Windows 10: Dell Inspiron - Disable TouchPad when Ext mouse attached - Need help!!

Discus and support Dell Inspiron - Disable TouchPad when Ext mouse attached - Need help!! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Dell Inspiron 17 - 5748 Laptop, running Windows 10, version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.844) (Bought in 2014 so fairly old but functioning OK) Can anyone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Energise, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Energise Win User

Dell Inspiron - Disable TouchPad when Ext mouse attached - Need help!!

Dell Inspiron 17 - 5748 Laptop, running Windows 10, version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.844)
    (Bought in 2014 so fairly old but functioning OK)

Can anyone help me set the TouchPad to 'disable when External Mouse is attached' please? This function was available prior to re-installing Win 10, to the most recent update.

There is the option of disabling the TouchPad in the properties but, should the mouse not be available, I'd have to rely on keyboard navigation to get it switched on again, which I don't want to have to do.
    I've contacted Dell but they've not been able to help.

Usually, on a laptop, there is a Function key to disable/enable the TouchPad but I can't see one on the keys. I can't believe there is no way to disable/enable the TouchPad without going into properties and actually turning it OFF!
    Looking on Google, there have been a lot of people asking this question but I haven't managed to find a solution. Many thanks. I appreciate any help

:)

Energise, Mar 8, 2021
  2. nxavis9 Win User

I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Mar 8, 2021
  3. Josie23 Win User
    I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

These 7 steps allowed me to disable my touchpad (Dell laptop, Windows 10):

1. Win Start button
    2. Type in "device manager"
    3. Select Device Manager to open it
    4. Click down arrow to left of "Mice and other..." to expand
    5. Right click Dell Touchpad
    6. Disable device
    7. Yes

Dell Inspiron - Disable TouchPad when Ext mouse attached - Need help!! [​IMG]

Josie23, Mar 8, 2021
  4. James Ko Win User

Unable to disable touchpad in Dell Inspiron 13-5378

I have an Dell Inspiron 13-5378 laptop. I'd like to disable its touchpad since I have an external mouse I can use. I Googled for "disable touchpad" and have tried the following so far:

• Going to Device Manager, selecting Mice and other pointing devices, and disabling both of the HID-compliant mouse entries I see
      • Disabling the first one appears to have no effect, as my touchscreen still works. Disabling the second one disables my mouse.
      • There is also a PS/2 Compatible Mouse entry, but I'm scared to touch it because I can only uninstall, not disable it, and I don't know what it does because I only have 1 mouse plugged in.
    • Running main.cpl to get to Mouse Properties, going to Hardware > Properties > Change settings... yields the same issues: I can disable the first 2 "HID-compliant mouses" but can only uninstall the last one.

Any suggestions on what to do?

James Ko, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Dell Inspiron - Disable TouchPad when Ext mouse attached - Need help!! - Similar Threads - Dell Inspiron Disable

2. Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected: Please, bring back this option or else tell me how I can do this.I bought a laptop so that I could be portable. But since taking away the checkbox for disabling the touchpad, I've had to connect a keyboard, because the palms of my hands inadvertently always touch the touchpad...
  3. Dell Inspiron 7386 Touchpad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dell Inspiron 7386 Touchpad: Any thoughts on why my touchpad has suddenly stopped working. All drivers are up to date and the device manager doesn't report any problems with anything. Win10 is completely up to date too.The left and right buttons work as you can move the pointer with a USB mouse, and they...
  4. How to disable a touchpad when a bluetooth mouse is attached

How to disable a touchpad when a bluetooth mouse is attached: I have an HP Spectre x360 laptop. I would like to disable the touchpad when my HP Bluetooth mouse is present. I have looked at several help posts but I do not find the option to disable the touchpad from the setting page on the touchpad or on the mouse page....
  5. disabling touchpad when external mouse is attached

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disabling touchpad when external mouse is attached: After one of the most recent Microsoft Windows 10 updates, a feature on our HP Spectre x360 notebook stopped working. Prior to that update, we could enter touchpad setting, additional settings, and click on 'disable internal pointing device when external pointing device is...
  6. Touchpad disabled when mouse is removed

Touchpad disabled when mouse is removed: If I remove my mouse for my laptop the touch pad is disabled. I have it enabled in device manager, but I have the option for it to be turned off when a mouse is connected. If I turn off the feature of having the touch pad disabled when a mouse is connected, disconnecting the...
  7. Touchpad is not working on Dell Inspiron 7548

Touchpad is not working on Dell Inspiron 7548: The touchpad on my Dell Inspiron 7548 suddenly stopped working. And when I went to check the device manager I could not find the touchpad driver anymore. I also checked the settings and couldn't find the "Trackpad" option there either. How do I fix this issue?...
  8. dell inspiron 5755 touchpad

dell inspiron 5755 touchpad: cant get the touchpad to work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-inspiron-5755-touchpad/f248ac3e-2f8e-46dd-a4d3-747d3d6589d9
  9. Dell Inspiron TouchPad does not work

Dell Inspiron TouchPad does not work: After installing a new motherboard on my Dell 15 Inspiron notebook, & reinstalling Windows 10, my touchpad does not work, and can't be 'seen' in Device Manager ... pls help! Niño...
  10. Dell Inspiron 7000 series touchpad help

Dell Inspiron 7000 series touchpad help: Hi.. Was wondering if someone could assist me with finding the proper touchpad driver for my new Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series (P69G) so I can enable one finger scrolling. I went here Software Drivers | White Papers | Product Briefs | Videos | Synaptics and dowloaded the...