Windows 10: Dell laptop will not wake from sleep, shuts down when idle for a few seconds, started after...

Discus and support Dell laptop will not wake from sleep, shuts down when idle for a few seconds, started after... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've got a Dell Inspiron 7786 2-in-one laptop that has a problem with power management. OS is Windows 10 version 2004. Laptop came with a 128GB M.2 SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SalemMurphy, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Dell laptop will not wake from sleep, shuts down when idle for a few seconds, started after...

I've got a Dell Inspiron 7786 2-in-one laptop that has a problem with power management. OS is Windows 10 version 2004. Laptop came with a 128GB M.2 SSD and a 1TB mechanical HDD. When I first bought it I upgraded to a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD. After doing that upgrade a year ago I experienced the same problem and managed to fix it by disabling some power management things. It worked fine for a year, but recently I had a wireless card die on me and during the troubleshooting Dell insisted I reinstall Windows three times, plus uninstall and reinstall the wireless driver countless times, before they wuold accept that it was a hardware issue, but I digress. Ever since reinstalling Windows it has reverted to its old ways. Unfortunately I either forget or can't find what I did to fix it before. I do know this:

* This is NOT a heat issue. It happens when the computer is sitting idle for more than 30 seconds, and happens every time.
    *This is a power management issue but it is beyond the scope of Windows' built-in basic power management settings. Changing sleep/hibernate settings, including disabling, makes no difference. Windows no longer offers the option of disabling turning the HDD off after XX time.
    * The problem is that the SSD is shutting down while it is idle. If I play a video in the background and let the computer sit it will happily hum along all day. If I stop the video and put the computer down it will shut itself off in about 30 seconds. Not the normal shut down or sleep - it shuts off as though the battery was suddenly pulled. Likewise if I am doing anything at all that causes the computer to access the HDD at all, such as surfing the web, it will continue to function normally. However if I'm doing something that doesn't require HDD "pinging", such as reading a long article on a website, it will shut down suddenly and with no warning after about 30 seconds. Even as I type this I have a video looping in a minimized window of VLC to keep hitting the hard drive to keep it awake.

Aside from the SSD powering down when idle for more than 30 seconds the PC will not sleep. If I close the lid and set it down, then pick it up again and open the lid, the computer starts from cold boot and everything that was on the screen when the lid was closed is gone. I am suspecting this is related to the idle shut down thing, as the last time I fixed it, both problems disappeared.

So here's the problem: I can't for the life of me remember what I did that last time, and google searches aren't helping. I vaguely remember editing something in the registry. I also vaguely remember uninstalling a Windows component, then setting Windows Update to not reinstall it. I just can't remember what that was. Anyone else fight this problem?

:)

SalemMurphy, Jun 24, 2020
  2. spettro Win User

Dell WIN10 DESKTOP (NOT LAPTOP!) does not wake from sleep

Dell WIN10 DESKTOP (NOT LAPTOP!) does not wake from sleep.

After frustration with sleep issues, PC was set to never sleep and hibernation was DISABLED, hybrid sleep was set to OFF.

PC went into sleep overnight, and cannot be waked.

After manual shutdown & holding for 45 seconds, PC goes immediately back into sleep mode on pressing start button, with light flashing but will not wake up. No opportunity to get control of the PC.

USB wire-connected keyboard & mouse are not "on" and thus not recognized by sleeping system.

IE, NO WAY TO GET COMMAND PROMPT or GET CONTROL OF BOOT or SYSTEM, SO CANNOT TRY THE MANY TIPS FOUND IN FORUMS FOR ENDLESS SLEEP MODE, NOR CAN I UPDATE DRIVERS - sorry for CAPs but I've seen many suggestions, all of which rely on being able to access the BIOS or Safe Start etc, so are not helpful to this case. Thanks in advance for any help!

spettro, Jun 24, 2020
  3. Dell Inspiron 3543 wake from sleep issue.

Hello All,

Below is my laptop details

Laptop Model: Dell inspiron 3543

BIOS ver: 05.06.05

Processor: i3

Ram : 8GB

HDD: 1TB

I am facing a issue related to wake from sleep, where when i put my laptop to sleep either manually or auto sleep set to 60min but when i try to wake it by opening the lid or pressing the power button there is no display ( this scenario is for short sleep
    duration).

The 2nd scenario is overnight sleep where i manually put the laptop to sleep and morning when i try to wake the laptop the battery is drained or same as the 1st scenario no display.

In both the cases, i have to long press the power button ( Hard restart).

As per my observation, it might have happened after the recent Windows update KB4462919, KB4462930.

Steps taken to rectify the issue:

• BIOS Update - Speedstep disabled in BIOS and Fast startup from Power Option.
    • Power option reset
    • Hybrid sleep off and on
    • Hibernate off and on
    • Sleep Duration change
    • Allow this computer to wake from sleep WIFI and Ethernet Disabled
    • Disable modern/connected standby HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power --- CsEnabled set to 0
    Thanks in advance

Regard`s

Sudarshan.H.R

sudarshan_hr, Jun 24, 2020
  4. Dell laptop will not wake from sleep, shuts down when idle for a few seconds, started after...

Laptop goes into sleep mode when already shutting down

I have a Dell E6530 laptop with Windows 10. When I shut down Windows and then close the laptop a few seconds later, it begins to shut down but still into sleep mode. When I press the power button later expecting the computer to start, it wakes up to the "Shutting Down" message. How can I tell the computer to not go into sleep mode when it already started shutting down?

Konrad Höffner, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

Dell laptop will not wake from sleep, shuts down when idle for a few seconds, started after...

1. Dell laptop will not wake from sleep, shuts down when idle for a few seconds, started after... - Similar Threads - Dell laptop wake

2. Automatically shut down after the laptop getting sleep when idle.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatically shut down after the laptop getting sleep when idle.: Recently I reset the laptop in recovery and then a few days after the reset, I suddenly encountered a problem. While my laptop was sleeping, it suddenly shut down. Let's say that I left it idle and then when it went to sleep on its own after pressing the buttons to turn it on...
  3. Automatically shut down after the laptop getting sleep when idle.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatically shut down after the laptop getting sleep when idle.: Recently I reset the laptop in recovery and then a few days after the reset, I suddenly encountered a problem. While my laptop was sleeping, it suddenly shut down. Let's say that I left it idle and then when it went to sleep on its own after pressing the buttons to turn it on...
  4. Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle: Hello,I'm asking a question because I tried all the methods I found here.I'm trying to fix a problem on an Asus k551ln that shuts down instead of going to sleep when let idle. I tried a lot of methods running troubleshooting, reinstalling fully clean windows, powercfg...
  5. Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle: Hello,I'm asking a question because I tried all the methods I found here.I'm trying to fix a problem on an Asus k551ln that shuts down instead of going to sleep when let idle. I tried a lot of methods running troubleshooting, reinstalling fully clean windows, powercfg...
  6. Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Laptop not waking from sleep/idle

Laptop not waking from sleep/idle: This infuriating issue began a few months ago, after an update I believe. I have been trying to fix it ever since.Acer Spin 5 SP515-51GNThe laptop doesn't wake from sleep after it has been left for more than a few seconds after the screen has turned off. When plugged into...
  8. Laptop randomly shuts down after waking from sleep

Laptop randomly shuts down after waking from sleep: I have a laptop, built for me, running windows 10. This issue comes and goes, but it has happened five or six times in the last three days. After sleeping the laptop, upon waking opening the lid the fan whirs and then the whole machine shuts down. Usually it is fine after...
  9. Laptop isn't waking from sleep, nor is it shutting down

Laptop isn't waking from sleep, nor is it shutting down: I am facing two annoying problems on my HP Pavilion laptop: 1. My laptop doesn't wake up. The lights don't blink. Instead, they just stay on, with the screen blank, and the only way to get out of this is by forcefully shutting it down and starting it up again. 2. When i...
  10. Laptop immediately waking up from sleep and shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop immediately waking up from sleep and shut down: As the title says, when I put the laptop to sleep it boots up right away, when I do a full shut down, it turns off, boots up after 2 seconds, fails while making a strange sound, then boots up again normally This has been bothering me for three weeks now, I have looked...