Windows 10: Dell UEFI cause shut down to fail in windows

Discus and support Dell UEFI cause shut down to fail in windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, On certain Dell machines (different models), I have seen that Windows 10 (1803) fails to perform a full shut down after the BIOS has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by VikingOy, Sep 17, 2018.

1. VikingOy Win User

Dell UEFI cause shut down to fail in windows

Hi All,
    On certain Dell machines (different models), I have seen that Windows 10 (1803) fails to perform a full shut down after the BIOS has been changed to UEFI Boot. I know for certain that this is a fact after the following tests on an E4310:

1. There were no such problems with 1703 version of Windows (or earlier - including W8 and W7).
    2. The problem didn't occur in 1803 either, as long as the boot mode was set to legacy.
    3. As soon as the boot mode is set to UEFI, any Windows 10 (1803) mode fails to shut down the computer. This includes the following modes:
    a) Safe Mode
    b) USB or CD/DVD installation media
    c) Recovery mode

At first, I thought it might have something to do with the GPT disk format, but even booting without a disk, just using a USB setup/installation memory stick causes the same problem as long as the stick has the 1803 version and UEFI boot is selected. Booting into BIOS mode alone doesn't help. The BIOS has to be set to legacy boot. Then everything works ok.
    I have searched the internet for weeks and moths without finding any help with this. So now I'm trying this forum.

Rgds
    Viking

:)

VikingOy, Sep 17, 2018

2. Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

As the title says, I'm trying to install Windows on a RAID array in uefi on my Maximus V Formula. When using legacy ROM I can install just fine but I go into CSM and change settings to UEFI only, I can build the array in the UEFI Raid driver (IRST tab in "BIOS") but the array does not show up in the boot menu and when I try to install windows (boot from UEFI DVD drive), The drive does not show up in the Windows install. The next thing I tried was to enable UEFI and legacy oprom in CSM, boot from UEFI DVD drive and install to the RAID array (probably detected by legacy oprom) and it will install. After first reboot, Windows Boot manager will show up as an option in the BIOS boot menu so I set that as first boot device and reboot. I will get to the starting windows screen and then BSOD (too quick to get codes) The last thing I tried was Changing to legacy mode and installing windows to a different drive. once installed, I initialized the Raid array as GPT and rebooted, changed csm back to UEFI only but they RAID array still doesn't show in the boot device list so I repeated the earlier process hoping that It might work because I had initialized as GPT but it still BSODs on starting windows screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mystiksinner, Sep 17, 2018
  3. Failing to install Server 2012 R2 via UEFI

Here's the motherboard:
    http://us.msi.com/product/mb/H87G43.html#/?div=Overview

I have two SATA optical drives and I'm trying to install Server 2012 via two SATA 250 GB drives configured for RAID1.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials is a trial ISO obtained from Microsoft and burned on my computer using ImgBurn. It was burned at x6 speed (the slowest my disks allow), it passed verification, and I didn't change any settings beyond the speed setting.

I updated the BIOS from 2.6 to 2.7 (highest available).

When I try (usually by accident) to install Windows via MBR, everything goes as expected. When I switch to the UEFI option, right after pressing a key to boot the CD/DVD, it says:

I do #1 and #2 never happens under UEFI. I have been Googling for information about this for hours and nothing I saw suggested was remotely similar to my situation, demands I buy software, or simply doesn't work. I'm out of ideas.

Windows Boot Manager does not appear under boot options in the BIOS.

This is intended to be a clean installation. I've repeatedly tried to delete and recreate the RAID1 array but, through the EFI Shell, I was able to backup data on the RAID1 array. This tells me the volume is indeed accessible and it's very much full of data.

I've tried both SATA DVD drives in the computer as well as a USB DVD drive and all have the same result.

As far as I can tell, Windows is failing to copy it's initial files over to begin the install process.

Any ideas?

FordGT90Concept, Sep 17, 2018
  4. Dell UEFI cause shut down to fail in windows

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

Dell UEFI cause shut down to fail in windows

1. Dell UEFI cause shut down to fail in windows - Similar Threads - Dell UEFI cause

2. Dell laptop keeps shutting down randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell laptop keeps shutting down randomly: Hi, my laptop has been shutting down randomly mostly when im playing games, im not really sure of the reason thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-laptop-keeps-shutting-down-randomly/e16a9d53-8664-4740-bc3c-65d2a69160c1
  3. Dell laptop keeps shutting down randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell laptop keeps shutting down randomly: Hi, my laptop has been shutting down randomly mostly when im playing games, im not really sure of the reason thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-laptop-keeps-shutting-down-randomly/e16a9d53-8664-4740-bc3c-65d2a69160c1
  4. Dell laptop keeps shutting down randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Program Manager is causing Windows to no shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program Manager is causing Windows to no shut down: About 50% of the time lately when I am shutting down my PC I get a message that Program Manager is preventing Windows shutting down. I always click on Shutdown Anyway. What is causing this issue?...
  6. Program Manager is causing Windows to no shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program Manager is causing Windows to no shut down: About 50% of the time lately when I am shutting down my PC I get a message that Program Manager is preventing Windows shutting down. I always click on Shutdown Anyway. What is causing this issue?...
  7. Dell laptop 6520e shuts down randomly

Dell laptop 6520e shuts down randomly: Hello I have a dell laptop 6520e with windows 10 home 1909 OS 18363.1256 that randomly shuts off. Just bought a new dell battery. Also had a new generic battery from Amazon and thought that was the problem which is why I returned the battery to amazon and purchased the Dell...
  8. Dell Inspiron a-3552 keeps shutting down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell Inspiron a-3552 keeps shutting down: I got a computer that was almost new. the 1st owner may have caused issue but they couldn't explain what they did. I removed their profile. the computer will alternate on cutting down after a new minutes or may run awhile. sometimes, it will load but will be flashing on...
  9. WINDOW 10 UPDATE CAUSE MY DELL T3500 DESK TOP COMPLETE SHUT DOWN

WINDOW 10 UPDATE CAUSE MY DELL T3500 DESK TOP COMPLETE SHUT DOWN: UPDATE WAS FORCE AUTOMATICALLY BY MICROSOFT DURING INSTALL UPDATE PC GOT STUCK THEN IT TRY TO UN DO CHANGES PC WENT BLINK TRY TO RESTARTED COULD NOT REBOOT IT SAID NO BOOT DEVICE AVAILABLE TRY F5 ONBOARD DIAGNOSTICS FAIL TEST ERROR CODE 2000-0142 , AND CODE 2000-0146 CAME...
  10. Dell XPS Laptop Shuts Down, Then Restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell XPS Laptop Shuts Down, Then Restarts: Hey all. I posted this here and in a forum with this dell model to see if anyone could assist me with this. My laptop is a dell xps 15 9550. I shut down my computer before i left the house. I sometimes leave computer on sometimes don't. When I came back, I noticed when i...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. uefi cause windows shutdown