to connect external speakers...
  3. Sound problem with jack connected headphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound problem with jack connected headphones: My laptop is a Dell 16 7610 with Windows 11, 23H2. During the last few weeks, I have the following problem with the sound of my laptop. The sound works all right with the internal speakers and/or Bluetooth connected speakers. However, when I try to connect external speakers...
  4. My Headphone jack will not pick up sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Headphone jack will not pick up sound: I have a Dell XPS tower 8940, The headphones + built-in Microphone works perfectly on another PC The front audio jack is a headset jackAll drivers are up to dateOn WavesMaxx Pro the headset function is selectedIn Sound settings input is selected as Jack Mic RealtekR AudioThe...
  5. Dell Optiplex , Win 10 , no sound from headphone jack

Dell Optiplex , Win 10 , no sound from headphone jack: Dell Optiplex 790 Win 10 Pro Intel Core i5 240gb SSD 8g RAM On-board sound card which I believe is a Realtek... I bought this refurbished today with Win 10 already installed , however it does not deliver sound to the headphone jack. The control panel shows only "High...
  6. No Sound from Internal Speakers, only Headphone Jack

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Sound from Internal Speakers, only Headphone Jack: I just updated my ROG GU501G laptop to the latest Windows update last night and since then I havent been able to get any sound coming out of my internal speakers. Sounds comes fine through the headphone jack. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. I tried...
  7. Static / uneven sound from headphone jack.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Static / uneven sound from headphone jack.: My HP laptop's (cx0056wm) headphone started giving weird noises from this morning. The real sound is mixed with all types of electrical noises (humm ,buzz ,static etc) .I have tried all the obvious solutions (rebooting ,driver ,cleaning jack ,etc) ,but nothing worked. I am...
  8. Headphone Jack not working (Windows 10, Dell)

Headphone Jack not working (Windows 10, Dell): For over a year now, my headphone jack has not worked. I can hear find on my laptop speakers, my USB headset, and when connected to a LCD monitor with its speakers. But the head phone jack, no joy. I thought it might be the I/O or motherboard, but didn't investigate that....
  9. No sound from headphone jack on Rode Podcaster

No sound from headphone jack on Rode Podcaster: Hi the problem i have is that the headphone jack on my rode podcaster dont play any sound from the computer. this is what i have tired to do to fix it I set it to default in the playback options and dissabld my normal sound card restared pc and still no sound when you right...
  10. No sound from speaker/headphone output jack with Realtek ALC269

No sound from speaker/headphone output jack with Realtek ALC269: Sometime during the March updates the Windows Update completely broke my laptop system (Acer Aspire 5820TG - 424G50Mn). I ignored it for a long time due to lack of spare time until I saw a few days ago that Redstone 5 was available for download and now I finally have some...