Windows 10: Dell laptop, occasional boot problem – Hardware, Bios or OS problem?

Discus and support Dell laptop, occasional boot problem – Hardware, Bios or OS problem? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My laptop, system one listed in My Computers Running Win 10 pro version 2004 (OS build 19041.685). Has an inconsistent occasional boot problem and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Struggling10, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Dell laptop, occasional boot problem – Hardware, Bios or OS problem?

My laptop, system one listed in My Computers Running Win 10 pro version 2004 (OS build 19041.685). Has an inconsistent occasional boot problem and looking for someone that might be able to guide me where to look that I havent already.

Things noticed when problem occurs, when power button pressed.
    1. Power indicator comes on, DVD drive indicator blips few times, screen lightens slightly (back light maybe?)
    2. Hard drive indicator blips couple times then goes solid on.
    3. Dell logo screen with sliding progress bar and F key#s to enter setup or boot menu, never comes up.
    4. Have left it in this state for as much as 5 min. and noting else happens, drive indicator stays solid whole time and screen indicator doesnt light up.
    5. Press power button momentarily and release, both power and drive indicators go off.
    * This process may repeat 2 5 times before normal boot occurs and might not happen for several days, but sometimes the next start.

With a normal boot, bellow is process when power button pressed.
    1. Power indicator comes on, DVD drive indicator blips few times, screen lightens slightly (back light maybe?)
    2. Hard drive indicator blips few times before Dell logo screen, then on going blips as boot process continues.
    3. Screen indicator lights up, Dell logo screen with sliding progress bar and F key#s comes up and bar fills (blue) before disappearing.
    4. Windows screen with rotating dots comes up and progress continues to the desktop.

As you can see #1 is same in both, #2 only varies in drive indicator activity, #3&4 never occurs when boot fails.

Understanding hardware better than software, below are few things Ive already tried.
    Re-seated DVD drive, hard drive and memory boards.
    Replace cmos battery.
    Updated bios from dell site.
    Updated Intel chip-set from Intel site.
    Ran chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow, with no problems found with either.
    Ran Dell systems and hardware test program, all check good.

:)

Struggling10, Jan 4, 2021
  2. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Jan 4, 2021
  3. Shrout1 Win User
    Thunderbolt 2.0 hot plug problems Windows 10

TL;DR:

For some reason hot plugging my Thunderbolt dock is not working correctly on my new laptop. I am trying to determine if I've overlooked a troubleshooting step.

Problem:

If the dock is unplugged after the system has already booted then my USB devices (mouse & keyboard) will not reconnect when the dock is reconnected. Thunderbolt monitor reconnects, but not USB. No power is provided to the keyboard or mouse - keyboard lights do not illuminate & optical sensor on the mouse stays dark. This is resolved with a reboot, but the problem persists.

Hardware / Software:

• Dell Precision M3800
    • BIOS A09 (previously upgraded to A10 before motherboard replacement)
    • Windows 10 (direct upgrade from Windows 7 64 Bit Professional )
    • Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Express Dock HD
    • Thunderbolt (TM) Controller - 157D
      • Device manager hardware ID "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_157D&SUBSYS_11112222&REV_00"
      • This is an Intel hardware ID (fitting as Intel makes Thunderbolt)
    • GRUB bootloader
      • Kali Linux on second hard drive partition

Attempted fixes: (None of these solved the problem)

• All Intel Chipset drivers reinstalled from Dell's website via their tech support's recommendation
    • Driver update on Thunderbolt controller yields "Software for your device is up to date"
    • "Fresco logic USB3.0 host controller" reinstalled
    • Upgraded original OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10
    • Upgraded system BIOS from A09 to A10
    • Had Belkin directly replace the docking station with a new one
    • Had Dell directly replace the system motherboard
      • The new board has the A09 BIOS
    • Stopped and started Thunderbolt (TM) service
    • Booted into Safe mode
      • Thunderbolt works on boot but the thunderbolt service cannot run in safe mode
      • Hot plugging fails to work correctly in safe mode
    • All Thunderbolt devices involved have been authorized in the "Thunderbolt TM Software" and set to "Always Connect"

Other Notes:

• An identical Precision M3800 and Belkin dock were ordered at the same time as my own
      • This other laptop does not have the same problems mine does with hot plugging
      • This other "working" laptop has been used with both docks w/o problems hot plugging
      • The "non-working" laptop has the same problems hot plugging with both docks
      • The working laptop has Windows 10 loaded onto it - it was also upgraded from x64 7 Pro
      • The working laptop does not have GRUB or a second OS installed
    • Cannot locate drivers for the "Thunderbolt 157D controller" on Intel's website.
      • It is possible that this is a rebadged controller they are already manufacturing; complete dearth of information.

Last Thoughts:

• Is there anything obvious I am overlooking?
    • Is there some problem with hot plugging when GRUB is installed or a second OS is on a system?
    • Are there any pieces of system software that typically interfere with hot plugging thunderbolt devices?
    • With this description would a fresh OS reinstall likely fix the issue?

Apologies for the length of this post; thus far commercial tech support has been limited and time consuming. I am hopeful that someone in the community may already be familiar with this issue.

Shrout1, Jan 4, 2021
  4. Ferds_N Win User

Dell laptop, occasional boot problem – Hardware, Bios or OS problem?

how do I know if there is a hardware problem?

If you have done all the troubleshooting steps found on the link I would suggest getting your laptop fixed by a certified Dell hardware Technician, you may be having a hardware problem. It is possible that the motherboard is dead if you cannot see any
    light indicator anywhere when you power on the laptop.

Ferds_N, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

Dell laptop, occasional boot problem – Hardware, Bios or OS problem?

1. Dell laptop, occasional boot problem – Hardware, Bios or OS problem? - Similar Threads - Dell laptop occasional

2. Dell laptop start problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell laptop start problem: It shows Windous failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be thecause. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-laptop-start-problem/dbbbc400-426b-4d46-8328-468872fe696f
  3. Dell laptop start problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell laptop start problem: It shows Windous failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be thecause. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-laptop-start-problem/dbbbc400-426b-4d46-8328-468872fe696f
  4. Problem with keyboard laptop Dell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with keyboard laptop Dell: Hey I have a problem with the keyboard on my laptop. For example when I press "3" the computer opens programs, opens file explorer. Yesterday everything was still ok, I tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers, nothing helped, I also changed the settings in Ease of access....
  5. Problem with keyboard laptop Dell

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with keyboard laptop Dell: Hey I have a problem with the keyboard on my laptop. For example when I press "3" the computer opens programs, opens file explorer. Yesterday everything was still ok, I tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers, nothing helped, I also changed the settings in Ease of access....
  6. BIOS/Boot manager problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BIOS/Boot manager problem: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/zoenvisje [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jj6mb8/biosboot_manager_problem/
  7. BIOS boot problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BIOS boot problem: Error sending End of Post message to ME: HECI disabled, proceeding with boot ? How do I fix this in my BIOS? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bios-boot-problem/f4381914-b85a-4bda-b65a-89261322b6a2
  8. Boot problems with Dell Inspiron Laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot problems with Dell Inspiron Laptop: Ok so the problems with my Dell Inspiron 5577 laptop started when it closed while performing a factory reset. Ever sonce then its been unable to boot up. Now when i turn it on it askes me to enter the system password, when i do so it just says “cannot find enabled boot...
  9. Bios Boot menu problem.

in Windows 10 Support
    Bios Boot menu problem.: my msconfig shows only windows option as below [img] But bcdedit /enum firmware shows ubuntu as below [img] Even after doing bcdedit /delete {identifier}, after reboot, bcdedit /enum firmware shows ubuntu. Bios also shows ubuntu option. I do not have ubuntu now in any...
  10. Laptop Hardware (?) problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop Hardware (?) problems: One of my machines is a HP probook 6550b. This has done well over many years use. Recently it has started running the fan at a higher speed than normal - although the heat from the exit is only very mildly warm - therefore I do not think it to be a heat issue. Yes I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error sending end of post message to me dell