Windows 10: Denied Access to update files when using my User Account that has administrator privileges

Discus and support Denied Access to update files when using my User Account that has administrator privileges in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently migrated files from my Carbonite backup when upgrading to new hardware and Windows 10 Pro. My old system was Windows 7 Pro. It had several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pakage, Dec 22, 2019.

1. pakage Win User

Denied Access to update files when using my User Account that has administrator privileges

Recently migrated files from my Carbonite backup when upgrading to new hardware and Windows 10 Pro. My old system was Windows 7 Pro. It had several Accounts on it and the backups included the Account ID's in the folder structure.

Now, all files that aren't in the folder for my administrator account on the new machine cannot be edited and/or saved in their location. Error message indicates the lack of administrative privileges.

I want my administrator account to have access to Everything on the entire machine. How do I do this? Isn't this want an administrator account should be able to do?

Thanks,

:)

pakage, Dec 22, 2019
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

net user administrator /active:no keeps saying access denied.

Hi Rebekah,

It's possible that you're not using an elevated command prompt, causing the Access Denied error. We suggest following these steps to properly disable the built-in administrator account:

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste net user Administrator /active:no and press
      Enter
      . If the command isn't successful, please post a screenshot so that we can study it further.

Let us know if you're able to hide the administrator account after following these steps.

Yolvi Ell, Dec 22, 2019
  3. Never prompted to elevate privilege as administrator

OK, I tried Dinesh's tutorial. First, here's a list of accounts for my machine:

Denied Access to update files when using my User Account that has administrator privileges [​IMG]

I held down Shift and rebooted, and got the WinRE splash screen. I was prompted to log in, with "Dan" my only option:

Denied Access to update files when using my User Account that has administrator privileges [​IMG]

If I clicked on "Don't see your account", I got this:

Is it suggesting that "Dan" is an administrator account? Oh, that it were so... I went back, selected the "Dan" account, and it booted into command prompt. I then attempted the first of Dinesh's instructions:

Hello darkness, my old friend... "Access Denied."

Dan

shortmort37, Dec 22, 2019
  4. PeteSHP Win User

Denied Access to update files when using my User Account that has administrator privileges

net user administrator /active:no keeps saying access denied.

Can't send screen shot. Entering Command prompt(admin) get "Do you want this app..." box with NO as the only choice. I have tried everything I've found on the net to enable the built in administrative account to no avail. Running Win10 OS build: 16299.125.
    HELP!

PeteSHP, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Denied Access to update files when using my User Account that has administrator privileges - Similar Threads - Denied Access update

2. I'm an administrator but denied access to certain files that requires an administrative account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm an administrator but denied access to certain files that requires an administrative account: performed a recovery because pc was running slow. no problems with recovery. now however, I cannot install a certain driver update. Only 1 out of 14 fails, says I don't have admin privledges. All others installed fine.tried all suggestions i could find on this site. still...
  3. account administrator privileges?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    account administrator privileges?: Before installing a new motherboard and upgrading to windows 11 I was co administrator of a pc account. Not now. How can I recover .... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-administrator-privileges/ed399470-405d-4a34-868e-dcfd2975e0f3
  4. RDP Session tells "Access is denied." when i try to connect to a user privileged account.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    RDP Session tells "Access is denied." when i try to connect to a user privileged account.: Severity : ALL Windows 10 version.. I tried several version of Windows 10 from 2004 to 20H1 as well as Insider previous , all Windows version denies a user to connect until the account was not logged in from local desktop.What the hell is happening, and why is this ****...
  5. File access lost (Administrator account) while denying permissions to users.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File access lost (Administrator account) while denying permissions to users.: I share my computer with my brother, I have some business files which I do not want him to get access to. I am the admin and he has his own local User account and my business folder is in the Local Drive. I found out that I can 'deny' file permissions and foolishly denied...
  6. System Error 5 Access denied - Even With Administrator Privileges

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    System Error 5 Access denied - Even With Administrator Privileges: Hi. I get "System error 5 Access is denied" error when trying to install Emscripten SDK 1.38.27 using the emsdk. I also have version 1.39.0 of Emscripten; what I want to do is to also get this earlier to have alongside it because I need it for Qt 5.13.1 (Qt for WebAssembly)...
  7. Administrative account with no administrative privileges

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Administrative account with no administrative privileges: Lead up I have been working on an issue where a user cannot open attachments from Outlook in Word. This problem is caused by Word not being able to access the Fonts folder, I need to change the privileges, no clue how it keeps getting changed. Problem I cannot change the...
  8. Administrator denied access to files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Administrator denied access to files: I'm having issues with installing iTunes. The previous iTunes libraries will not open as it says I don't have permissions. I've tried to change permissions and I have to have authority to do that. How do I fix this? Debbie...
  9. Access Denied! Please login with administrator privilege and try again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access Denied! Please login with administrator privilege and try again: I get this when trying to launch e.g Battlefield 1942 and Robot Wars Arenas of Destruction and Robot Wars Extreme Destruction. Nothing seems to solve it. Not Run as Administrator, not compatibility mode, nothing! Anyone got any clue what it could be? Kind Regards...
  10. Windows 10 Access Denied - unable to gain administrator privileges

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 Access Denied - unable to gain administrator privileges: Windows 10 boots however access is denied on all drives. I have tried taking ownership however since access is denied I cannot do this. I can go in and look at security settings, but changing ownership is not possible. C drive usage and free is 0 however I can see the files...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i gain administrator rights