Windows 10: Dell XPS 8700 desktop - Continued Crashing after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Dell XPS 8700 desktop - Continued Crashing after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Today for the 2nd time in less than 10 days upon doing a soft restart the video would not come back on. It appears that it boots up without video and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NancyFreitas2, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Dell XPS 8700 desktop - Continued Crashing after Windows 10 update

Today for the 2nd time in less than 10 days upon doing a soft restart the video would not come back on. It appears that it boots up without video and goes into sleep mode. Attempt to wake system up - the computer does, however, no video. The 1st time it happened my husband had to do a reinstall of everything and had issues bringing files back.

Prior to this the computer had no issues until we had to update to Windows 10. After installation of Windows 10 the system has had issues with long delays during updates and even some complications but not the extent that we are experiencing today. Anyone have similar issue currently?

:)

NancyFreitas2, Jul 18, 2020
  2. Victek Win User

Can the Dell XPS 8700 be upgraded to Windows 10?

A friend with a Dell XPS 8700 i5 that was running Windows 7 had the OS crash. Recovery media is no longer available and a Microsoft Windows 7 disk isn't a solution because it requires inputting a license key; apparently Dell PCs have the license key embedded in the bios. The question is will the XPS 8700 support an upgrade to Windows 10 if we get a retail copy? TIA for any help.

Victek, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Bree Win User

Windows 7 doesn't have a key embedded in the bios, that only started with machines built for Windows 8 and above.

The Dell XPS 8700 appears to have been built for Windows 8, but was available with Windows 7 as a downgrade option. In this case there would be no CoA sticker for W7. If this machine had Windows 7 installed when supplied then the key in the bios would still be one for Windows 8. Type the service tag of your friend's XPS 8700 in the Dell Support site here and the System Configuration section will tell you exactly what this particular machine was originally supplied with.

Dell Support - XPS 8700

Assuming it has a Windows 8 key in the bios then a clean install of Windows 10 will find this key. Setup will use it to choose the correct edition to install, Home or (more likely for this model) Pro. The installed Windows 10 will be activated because this PC has a qualifying Windows 8 license based on the embedded key.

PS: I actually bought a second hand Dell Latitude laptop that was built for Win10 but supplied by Dell with Windows 7 pre-installed, so I am speaking from personal experience.

4. Bree Win User

Dell XPS 8700 desktop - Continued Crashing after Windows 10 update

A link to download Dell images direct from Dell can be generated by the 3rd-party tool from Heidoc.

Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool

However, for the XPS 8700 the only ISO available is for Windows 8.1.

Dell XPS 8700 desktop - Continued Crashing after Windows 10 update [​IMG]

Thema:

Dell XPS 8700 desktop - Continued Crashing after Windows 10 update

1. Dell XPS 8700 desktop - Continued Crashing after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Dell XPS 8700

2. XPS 8700 Windows 10 restarting without asking

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    XPS 8700 Windows 10 restarting without asking: Hi! I got this XPS 8700 7 years ago with windows 10 installed and recently it’s been acting horribily. Now out of no where, my computer will shut down and sometimes turn on by itself. I’m looking online and there’s two possible solutions, check and update the drivers, or...
  3. Dell XPS 8700 stuck at BIOS Dell logo when restarting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dell XPS 8700 stuck at BIOS Dell logo when restarting: When forcing power off and power back on, the machine boots up fine. It only gets stuck when I have it reboot. Things I’ve tried: Installing the latest BIOS (A14) Installing the latest chipset driver Installing the latest network driver sfc /scannow - no errors chkdsk - no...
  4. Cannot Boot Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8700 Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot Boot Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8700 Desktop: My hard drive has crashed and the PC will not boot. I have tried a bootable usb drive, but it shows several partitions on my HDD of which only 1 can be used per the screen messages and it is "too small". Any ideas?...
  5. Dell XPS 8700 upgrades

Dell XPS 8700 upgrades: I'm looking to upgrade my wife's older Dell desktop. She is running windows 7, I would like to give it new life. It takes minutes to completely start up. I purchased a 1TB hard drive and a 250gb ssd. Can I install an OEM version of windows 10 home? or should I get a retail...
  6. Can the Dell XPS 8700 be upgraded to Windows 10?

Can the Dell XPS 8700 be upgraded to Windows 10?: A friend with a Dell XPS 8700 i5 that was running Windows 7 had the OS crash. Recovery media is no longer available and a Microsoft Windows 7 disk isn't a solution because it requires inputting a license key; apparently Dell PCs have the license key embedded in the bios. The...
  7. Dell XPS 8700, PCASp60, NIDS6 & multiple BSOD crashes per day

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dell XPS 8700, PCASp60, NIDS6 & multiple BSOD crashes per day: Hello – Not sure if I am right at this place… I bought a Dell XPS8700 desktop in late 2014. I started out with Win 8.0 Home. From the very beginning, I had BSOD crashes. I updated to Win 8.1 Home, Win 8.1 Pro and now to Win 10 Pro, hoping that the problem will disappear...
  8. My Dell XPS 8700 2014 is driving me nut

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Dell XPS 8700 2014 is driving me nut: Since I upgraded to W10, the Audio Service and internet connection both keep crashing. Randomly. My computer is the only one hard-wired to the router. We have others and none loses their signal. I made sure to try wi-fi on and off, no difference. Tried a different cable....
  9. XPS 8700 Boot Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    XPS 8700 Boot Issues: About a month ago I decided to upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10 on my 2 year old XPS 8700. The update went smoothly and worked fine. When I would shutdown my computer or restart it would attempt to update but fail and revert changes every time. I found this weird but it...
  10. testing windows 10 on my wifes Dell 8700 desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    testing windows 10 on my wifes Dell 8700 desktop: I have a situation that I need some help with. My wife has a Dell xps8700 desktop computer with windows 7 professional. She has some special software on this machine which is working on windows 7 at present, it's some data entry software that is no longer made or supported...