Windows 10: Dell XPS 13 Won't boot from recovery drive.

Discus and support Dell XPS 13 Won't boot from recovery drive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My XPS 13 was stuck on the Dell icon when booting up. So I downloaded the recovery software on another laptop and made a boot drive using Dell's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BBTIV, Jan 30, 2020.

1. BBTIV Win User

Dell XPS 13 Won't boot from recovery drive.

My XPS 13 was stuck on the Dell icon when booting up. So I downloaded the recovery software on another laptop and made a boot drive using Dell's recovery software. I went in and disable secure boot mode and then selected the USB as the boot drive. Now it started up from the usb drive, I believe, as I now get the blue windows logo on the screen instead oft he Dell logo. But still, now it just gets stuck on the blue windows logo with the dots underneath circling forever. It's been about 15 minutes now so I don't expect this to work.

Any other options to try and get the laptop on and restore Windows? Is there another bootable drive software that might work other than Dell's?

Additionally: I do have the original SSD that came with the XPS. So I guess I could put that back in and try from there. But I do have some photos and files on this hard drive so I'd love to get this working if possible. Question, if I pull out the currently installed SSD and put it in an enclosure, can I then get the files off it or is that not possible to do because of the formatting or something?

Thank you

:)

BBTIV, Jan 30, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Dell XPS 13 Hard Drive Boot Inaccesible Boot Device

If it helps, some way down the link I posted earlier was this...

Can't boot from USB. (Partially Solved) - Dell XPS 13 developer edition / Project Sputnik Feedback - OS and Applications - Dell Community

3. Bree Win User
  4. LeoLozes Win User

Dell XPS 13 (9343) with SM961 NVMe SSD won't boot

My brand new M.2 NVMe SDD SM961 arrived today, and I decided to check if it improved the performance on my XPS 13. I know it'll probably be bottlenecked by the x2 PCI-E interface, but anyway. If I don't see any improvement, it'll go in my desktop.

The installation of the drive went smoothly, the Windows 10 installation recognized the drive and everything was installed correctly (from USB) at the first attempt without touching anything ...

But after the installation, impossible to boot from the drive: no bootable devices detected

I've tried:

1. Install without UEFI (legacy): The Windows 10 installation can't create partitions / format the hard drive.
    2. Install with UEFI: Windows 10 install works, doesn't find a boot device after.
    3. Install with UEFI, then go legacy in BIOS: Recovery screen: winload.exe Error code 0xc00000e.

I don't quite understand why the Windows 10 installation is capable of detecting the drive & installing everything correctly, and then the computer is not able to boot after that.

I have the latest BIOS (A09).

I've also tried to manually create the hard drive in the UEFI Boot Sequence like this page explains. But then I got another Recovery screen when trying to boot Windows. I'm only able to do this when the USB media is connected (edit: yeah, you guessed, no SSD, only seeing the USB there). If I do it when it's disconnected, I get a"File System not found" prompt.

One strange thing I've noticed is that my BIOS doesn't seem to recognize the SSD, and the Dell onboard diagnostics either.

LeoLozes, Jan 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Dell XPS 13 Won't boot from recovery drive. - Similar Threads - Dell XPS Won't

2. Dell xps 13 won't start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell xps 13 won't start: Dell xps won't start. Will not shut off or reboot. Has crashed multiple times. Also showed code SYNTHETIC_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-xps-13-wont-start/0d916ab2-7ff9-45c9-b443-b9052bdd33b0
  3. Dell xps 13 won't start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell xps 13 won't start: Dell xps won't start. Will not shut off or reboot. Has crashed multiple times. Also showed code SYNTHETIC_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-xps-13-wont-start/0d916ab2-7ff9-45c9-b443-b9052bdd33b0
  4. Problem in XPS 13 dell

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem in XPS 13 dell: Hi, I have a new laptop XPS 13 of dell, and for some reason there is a graphic problem when using universal docking station I am using windows 10 20H2 version latest version The problem is like that: 1. when doing right on directory for example, and moving the mouse...
  5. no touch screen on dell xps 13

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no touch screen on dell xps 13: Can someone please tell me how I can get the touch screen to work on a new Dell Xps 13 9300. The touch screen facility has not worked from day 1 now on day 3. The touch screen does not appear under the human interface driver so I cannot enable it there. thanks...
  6. Dell XPS 13 "Camera not found"

Dell XPS 13 "Camera not found": Whenever I try to use the camera built into my laptop it says "0xA00F4244<NoCamerasAreAttached>". I have tried a couple different thing to fix this but nothing has worked and my computer won't update anything when I reset it (Don't know if thats related but still)....
  7. XPS 13 won't reset?

in Windows 10 Support
    XPS 13 won't reset?: I reset my XPS 13 9360 last night to send to someone who has bought it. It just keeps restarting saying it needs an update or something. It gets stuck on the "Just a moment" screen for ages and then just restarts and does it all over again. Please help! 120553
  8. Wifi issues with Dell XPS 13

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi issues with Dell XPS 13: Hello, my problem is I could connect to wifi for a very few minutes and then the yellow triangle sign started to appear. After that, I tried to connect to other networks but no network option found. I went to Settings, and my laptop froze when I pressed “Network..”. The...
  9. Dell XPS 13 Hard Drive Boot Inaccesible Boot Device

Dell XPS 13 Hard Drive Boot Inaccesible Boot Device: ok before i take this laptop to a repair shop i needed to ask for help. This is my huge problem, i installed rollbax rx trail to test it, when it rebooted i saw the BSOD. I created a iso backup using macrium so i thought i was safe but i guess not. When it boots you see the...
  10. Dell XPS 13: Freezes on Dell logo on restart, but boots from cold fine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell XPS 13: Freezes on Dell logo on restart, but boots from cold fine: Morning - we just bought (our second) XPS 13 which I did a clean install of Windows 10 on (to claim back as much disk space as possible). All okay, except when selecting 'Restart' from the 'Start Button/Power', the computer freezes on the Dell logo, not even getting to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. XPS13 9333 bios file