Windows 10: Demystifying Windows 10 Microcode Updates for Intel and AMD Processors

Discus and support Demystifying Windows 10 Microcode Updates for Intel and AMD Processors in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hello, my name is Steve Mathias, Microsoft Premier Field Engineer (PFE) and I wanted to spend a moment to discuss the “mechanics” of the Intel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

Demystifying Windows 10 Microcode Updates for Intel and AMD Processors

Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...s/ba-p/1000845

:)

Brink, Nov 11, 2019
  2. pvrcs Win User

windows update downloads Intel update on an AMD cpu

Windows 10: New Intel Microcode for Spectre V3a, V4 & L1TF Gets Released states:

"Spectre Variant 4 ( white paper ) got
    discovered at Google's Project Zero. Like Specter Variant 1, this vulnerability can be plugged into customization in applications, with Specter V1's existing measures benefiting Specter V4 as well. However, to prevent the gap from being exploited through other
    means, Intel and Partners have decided to re-adjust the CPU microcode as well. It also contains countermeasures against variant 3a, which cost no performance. Variation 4 affects
    AMD, ARM, IBM and Intel."

I am experiencing a performance hit in my video editing software. But THIS is why you received the update though you have an AMD cpu.

Found this today -

"Downloaded KB4465065 (Intel mitigation) on Ryzen?" Anybody else get this update that is supposed to be only installed for intel processors? "Important Install this update for the listed processors only." (Lists only intel CPUs) : Amd

KB4465065: Intel microcode updates
    Important Install this update for the listed processors only.

However comments in this article say

- It's a microcode update, you have nothing to worry about.

- Perhaps these mitigations are coded to NOT activate on an AMD CPU.

- If this is a microcode update then this CAN NOT activate on an AMD processor and it wouldnt even work/allow it.

Yes Spectre 4 affects AMD processors but this update was for listed Intel processors only.

Why is it that we can find information online but Microsoft can't tell you anything or even reply to my support email????

pvrcs, Nov 11, 2019
  3. 7sean68 Win User
    Intel microcode update

my pc is out of Support in HP but my windows is still supported and my cpu is still supported so it's microsoft responsibility to deliver intel microcode updates as it delivered microcode updates to other chips.

Right now windows loads an old version of microcode into processor and It's microsoft responsibility to load the new microcode since they made themselves responsible for delivering drivers and every manufacturer says that windows 10 drivers will be delivered
    through windows updates

OR they can at least make a tool for us to update microcode but I'm sure they won't!!

7sean68, Nov 11, 2019
  4. pvrcs Win User

windows update downloads Intel update on an AMD cpu

The question is " Why did Windows update download an update for Intel KB4465065 when I have an AMD cpu? What havoc can it cause if it is allowed to update my system? If it is not an issue - let me know."

I have renamed the software distribution folder before to reload updates that were not installing correctly. However, the issue here is that KB4465065 is for intel microcode updates. I have an AMD processor, not an Intel one.

pvrcs, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Demystifying Windows 10 Microcode Updates for Intel and AMD Processors - Similar Threads - Demystifying Microcode Updates

2. Loading intel processor microcode updates on windows 11 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Loading intel processor microcode updates on windows 11 pro: I got windows 11 pro with all the latest updates and also the optional updates loaded. I also have a couple of linux virtual machines that are running on virtualbox. All my linux vm's show on bootup that there are processor vulnerabilities, spectre xxx I think. It boots too...
  3. Loading intel processor microcode updates on windows 11 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Loading intel processor microcode updates on windows 11 pro: I got windows 11 pro with all the latest updates and also the optional updates loaded. I also have a couple of linux virtual machines that are running on virtualbox. All my linux vm's show on bootup that there are processor vulnerabilities, spectre xxx I think. It boots too...
  4. Intel microcode update confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Intel microcode update confusion: Windows 10 Home v 20H2 x64 Asking about Intel microcode update for Spectre/Meltdown protection. CPU is i5-2400S, and apparently KB4465065 addresses variants of both issues. However confused over whether or not this update can/should be applied: GRC InSpectre reports all...
  5. Microcode Update for Intel CPU's

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microcode Update for Intel CPU's: Hi! I update my laptop ME firmware and my CPU microcode, the last one via Windows Update. Is it going to be an update for desktop processors? Because the update for 10th gen Intel CPU's to update the microcode are only for mobile devices and i can't find one for desktop...
  6. Replace AMD Processor with an Intel Processor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replace AMD Processor with an Intel Processor: I am using an laptop with AMD processor. but I wanted to change the processor only not the laptop. i wanted to add intel Core i5 processor in the place of AMD. But I have heard that AMD cannot be replaced by intel or other processors since the slots are seen to be different....
  7. Intel Microcode Updates for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Microcode Updates for Windows 10: Microsoft has released Intel Microcode Updates for all supported versions of the company's Windows 10 operating system. Microsoft revised the support page on January 30, 2020. The update brings support for additional processors. In particular, all updates, regardless of...
  8. AMD update STILL appearing for Intel Processors !!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    AMD update STILL appearing for Intel Processors !!!: Today I've finally been updating my version of Windows 10 1703 on my laptop, since its NIC is no longer supported and I had to get a dongle. During the process, however, I noticed an update meant for AMD processors, even though my system uses one from Intel I also have an...
  9. Intel microcode updates for 1803?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intel microcode updates for 1803?: Is this available for download? 108843
  10. KB4091666 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1507

in Windows 10 News
    KB4091666 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1507: KB4091666: Intel microcode updates Applies to: Windows 10 Summary Intel recently announced that they have completed their validations and started to release microcode for newer CPU platforms around Spectre Variant 2 (CVE 2017-5715 (“Branch Target Injection”)). This...