Windows 10: Dell Touchpad scrolling not working on old laptop after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Dell Touchpad scrolling not working on old laptop after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; this is less a question and more an answer that will hopefully help someone in the future. my brother gave me an old dell inspiron N5030 that he no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ChaseVogt, May 19, 2019.

1. ChaseVogt Win User

Dell Touchpad scrolling not working on old laptop after Windows 10 update

this is less a question and more an answer that will hopefully help someone in the future.

my brother gave me an old dell inspiron N5030 that he no longer needed so i figured i'd update it from windows 7 to windows 10 and try and find some use for it.

upon updating i discovered the touchpad's scroll feature no longer worked, this is the old vertical scroll on the right, horizontal scroll along the bottom type of device, not the more modern multi gesture two finger scroll we've all come to love.

after an in depth search i landed on these instructions and drivers that fixed the problem about 5 minutes ago, and figured i'd post here for posterity and for some poor soul reading this trying to avoid grabbing the scroll bar every 5 seconds.

The instructions for extracting and installing the drivers can be found here:

How to Fix your Dell Touchpad

Under the heading "contents" you'll find links to the various drivers of each touchpad used in Dell Laptop's, a quick search of your model number should tell you where to start, mine was an Alps touchpad, and the driver that finally did the trick for me is listed on that page as

beware you may have to try quite a few of the drivers before you succeed, but there it is, so if you're on an ancient laptop but running windows 10 scroll to your hearts content

:)

ChaseVogt, May 19, 2019
  2. nxavis9 Win User

I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, May 19, 2019
  3. Josie23 Win User
    I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

These 7 steps allowed me to disable my touchpad (Dell laptop, Windows 10):

1. Win Start button
    2. Type in "device manager"
    3. Select Device Manager to open it
    4. Click down arrow to left of "Mice and other..." to expand
    5. Right click Dell Touchpad
    6. Disable device
    7. Yes

Dell Touchpad scrolling not working on old laptop after Windows 10 update [​IMG]

Dell Touchpad scrolling not working on old laptop after Windows 10 update [​IMG]

Josie23, May 19, 2019
  4. accsmoo Win User

Touchpad scroll not working on Windows 10

My Dell Inspiron 15 came with Windows 10...the scroll function quit working. When I rolled back the driver using the steps listed above, it still didn't work...the touchpad settings disappeared and the touchpad did not even show up in the device list
    anymore...then I had to figure out how to find the correct "mouse" on the device list and restore the driver...when the driver downloaded, the touchpad settings would not open...then when I tried to open a url on a webpage, all I got was a window asking me
    if I wanted to leave this page...my recommendation is not to follow these directions...just use your up and down arrow to scroll...it will save you some trouble...

accsmoo, May 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Dell Touchpad scrolling not working on old laptop after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Dell Touchpad scrolling

2. Dell laptop Touchpad not working [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    Dell laptop Touchpad not working [Fix]: [IMG]This article shows how to troubleshoot and fix the issue if your Dell laptop touchpad is not working. Some of the possible causes of this problem are a corrupt touchpad driver, the touchpad being disabled, a hardware fault, etc. Fix Dell laptop Touchpad not working If...
  3. Touchpad Scroll Not Working...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad Scroll Not Working...: Windows 10 Lenovo laptop touchpad 2 finger and touchpad edge scroll functions stopped working in certain apps ie Calendar Onenote Mail Photos etc since they were updated Works fine on other Microsoft and non Microsoft apps like Edge File explorer Chrome Opera etc already...
  4. Touchpad Scroll Not Working...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad Scroll Not Working...: Windows 10 Lenovo laptop touchpad 2 finger and touchpad edge scroll functions stopped working in certain apps ie Calendar Onenote Mail Photos etc since they were updated Works fine on other Microsoft and non Microsoft apps like Edge File explorer Chrome Opera etc already...
  5. Touchpad not working after updating Windows Laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Touchpad not working after updating Windows Laptop: How do I resolve this issue? The touchpad does not show up under device manager. Not sure how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-not-working-after-updating-windows-laptop/4b4e069f-48c2-4692-8825-3ea0625887b9
  6. Touchpad scroll dead after Win 10 update?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Touchpad scroll dead after Win 10 update?: As prompted, I updated my Windows 10. Now touchpad scroll is dead, and Mice/touchpad do not appear in device manager list. ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-scroll-dead-after-win-10-update/32534103-2599-4d35-8538-b7cc7ea06a46
  7. TouchPad Scrolling Issue after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    TouchPad Scrolling Issue after Windows Update: After a recent upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.356), the scrolling feature on my laptop's touchpad ceased to work. The mouse still works from the touchpad. However, the two-finger scroll feature is no longer working. I have an ASUS laptop....
  8. Touchpad scroll not working

Touchpad scroll not working: I just got my laptop repaired for a hard drive issue. Since I got it back I haven't been able to scroll using my touchpad. I've tried uninstalling my touchpad software and reinstalling it. I have everything updated. I don't know how to fix it....
  9. Touchpad scroll not work

Touchpad scroll not work: i want to ask something, i think my touchpad is error. but its diffrence from question i see before. my touchpad scroll not working in any program like mozilla, explore, etc. but it work in setting, start menu. so what should i do to fix it?...
  10. Dell Touchpad no longer scrolls or zooms since Windows 10 update

Dell Touchpad no longer scrolls or zooms since Windows 10 update: Since my most recent Windows 10 update the Touchpad on my Dell Latitude laptop no longer scrolls or zooms. I have to manually update the driver upon every restart and upon waking up from sleep. How do I fix this problem so I don't have to update the drive several times a day?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. updated touchpad drivers but still not working on dell

2. update dell 7275 to windows 10 1909 touchpad not work

3. dell inspiron 3481 windows 10 touchpad scroll direction

4. touchpad scroll not working windows 10 Dell,
  5. windows 10 1909 breaks touch pad,
  6. touch pad doesnt scroll after Windows 10 update,
  7. older Dell laptop trackpad not scrolling,
  8. scroll not working windows 10 old laptop,
  9. dell inspiron touchpad scroll,
  10. windows 10 touchpad on old laptop,
  11. touchpad mouse not scrolling after update,