Windows 10: dell with confusing drives d data drive vs. os c drive vs. OneDrive

Discus and support dell with confusing drives d data drive vs. os c drive vs. OneDrive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, I just bought this new dell. My last one was 12 years ago. I get it all set up, move over my docs and settings and am impressed with the speed. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ydono, Jan 17, 2020.

1. ydono Win User

dell with confusing drives d data drive vs. os c drive vs. OneDrive

So, I just bought this new dell. My last one was 12 years ago.
    I get it all set up, move over my docs and settings and am impressed with the speed. I noticed though, that my C: drive is already 2/3 rds full with docs. Then I notice this D data drive that has 460 gb of storage space is not being used. So I put docs in there and I notice that when I make changes to the docs, those changes are not reflected in the docs that are in the D Drive.
    Also, apparently, some of my docs went into the one drive cloud and it immediately notified me that I am out of storage and won't let me save the docs' changes - nor will it allow me to move the docs that ended up in the one drive (cloud).

what is going on here? I thought I bought a computer with a huge amount of storage and I've worked on this thing for ten minutes and I can't save anything ......

help!!!!

:)

ydono, Jan 17, 2020

2. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Jan 17, 2020
  3. GordoBarr Win User
    Sync D Drive with OneDrive

I am using OneDrive to sync my files on my C drive and all is working fine. But I can not find a way to have my D drive connect to OneDrive. I would like my D drive to sync with OneDrive. Does anyone know how to get a D Drive to sync with OneDrive?

GordoBarr, Jan 17, 2020
  4. Gerwoj Win User

OS drive versus D drive

My new window computer has 100g on the OS drive, of which 71G is already used (Computer is two weeks old)

How much of the 71G is from the Windows 10 operating system?

If I buy a piece of software and install it on my computer, is it all going to land on the OS drive?

MY D drive has 1TB of storage space. It is designated as D (Data).

I assume anything I create (Word Docs, CAD drawings, etc) would be stored here.

If What I've said is true why do documents I create default to the OS C: drive?

Gerwoj, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

1. dell with confusing drives d data drive vs. os c drive vs. OneDrive - Similar Threads - dell confusing drives

2. Data erasure vs Data drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Data erasure vs Data drives: just wondering if the "data erasure" and the other faster option have any performance difference when wiping a pc or if data erasure just makes it harder to get your old data after you sell your pc/drive submitted by /u/Krazbuto [link] [comments]...
  3. Partitioned drives C vs D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partitioned drives C vs D: Hi I bought a new Windows 10 notebook. I did not realize that the data storage was partitioned. I have 119 GB on C: "Windows" and 930 GB on D: "data drive". My files do not all fit on C:. I assume the data on the D drive loses some functionality, but I don't know what...
  4. Storing data on Drive C, versus Drive D

Storing data on Drive C, versus Drive D: I have 1.22GB of 118GB available on the C Drive of my 2016 HP laptop, where everything gets stored by default. So pretty close to maxed out. But my D Drive has 854GB of 918GB available. How can I shift everything to the D Drive? Could making such change cause the laptop to...
  5. C Drive vs. D Drive

C Drive vs. D Drive: Hello--looking for some assistance with designating storage to the D drive on my computer. I have the settings arranged so that all new download content is supposed to go to the D drive--music, etc.--but it is still going to the C drive anyway. Thanks for any help!...
  6. Moving data files to the D:\drive confusion!

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Moving data files to the D:\drive confusion!: I moved the Data files Contacts, Documents etc. to the D:\ drive using the Properties > Location > Move method and Office Word etc. in Options > Save show that the Save destination is D:\Users\username\Documents which is as it should be BUT which of the duplicated folders as...
  7. One Drive This PC Only vs OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive This PC Only vs OneDrive: When configuring OneDrive, what is the difference in results in saving Documents and Pictures to This PC Only or OneDrive? The Folders selected to sync with OneDrive will be uploaded and accessible on my 2in1 if This PC Only is selected. What is different between these...
  8. Drive Partition view Reflect vs. OS?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive Partition view Reflect vs. OS?: Any particular reason that Macrium Reflect displays 4 partitions whereas the OS displays 3 (attached)? Realized both images were of Reflect, missing image from OS. I removed one of the duplicates. The OS only shows 3 partitions. It does not show the 16.0Mb primary...
  9. OneDrive vs. Local drive and back up drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive vs. Local drive and back up drive: It's been close to a year now that I've been wanting to organize my photos/documents to be all in one place. I've posted other questions regarding this thru the year and am finally going to take the time to get things right in the next week or so. Currently I have all my...
  10. Recovery Drive vs Recovery Partition vs PE Rescue Disk, confused.

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Drive vs Recovery Partition vs PE Rescue Disk, confused.: After I did a clean install of Win10 about a year ago, I created a USB Recovery Drive. I also have a Norton Security Recovery Drive and I’ve created USB Bootable PE Rescue Disk by Kyhi. I also use Acronis to create regular full disk images and I have a USB Bootable Acronis...