Windows 10: Dell Support Assist App temporary fix

Discus and support Dell Support Assist App temporary fix in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; The Microsoft Store app "Dell SupportAssist for PCs" does not function properly on my Dell Optiplex 960 with 32 bit Windows 10 Pro (latest OS version... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by Co S, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Co S Win User

Dell Support Assist App temporary fix

The Microsoft Store app "Dell SupportAssist for PCs" does not function properly on my Dell Optiplex 960 with 32 bit Windows 10 Pro (latest OS version and updates installed).

It installs (version 3.1.30.0) and it is announced that it can be launched but then only momentarily a blue window with the SupportAssist wrench symbol is shown.

When I don't install it from the Microsoft Store but directly from the Dell Support site ( version 3.1.0.142) Settings\Apps & features shows 2 "SupportAssists" installed:
    - Dell SupportAssist 146 MB and
    - SupportAssist (Dell Inc) 16.0 KB.

I used to have it installed from the Dell Support site but since the latest update it has the same problem as described above.

Note: the installed differences I noticed between the 2 versions of Dell SupportAssist are described under the procedure below.

There are 2 ways to address this issue:

1) Go directly to your Dell Support site and enter your service tag # or have your PC/laptop detected.

But be careful: it will only work using the following browsers:

- Windows Explorer;

- Mozilla Firefox;

- Google Chrome;

- Opera.

It will not work properly with:

- Microsoft Edge;

- Brave;

- Epic.

e.g. When Diagnose for Optiplex 960 is selected a message is generated that the system is not supported, only Windows 7, 8 and 10 are supported which seems to indicate that the OS is not properly detected.

Note: these are the browsers I checked.

The site will detect your PC, it requires Dell SupportAssist to do so.

If that has not been installed it will install after your consent (follow the instructions on the screen) and continue with the detection so you can use the site services (Diagnosis, HW checks, System properties).

2) If you want to use SupportAssist without going to the Dell Support site, a helpful discussion with jbilinski (moderator on the Dell Community) has helped me to devise a temporary workaround to get the Dell version of the app going.

It provides a shortcut on your desktop screen that will start SupportAssist correctly.

2.1) If not already installed, install SupportAssist from the Dell site:

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/SupportAssist

2.2) Follow the instructions of the procedure below.

Procedure:

1) Open Notepad
    2) Write: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c C:\"Program Files"\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin\SupportAssistUI.exe Launch
    3) Right click on your desktop and select new>shortcut
    4) Copy your text from item 2) and paste it into "Type the location of the item"
    5) Click next
    6) Type a name for the item (initially it shows cmd), I changed it into SupportAssist and click Finish.
    7) Ready: your desktop now shows a predominantly black icon (DOS cmd screen picture) with the new name.
    Double clicking it starts a command screen immediately followed by launching of SupportAssist. When you close SupportAssist the command screen closes automatically.

Optionally the desktop icon can be changed to the normal SupportAssist icon:
    1) rightclick the new icon and select properties
    2) click "Change Icon"
    3) click "Browse"
    4) double click "Local Disk (CDell Support Assist App temporary fix :)
    5) double click folder "Program Files"
    6) double click folder "Dell"
    7) double click folder "SupportAssistAgent"
    8) double click folder "bin"
    9) double click folder "Content"
    10) double click folder "images" whereafter the Dell_SupportAssistAgent icon is shown
    11) click the icon and select open, the icon is now shown in the Change Icon window
    12 click OK and OK in the following screen
    Done: the icon has been changed.

Noticed differences between Dell SupportAssist from Microsoft Store and Dell site

When only Dell SupportAssist for PCs is installed from the Microsoft Store:
    - its installed size is 51,0 MB (Settings\Apps & Features);
    - 5 services (Dell Data Vault Collector, Dell Data Vault Processor, Dell Data Vault Service API, Dell Hardware Support and Dell SupportAssist) are not available;
    - 3 folders/files (C:\ProgramData\PCDr, C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist and C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent) are not present;
    - it is not found by the Microsoft tool to address install/uninstall problems.
    This may explain the difference in installed size for the different application sources.

When only Dell SupportAssist is installed from the Dell site after the version from the Microsoft Store has been removed:
    - its installed size is 146 MB for Dell SupportAssist but also 16,0KB for an additional SupportAssist Dell Inc app;
    - the 5 services above mentioned are available and running;
    - the 3 folders/files above are present;
    - it is found by the Microsoft tool to address install/uninstall problems.
    Now what the Microsoft Store app should do I don't know because I never tried it before but it has the same start problem as the Dell app.

Add tags

:)

2. dell support assist

It is ironic that you donot know about dell support assist app.It is not some support page.

HarisAbdullah, Feb 23, 2019
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Dell Support Assist

You can uninstall Support Assist on both computers. You don't need it and it can cause problems. If you ever want to use it in the future, Dell Downloads and Drivers will reinstall it to scan your computer or you can install it manually. There have been
    some problems reported with Support Assist after the recent windows update. I'd wait awhile until the problems are fixed.

To reinstall-- Dell SupportAssist für PCs und Tablet-PCs | Dell DEUTSCHLAND

mlg63, Feb 23, 2019
  4. Dell Support Assist App temporary fix

Support Assist.

My support assist is not responding.

When I attempted to go to my control panel and programs I looked for H support to repair and I do not have an HP support list in my programs at all.

What is my next step please?

Reichert Renee, Feb 23, 2019
Thema:

Dell Support Assist App temporary fix

1. Dell Support Assist App temporary fix - Similar Threads - Dell Support Assist

2. dell support assist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dell support assist: I have the newest and latest version of support assist. when i try to run the hardware scan it keeps failing say exc command failed. Del has been trying to resolve this issue for weeks now. The tried today and said it is a dll error. and that i have to re install the...
  3. dell support assist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dell support assist: I have the newest and latest version of support assist. when i try to run the hardware scan it keeps failing say exc command failed. Del has been trying to resolve this issue for weeks now. The tried today and said it is a dll error. and that i have to re install the...
  4. dell support assist

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Dell Support Assist

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dell Support Assist: Support assist launcher or installer will stop as soon as it starts to install. Below is the event log entry, help pease: Log Name: Application Source: MsiInstaller Date: 2/21/2021 9:21:47 PM Event ID: 1024 Task Category: None Level:...
  6. Dells Support Assist?

Dells Support Assist?: This display is now on the bottom of my Dell Desk Top. If I click on it a box comes up. I "X" it out and it comes back. I notice also that my screen no longer turns off if not in use after 15 minutes. It stays on all the time. What is this???...
  7. Support Assist Dell

Support Assist Dell: Every time I try to run Support Assist on my laptop, an error code occurs. BAD POOL CALLER. Can I simply remove this program? Do I really need it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/support-assist-dell/b26fb1d5-fc84-4eec-9e4c-3055a60f67ef
  8. Dell Support Assist

Dell Support Assist: Dell Support Assist program does not work on Windows 10. My laptop is on the Windows Insider Program running Build 190921-1704. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-support-assist/506f837a-e9c6-4929-9490-b1140f6cc47c
  9. Dell Support Assist

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell Support Assist: Dell Support Assist has not been working since the latest Microsoft updates. Will there be a fix soon? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-support-assist/9421e14a-3f6a-4efa-9159-e2e5dce7feca
  10. Dell support assistant

Dell support assistant: I am trying to scan computer using Dell support assistant, and it will do everything but scan hardware. I can update drivers and everything else, but scan hardware. I have tried rebooting several times then running support assistant, but still nothing The contract expired 3...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell support assistant

2. support assist launcher

3. dell support

4. Open Dell support assist,
  5. dell support assist will not launch,
  6. support assistant dell,
  7. supportassist crashing,
  8. dell support assistant not working,
  9. dell support assistant crashes pc,
  10. DELL SUPPORT ASSIST APP,
  11. dell support assistant windows 10 will not install,