Windows 10: Dell XPS Laptop Shuts Down, Then Restarts

Discus and support Dell XPS Laptop Shuts Down, Then Restarts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all. I posted this here and in a forum with this dell model to see if anyone could assist me with this. My laptop is a dell xps 15 9550. I shut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paulyjustin, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Dell XPS Laptop Shuts Down, Then Restarts

Hey all. I posted this here and in a forum with this dell model to see if anyone could assist me with this.

My laptop is a dell xps 15 9550.

I shut down my computer before i left the house. I sometimes leave computer on sometimes don't. When I came back, I noticed when i opened my laptop it was powered on which made no sense. I was close to 100 percent sure i shut it down because when i did, i made sure power was off before i closed the lid to my laptop.

I then used it for a bit and then decided to power off my laptop... it did... but then like 2-3 few seconds later it automatically powered back on itself. I had this happen once or twice months ago. However, i think when i click shut down... it actually restarted as oppose to shutdown. This time.. it shut down... then few seconds later powers back on. Has anyone had this happened? I googled this and saw a few people having this issue but when i clicked on those sites, others said they could not fix the issue. Last time i think i fixed this issue ... the one where i click shut down but it restart instead...someone told me to do some fast shutdown where doing it would immediately shut computer down when clicking shutdown. But the issue was if i do this, when i start up my laptop, it would not be as fast. Does anyone know what im talking about here? Someone on this thread mentioned this to me months ago. So i did this and my laptop had no issues turning off when i click shutdown.

So after it just powered back on, i decided to click on the windows defender security center and check for viruses. The first one i did was the basic one which was very quick. Then i did the full scan which took few hours. After each one, there were no threats, scans. However, say 15 minutes later or a bit longer, i get a notification windows defender has detected a threat. Many times my dell xps laptop would just have these notifications like windows defender scanned computer and found no threats randomly even though i never clicked on scan. Well this time, it said i had a threat and when i clicked on it, it was a trojan. The date showed today as well. Does that mean it came from today? Yes i do visit websites but not sure if that is the case. But i then removed the trojan/threat and it shows no issue there now. So when i remove it, then its fine and i don't have to worry about that anymore. So how do i fix this issue of the laptop turning off and restarting like 2-3 seconds later? When i click shutdown, thats what it does now. I know i could just hold power for a few seconds to turn it off but i know doing that is not good for laptop because that is improper shutdown.

:)

paulyjustin, Oct 11, 2018
  2. ilgoldman Win User

Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Dell XPS Laptop Shuts Down, Then Restarts :confused:*Mad Dell XPS Laptop Shuts Down, Then Restarts :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Oct 11, 2018
  3. Dell XPS 13 9333 - Windows couldnt not complete the installation, to install windows on this computer, please restart the installation

According to Dell's official Windows 10 Creators Update page, the Dell xps 13 9333 is not listed as tested:

http://www.dell.com/support/article...-to-windows-10-creators-update?lang=en#XPS-NB

You can try a manual upgraded as suggested in my previous reply using the ISO in addition to the 12 steps before upgrading.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Cake5 Win User

Dell XPS Laptop Shuts Down, Then Restarts

Laptop restarts when i try to shut down

What methods have you used to shut it down? The usual ways are to open Start, click the power icon and then choose Shut Down. Alternatively you can go onto the desktop and press Alt+F4 to open the shut down/restart dialog. Third,
    type "shut down" into the Start search and click the "shut down" entry.

Also see
    this forum post
    from 2015. Microsoft staff member answer below copied from linked:

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then try to shut down.

Method 2:

I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 3:

If the above method doesn’t help, I suggest you to reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back to their default settings. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Method 4: Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are

causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot"
    in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Ravindra R Kamath

Microsoft Community

Cake5, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

Dell XPS Laptop Shuts Down, Then Restarts

1. Dell XPS Laptop Shuts Down, Then Restarts - Similar Threads - Dell XPS Laptop

2. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  3. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  4. Laptop restarts after shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarts after shut down: Hi, my laptop will restart after shutting down, What is the cause of this issue and how to solve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-restarts-after-shut-down/10cffe66-5e17-4326-be4b-03f550275d86
  5. Laptop restarts after shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop restarts after shut down: Hi, my laptop will restart after shutting down, What is the cause of this issue and how to solve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-restarts-after-shut-down/10cffe66-5e17-4326-be4b-03f550275d86
  6. My DELL XPS 13 9305 is Shutting Down Unexpectedly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My DELL XPS 13 9305 is Shutting Down Unexpectedly.: SourceWindowsSummaryShut down unexpectedly.Date‎03-‎07-‎2022 20:22StatusNot reportedProblem signatureProblem Event Name: BlueScreenCode: 1000007eParameter 1: ffffffffc0000005Parameter 2: fffff80269755be1Parameter 3: fffffa863f6f7048Parameter 4: fffffa863f6f6860OS version:...
  7. My DELL XPS 13 9305 is Shutting Down Unexpectedly.

My DELL XPS 13 9305 is Shutting Down Unexpectedly.: SourceWindowsSummaryShut down unexpectedly.Date‎03-‎07-‎2022 20:22StatusNot reportedProblem signatureProblem Event Name: BlueScreenCode: 1000007eParameter 1: ffffffffc0000005Parameter 2: fffff80269755be1Parameter 3: fffffa863f6f7048Parameter 4: fffffa863f6f6860OS version:...
  8. Laptop won't restart or shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't restart or shut down: If I attempt to restart the laptop it shows the black screen with the dots rotating with the "restarting" text on it and nothing happens, If I try to shut down the same happens only with the "shutting down" text. I tried shutting down all programs before turning off and It...
  9. Laptop won't restart or shut down

Laptop won't restart or shut down: If I attempt to restart the laptop it shows the black screen with the dots rotating with the "restarting" text on it and nothing happens, If I try to shut down the same happens only with the "shutting down" text. I tried shutting down all programs before turning off and It...
  10. [Dell XPS L521X][Windows 10 21H1] Laptop suddenly shutting down while using

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    [Dell XPS L521X][Windows 10 21H1] Laptop suddenly shutting down while using: Dear team,My laptop suddenly shutting down while using, it happen sometimes and I don't know exactly when it happen. It happen 1 or 2 times per day.Some informations:Laptop model: Dell XPS L521XWindows 10 21H1 64 bit, OS Build: 19043.1165System Log:- <Event...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Dell XPS 8930 restarts after shutdown

2. dell xps 15 9560 immediately restarts on shutdown

3. dell 9360 reboots after shutdown

4. xps 9830 restarting after hitting shutdown,
  5. dell laptop windows 10 shut down immediately restarts 2019,
  6. how to shut down dell xps laptop using keyboard,
  7. dell xps 15 powers up and shuts down,
  8. my dell latop restarts when i wantto shut down