Windows 10: Dell Inspiron 3135 does not sleep/shutdown/hibernate

Discus and support Dell Inspiron 3135 does not sleep/shutdown/hibernate in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 build 9926 on an Inspiron 3135 from 2013. I made a clean installation from the Microsoft ISO on a 120GB Kingston SSDNow V300... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JesseKnows, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Dell Inspiron 3135 does not sleep/shutdown/hibernate

I'm running Windows 10 build 9926 on an Inspiron 3135 from 2013. I made a clean installation from the Microsoft ISO on a 120GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD. Prior to that it was running the original HDD with its 8.0 distribution upgraded to 8.1 via the Windows Store.
    I have the latest BIOS available for this computer.

Other than the webcam which I did not test, everything works. Except proper shutdown stuff.

When I select shutdown from the interface, the system sits there for a quite a while with the hard drive LED blinking briefly every 2-6 seconds. I did not try with a stopwatch, but that remains the behavior for well over 3 minutes. This time I happened to notice that after quite some time I saw a longer amount of time with the LED on, then another brief blink, then it went dark.

After turning on, I looked at the System Event log. Here are some interesting entries:
    4:17:19 The process ... has initiated the power off ...
    4:17:25 The system is entering sleep.
    4:24:18 The boot type was 0x0.
    4:24:18 The last shutdown's success status was false. The last boot's success status was false.
    4:24:18 Windows failed fast startup with error status 0cC0000001.
    4:24:19 The system watchdog timer was triggered.
    4:24:21 The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset.
    4:24:21 The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I checked the Kingston site for firmware. I'm not sure whether there is better than what the SSD contains. The SSD is new from NewEgg. The Kingston firmware app says there is no newer firmware.
    (There is a notice on the app screen to run the app in AHCI mode, but I confirmed that the BIOS is set to AHCI.)
    I did not try this SSD on Windows 8; I guess I could and see whether it behaves the same.

I now tried to reboot instead of shutdown and the system again went into this period of blinking. I held the power button because I wanted to check the BIOS.

Any ideas?

J

:)

JesseKnows, Mar 9, 2015

2. Occasional BSOD in Windows 10, and wake from Sleep issues

Yes. Now I recall the Intel Management Engine Interface Driver on my own Dell Inspiron 3542 has been blamed for that. I never personally suffered it, but here is the article...

Inspiron 15 (3542), 14(3442), 17(5748) Running Windows 10 may not Shutdown, Resume From Hibernate, Sleep or not Power on | Dell Deutschland

Inspiron 15 (3542), 14(3442), 17(5748) Running Windows 10 may not Shutdown, Resume From Hibernate, Sleep or not Power on

I took the fix (in the course of updating all drivers), even never having suffered the issue, & still was fine.

PCR Just PCR, Mar 9, 2015
  3. MainMat Win User
    No sleep option in Windows 10

Dell Inspiron 570 desktop 1TB HD upgraded to Windows 10. No Sleep Option. Dont want to use Hibernation. Want to get sleep option back please.

MainMat, Mar 9, 2015
  4. usasma Win User

Dell Inspiron 3135 does not sleep/shutdown/hibernate

Update drivers - chipset, storage, Intel devices (RST, ISCT, IME, etc), video
    Disable Fast Startup (this was an issue with earlier versions of Windows)

Even though you're not experiencing BSOD's, please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):
    Solved BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

usasma, Mar 10, 2015
  5. As a working Computer builder and tech for the past 35 years, I've had to build a list of Brand names, of unacceptable quality.
    At the top of my list of "Never, ever, buy one of these" is 'Kingston'. They buy a lot of ram, rejected by the original manufacturer.
    Some of that may work initially, but fail later. Nuff said on that.

I have Windows 10 running without issue on a Dell Inspiron E1405, with NO issues at all.
    I'd NEVER buy a Dell, but that little laptop was given to me, so I use it for experimental purposes only.

Both Hibernate and Sleep are still troublesome, like from day one. So I totally disable both!

As for shutdown, I use only a Quick Shutdown shortcut, on my desktop or Quick Launch toolbar.

If you'd like to at least try the Quick Shutdown shortcut, here's the syntax for it.
    It's the same shortcut I use for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

Copy and paste this shortcut, because every space is important.
    When I use this shortcut to shutdown, my PC's usually shut down in anywhere from five to eight seconds.

I started using a Quick Shutdown shortcut with Windows 98. Over the years the syntax for the shortcut has changed some, but the result is still the same.
    The shortcut for Windows XP is:
    %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 -f

My Windows XP PC shuts down in just five seconds.

It's my hope that the above information will help someone, somewhere, someday.

Cheers Mates and happy computing!

*Cool

TechnoMage, Mar 10, 2015
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    35 years, that sure is a great deal of experience. . .sure glad you are around to help us out. . .*Smile

7. I used the shortcut (cut & paste into an elevated command window). Unfortunately I see the same behavior - the system blinked the disc LED for a while. After many minutes I turned it on an I see the events for watchdog timer.

JesseKnows, Mar 10, 2015
  8. Dell Inspiron 3135 does not sleep/shutdown/hibernate

I do not know how to update drivers other than let Windows do its thing. The computer is AMD, so no Intel in sight.

I disabled Fast Startup, did not make a difference.

Here is the report.

J

JesseKnows, Mar 10, 2015
  9. I had remembered that the system did succeed in restarting quite a few times during the initial installation and updates, so i wiped it and performed a clean install.
    I see a couple of failures to install updates, but so far no issue with restart.

I installed all the drivers and applications I had before the wiping and the system does sleep, hibernate and restart as expected.

One noted difference: I installed FastAccess Anywhere Face Recognition (login via webcam), which I harvested from my Dell Inspiron 11 3147. In the first installation this facility worked but I had the shutdown issues. After the wiping I am not sure that this facility works - it keeps claiming that it sees a face and asks for the password associated with the face (rather than recognizing the face and using the already associated password).
    I also recall that on the 3147 as well as the initial installation on the 3135, FastAccess updated itself from the distributed 4.1.201 to a slightly higher version number. After the wiping I have not yet seen the update notice. SensibleVision's web site says "FastAccess 2.x, 3.x and 4.x are no longer receiving minor updates. Users can purchase an upgrade to 5.x at a discount."

JesseKnows, Mar 10, 2015
  10. usasma Win User
    To update drivers you start at the Dell support website and enter your service tag number to find the latest updates available for your system. If the drivers aren't available there, then we can look in other locations (such as the Intel Download Center, located here: Intel Download Center )

usasma, Mar 11, 2015
  11. I had installed Windows 8.1 drivers as were available for hardware not assigned a driver by Windows 10 - those were the WiFi DW1705 and the touchpad. I also installed the chipset driver package but I have no direct indication that it changed anything.

Other drivers on the Dell site seem older than Windows 10's own choice: Realtek Audio 6.0.1.7195,A02 (Windows 10 installed its own 6.0.1.7446), Realtek Gb Ethernet 2.1.2013.528,A00 (Windows 10 installed its own 8.1.1110.2014), AMD Chipset and Radeon HD 8250 Graphics 13.152.1.1,A00 (Windows 10 installed a Radeon HD 8250 driver 15.200.1006.0).

As I wrote above this machine is AMD and has no Intel components.

JesseKnows, Mar 11, 2015
  12. usasma Win User
    The Windows Update drivers are preferable to the drivers from Dell in most cases (as these are specifically targeted at Win10).
    And Dell was just a starting point for drivers, after that it's a hunt for the original driver maker and hoping that Dell hasn't added something to the drivers that the system requires (if so, then using the original driver maker's drivers may result in problems).

Under ordinary circumstances finding suitable drivers that have been updated is a frustrating chore. Figuring out if the Windows Update drivers, the PC manufacturer's drivers, the motherboard drivers, or the original device manufacturer's drivers (along with other driver makers) are more suitable is very frustrating (and not always possible to do).

Now add to that a beta OS that doesn't have many sources for updated drivers - but it does take drivers designed for older versions of the OS - and it's surprising that things work as well as they do.

Good luck!

usasma, Mar 12, 2015
  13. Dell Inspiron 3135 does not sleep/shutdown/hibernate

After a wipe and reinstalling Windows 10, including the same drivers and applications as before, the system does behave correctly. It hibernates, sleeps, restarts and shuts down.

JesseKnows, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dell Inspiron 3135 does not sleep/shutdown/hibernate

1. Dell Inspiron 3135 does not sleep/shutdown/hibernate - Similar Threads - Dell Inspiron 3135

2. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  3. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  4. Dell Inspiron refuse to completely shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dell Inspiron refuse to completely shutdown: I am having a problem with the Dell Inspiron 7370. When it comes to shutting down the machine, sometimes the screen goes off but I can still see the backlight keyboard keys lights + sound of the running device? I am now having no other options but to apply Force Shutdown by...
  5. Abrupt shutdown during sleep mode and hibernation

Abrupt shutdown during sleep mode and hibernation: Hey champs, need your support to fix this annoying issue with my laptop. Abrupt shutdown happens while laptop is in sleep mode due to inactivity. It even happens at times when I press power button to hibernate. While laptop is being actively used no such issue occurs. Have...
  6. Dell Inspiron

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell Inspiron: I have a 6 yr old Dell Inspiron 15 laptop running Windows 10. I had external speakers (Logitech) working fine for years, playing my ITunes music. I decided to improve my sound further by connecting to my new Polk speakers via my Yamaha AVR. No sound. Internal speakers work,...
  7. Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate (windows 10)

Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate (windows 10): I have new HP Spectre x360 and from begining I am not able to shut it down or sleep or hibernate. It shut down and after 3-4 seconds boots backup again. I have already spent 3 days with solving it and i tried everything what i found on internet. I tried: - intel management...
  8. Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate

Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate: I have new HP Spectre x360 and from begining I am not able to shut it down or sleep or hibernate. It shut down and after 3-4 seconds boots backup again. I have already spent 3 days with solving it and i tried everything what i found on internet. I tried: - intel management...
  9. Dell Inspiron TouchPad does not work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell Inspiron TouchPad does not work: After installing a new motherboard on my Dell 15 Inspiron notebook, & reinstalling Windows 10, my touchpad does not work, and can't be 'seen' in Device Manager ... pls help! Niño...
  10. Dell Inspiron

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dell Inspiron: Hi I have been having trouble starting my dell Inspiron 6400 it was last running Windows 10 Build 9841. it was working fine with no problems at all until one morning when I tried to turn it on it was not showing Dell Logo just turning on and showing my Num lock, Scroll...