Windows 10: Demonstrate how I can backup files on my Computer

Discus and support Demonstrate how I can backup files on my Computer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Fills for Backup on this computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RogerBrownSN, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Demonstrate how I can backup files on my Computer

• Fills for Backup on this computer

:)

RogerBrownSN, Aug 28, 2018
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Aug 28, 2018
  3. Backup files

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

When you create a backup using Windows Backup, you should use the Restore Files wizard to restore the files. If you can't use the Restore Files wizard (for example, when you're using a computer that’s not running the current operating syatem) you can manually
    extract files from a backup by following these steps:

• Open the location where your backup is saved.

Note: The files in your backup are saved as zip files.
    • Right-click the backup file (a file with the Windows Backup icon and the name of your computer), and then click
      Open.

To manually extract files that are larger than 200 MBs

If a file is larger than 200 MBs, it will be split into multiple zip files. You will need to extract and then combine these files following these steps:

• Open the location where your backup is saved.
    • Find the zip files that contain the file you want to extract. For example, if you're trying to extract a video file named
      My video, you would find the zip files that contain files with that name.
    • Create a folder on your desktop to extract the files to.
    Since the files all have the same name, you'll need to rename them as you extract them.

• Extract the first file into the folder you created on your desktop and then rename the file.
    Repeat the below steps until you have extracted all of the files, making sure that you name them similarly. For example, if you have four files for the
    My video video, name them My video1, My video2,
    My video3, and My video4.

• Open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type
      Command Prompt, and then, in the list of results, click
      Command Prompt
    • Type the following command: copy /b filename*.file_extension new_filename.file_extension

For example, copy /b My video*.avi
      My videoAll.avi

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we woudl be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 28, 2018
  4. Demonstrate how I can backup files on my Computer

Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Aug 28, 2018
Thema:

Demonstrate how I can backup files on my Computer

1. Demonstrate how I can backup files on my Computer - Similar Threads - Demonstrate backup files

2. How can I backup my system and files ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I backup my system and files ?: I'm got a new Windows 11 computer.So,I need to backup my Windows 10 system and files. But I CANNOT find any backup tools in my Windows 10 Settings .There is a backup tool in the control panel,but it only for Windows 7.It DON'T work on Windows 11 and 10. I HOPE Microsoft will...
  3. How can I backup my system and files ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I backup my system and files ?: I'm got a new Windows 11 computer.So,I need to backup my Windows 10 system and files. But I CANNOT find any backup tools in my Windows 10 Settings .There is a backup tool in the control panel,but it only for Windows 7.It DON'T work on Windows 11 and 10. I HOPE Microsoft will...
  4. How can I backup my system and files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can other computer use my window image backup files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can other computer use my window image backup files?: Hi everyone,I'm wondering if someone got my system image backup files, could they recover their computers with my backup files and then take my data inside?...
  6. How can i backup my Yandex emails to other file format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can i backup my Yandex emails to other file format: Looking for a solution to import my Yandex emails into other file format but without disturbing structure of my mail box. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-backup-my-yandex-emails-to-other-file/22dae1b3-fac3-4d48-920e-5f869cdacb1b
  7. How can I backup my files, I forgot my password

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I backup my files, I forgot my password: I used the password in the begining when i was setting up my laptop and i used to login with my pin instead of password these all years and recently the account got signed out and i am not sure how i can back up my files without my password, there were no other sign in...
  8. how can I backup data from my computer to another computer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how can I backup data from my computer to another computer?: I have a Toshiba satellite e45-b4200 with intel core i5 working on Windows 10. --- My laptop updated on the night of May 18, then when I started having issues which can be read here. Currently, I believe my computer is probably not working with Windows 10 than being a hard...
  9. How can I backup my data from my old computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I backup my data from my old computer: I have an old computer runs with windows and I need to backup the data to another tower that has a motherboard. How can I do it? I am doing it to be able to reset the administrator password. Thank you....
  10. How can I backup my Windows 10 files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I backup my Windows 10 files?: Hi, How can I backup my Windows 10 files? There seems to be something to backup files to the cloud. Please advise. Also, is it better to backup using Windows 10 or using an external backup drive like MyPassport by Western Digital? Thanks, Joe...