Windows 10: Dell laptop can't resume from sleep

Discus and support Dell laptop can't resume from sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Today I had to leave the house, so I opened the power menu from the Windows button, and selected the option for my Dell Inspiron i5577 laptop to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by osly2081, May 10, 2019.

1. osly2081 Win User

Dell laptop can't resume from sleep

Today I had to leave the house, so I opened the power menu from the Windows button, and selected the option for my Dell Inspiron i5577 laptop to "Sleep." I come back later, hit the power button to turn the laptop on, and lo and behold, the power button light turns on. There is absolutely no power to the display of my laptop. My "gaming" mouse's rgb backlight is off, but whenever I click it, the rgb light comes on. It stays on as long as I hold the left or right click. My external monitor says there is no input from my laptop. I hold the power button down until the light on the power button turns off. I wait for a few seconds and then hold the power button to boot my laptop. I strongly believe it's due to no power going to the SSD when it comes back from sleep. It works fine now, but I do not understand what caused this and does this damage my laptop's hardware?

Please see the video if you don't understand what I'm saying above -
    View: help please ? - bugged out laptop - YouTube

Please read the first paragraph in the description as well, it contains more info.

Important info - the SSD is a PM961 NVMe SAMSUNG SSD. INTERFACE - PCIe Gen. 3x4. TRIM status - Enabled. NVMe Driver - Samsung. RAPID Mode - Not supported. I can't seem to find any official drivers off of Samsung's website; the SSD isn't even listed there. I have found some other "unofficial" drivers but they're outdated or don't give enough information about the driver update.

Video description - i strongly believe that it's due to a software bug because an update from Dell's website for my laptop model to update the SSD and the update notes stated -

"Fixes: - Fixed the blue screen or system hang due to DRAM data corruption

Enhancement: - Improvements to Data Recovery" from the Intel SSDSCKKF180/256/360/512H6DN and SSDSC2KF256/360/512H6DN Series Solid State Drive Firmware Update.

Another update notes lists -

"Fixes: - Fixes the issue where the system is unable to exit from sleep mode as the solid-state drive (SSD) stops responding Enhancement: - N/A" from the TOSHIBA KSG60ZSE256/512G and KSG60ZMV256/512G Series Solid State Drive Firmware Update.

as you can see, I believe the Toshiba drive update is more based on my issue. however, the SSD that came in my laptop was a Samsung SSD, so the installation doesn't go through.

Note - I have updated all my drivers and have tried pretty much everything possible. It seems as if after 3-5 days of using the PC. it just gives up and doesn't want to come back from sleep mode.

:)

osly2081, May 10, 2019
  2. BrooksyX Win User

Win7 Pro Laptop crashes when resumes from sleep

Ok almost positive it related to the wifi card/driver. If I disable it in the device manager my laptop sleeps and resumes just fine.

So I guess first step would to be try to find a different driver and if that doesnt work I guess I can replace it. Used mini pci-e wifi cards are pretty cheap.

BrooksyX, May 10, 2019
  3. Sleep mode resume

I have a brand new Dell Alienware laptop, and it takes an annoying long time to resume from sleep. I timed a boot up from complete shut down at 18 seconds give or take a couple, while resume from sleep was nearly two minutes.

I have an Intel Core I7 7700HQ 2.80GHz

16 GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 630

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

256 GB SSD NVMe PC300 NVMe SK hy

1 TB HDD HGST HTS721010A9E630

Anyone have any clue why my resume from sleep times are so slow? I've tried disabling Fast Startup to no avail, disabling my antivirus but nothing seems to work. My BIOS is also up to date.

TylerAddison, May 10, 2019
  4. Dell laptop can't resume from sleep

Problems with Instantly Resuming from Sleep

Ok, I have a problem that (AFAIK) no one else on any of the forums (and forum sites) I have visited seem to having. As per the title, I am sure you can see that it is related to my laptop going to sleep.

The Problem:

My Dell XPS 15 (9550) seems to go to sleep properly whenever I
    • Press the power button
    • Close the lid
    • Or use the sleep function in the standard start menu
    This means that whatever is on the screen fades away until all I have left is a black screen and the power button stops glowing. However, when I try to "wake it from sleep", the screen will stay black for about 4-6 seconds, and then give me the dell POST loading screen as if it is starting up from
    • Shutting down
    • Hibernating
    • Hybrid Sleep
    As a result, when I first encountered this problem, I tried to check if it really was hibernating (or going into hybrid sleep) instead of standard "sleeping", because that is what it looks like. So, I left some file explorer tabs open and a Microsoft edge window open and put it to "sleep". The open windows (file explorer and Microsoft edge) did not load up after the computer was back in a useable state (after the dell POST screen). This leads me to believe that the computer is not going into hybrid sleep or hibernate when I put it to sleep, but is doing an action that is more similar to the shut down function.

This is what the screen looks like when I "wake" it from sleep (also known as the dell POST screen)

Dell laptop can't resume from sleep [​IMG]

Resolutions I have tried:

• Resetting my power plan to its default settings in windows 10
    • Disabling and re enabling hibernate/hybrid sleep (via CMD)
    • Reinstalling Windows 10 (Fresh - latest version)
    • Updating Device Drivers (both windows update and device manager)
    • Resetting all BIOS settings to factory defaults

My System Specs:

• Intel Core i7 6700hq
    • 16 GB DDR4 2133mhz RAM
    • Nvidia GeForce GTX 960m
    • 256 GB Samsung PM951 NVME SSD (this is the stock SSD that came with my XPS 15 9550)
    • 4k (3840x2160) "Infinity - Edge" Screen

I appreciate all the help I can get on this topic, so thank you in advance.
    (Ps. this is my first "complaint - oriented" forum post

ProGamer2099, May 10, 2019
Thema:

Dell laptop can't resume from sleep

1. Dell laptop can't resume from sleep - Similar Threads - Dell laptop can't

2. Cannot resume from sleep / screensaver

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot resume from sleep / screensaver: Hi. I hope you can help me with regards to this constant issue I have been having. My laptop sometimes doesn't shut down fully or when it enters sleep mode or screensaver mode screen turns off, then the fans ramp up to constant maximum and no matter what I do, the screen...
  3. Dell Inspiron 15 5577 can't resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell Inspiron 15 5577 can't resume from sleep: I have updated all my drivers and have tried pretty much everything possible. It seems as if after 3-5 days of using the PC. it just gives up and doesn't want to come back from sleep mode. See here for reference - No power from SSD when waking from sleep 132363
  4. Laptop shuts down instead of resuming from sleep

Laptop shuts down instead of resuming from sleep: Recently, my laptop started doing this. I'd say in the last 3-4 weeks. It goes to sleep when I shut the lid or put it to sleep, but shuts off when lid is opened, power button is pressed, etc. It's a Lenovo P51s, version 20H. All updates are current, both Microsoft and...
  5. No wallpaper on resume from sleep screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    No wallpaper on resume from sleep screen: Windows 10 home with the anniversary update and all updates since on a Toshiba laptop. When I boot up from a complete shutdown, I get a wallpaper (1) on the screen and after I press enter the login screen appears with its wallpaper image. But, when I resume by lifting the...
  6. Delayed resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Delayed resume from sleep: I installed an SSD in my laptop. Occasionally, when I resume from sleep mode, the computer becomes unresponsive. It does this for about 30 seconds. I can't remember if it was doing this before I installed the new drive. Today it's been doing it almost every time I open the...
  7. Resume from sleep issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Resume from sleep issue: Hi everyone. I had some trouble today with my computer. I seem to have fixed it, but thought I would share my experience to see if I can help others who may be having similar issues. System Specifications ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AMD FX-6300 4 GB 1333 mhz GSkill RAM...
  8. Problems with Instantly Resuming from Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Instantly Resuming from Sleep: Ok, I have a problem that (AFAIK) no one else on any of the forums (and forum sites) I have visited seem to having. As per the title, I am sure you can see that it is related to my laptop going to sleep. The Problem: My Dell XPS 15 (9550) seems to go to sleep properly...
  9. Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade

Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade: I have a new problem with my laptop which I had never had in the 3 years previously, whether it ran Windows 8, 8.1 and then 10. Usually, when I go to bed at night I close my laptop screen and it goes into sleep. I then wake it up the next day without any issues. But...
  10. W10 slow to resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 slow to resume from sleep: I did a fresh install on a SSD not to long ago. The computer is running very smoothly for the most part. However, sometimes when I open the lid to my laptop, it is temporarily unresponsive for a minute or so when resuming from sleep mode. It's pretty annoying. I think it has...