Windows 10: Deny Write Access to Fixed Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows 10

Discus and support Deny Write Access to Fixed Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]You can set a policy that configures whether BitLocker protection is required for a computer to be able to write data to fixed data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Oct 25, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

Deny Write Access to Fixed Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows 10

WinClub, Oct 25, 2019
  2. RobertJWin, Oct 25, 2019
  3. Bitlocker making removable media Write Protected

Our status for Deny write access to removable drives not protected by Bitlocker is enabled. And it prompts a user to encrypt their device using bitlocker before they are permitted to write to it. It then encrypts it if the user chooses to do so, or only
    allows read access. Once it is encrypted, the device is writable at that time, but once it is removed and plugged back in (To the same machine, or another machine in the same network/organization), it prompts for the password that was set. Once the password
    is entered, it shows the device as being unlocked, but when you try to write to it, it says that "This disk is write protected."

DanielBrent2113, Oct 25, 2019
  4. Deny Write Access to Fixed Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows 10

Bitlocker making removable media Write Protected

I work for a company who handles secure data. We use bitlocker to encrypt the drives on all company machines, as well as all removable storage devices (USB Flash drives, External Hard Drives, ETC.). This works seamlessly for all built in storage, but for
    removable media, it is forcing write protection on the drives after encryption, even after the drive is unlocked using the Bitlocker passcode. We still want to maintain the enforcement of encrypting anything that may contain private company data, including
    all removable storage devices, but want to still be able to write to them after they are encrypted. Is this normal? Is there any way to have all removable storage devices encrypted but disable write protection once they are unlocked?

In Group Policy, our status for Deny write access to removable drives not protected by Bitlocker is enabled. When a user plugs in an external storage device, it prompts them to encrypt their device using bitlocker before they are permitted to write to it.
    It then encrypts it if the user chooses to do so, or only allows read access if they refuse. Once it is encrypted, the device is writable at that time, but once it is removed and plugged back in (To the same machine, or another machine in the same network/organization),
    it prompts for the password that was set. Once the password is entered, it shows the device as being unlocked, but when you try to write to it, it says that "This disk is write protected."

Additionally, if it helps, we do not push any other removable media GP bitlocker related options such as 'Deny write access to devices configured in another organization' or 'Allow access to BitLocker-protected removable data drives from earlier versions
    of Windows', so it would most likely be whatever the default setting is. However, every removable media device we have tested with has been new, empty, and unencrypted until into we plug into one of our machines and encrypt with Bitlocker. Still, could adding
    one of these policies (Or maybe another I am not familiar with) as 'Enabled' potentially resolve the issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am running out of things to try, and can not find any threads where people have run into this issue.

Thanks!

DanielBrent2113, Oct 25, 2019
Thema:

Deny Write Access to Fixed Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows 10

1. Deny Write Access to Fixed Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Deny Write Access

2. Drive Write Protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive Write Protected: Background:Wanted to install a new SSD as my C drive, wouldn't copy correctly, had to do a new install of Windows.D drive Samsung SSD had all my Data - Pictures, Documents, etc. Cloned my D drive to an NVMe on a USB adapter, removed the SSD, installed the NVMe on a PCIE...
  3. Drive Write Protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Write Protected: Background:Wanted to install a new SSD as my C drive, wouldn't copy correctly, had to do a new install of Windows.D drive Samsung SSD had all my Data - Pictures, Documents, etc. Cloned my D drive to an NVMe on a USB adapter, removed the SSD, installed the NVMe on a PCIE...
  4. Flash Drive is write protected.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Flash Drive is write protected.: I was copying files to my flash drive sometime ago, the transfer speed was slow, so I tried the most technical solution ever, I unplugged it then plugged it in, then Windows told me that there was a issue with this flash drive and I should click to fix it. I thought this...
  5. Write access denied on External HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Write access denied on External HDD: When I try to copy anything to my WD passport external HDD, it says "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file" and when I click continue, it just asks me to try again. But this does not happen when I boot in safe mode. Here's what I've tried so far:...
  6. Bitlocker encrypted drive access denied

Bitlocker encrypted drive access denied: When I open bitlocker password protected drive than error shows that "The code execution cannot proceed because FVEAPI.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem". plz help me and how to fix this error. window 10 pro education version1909 [ATTACH]...
  7. Write Protection On PC Hard Drives - Denied Access Worked Before Feb 11th 2020 Update -...

Write Protection On PC Hard Drives - Denied Access Worked Before Feb 11th 2020 Update -...: So as I use software for music programs then covert to MP3, FLAC, or WAV formats I covert and transfer my project creations/files to a folder to listen to after digitizing the music sometimes vinyl of a rare mix or hard to find release 70's or 80's. Strictly Personal Use My...
  8. Windows 10 Pen drive is write protected

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Pen drive is write protected: Hi, I bought Windows 10 from retail market and now when I trying to format it, it's reflecting that this is write protected and I am unable to format it by various tools like CMD and Registry option. Kindly assist me in how to remove write protection from Windows 10 pen...
  9. Deny Write Access to Fixed Data Drives not Protected by BitLocker

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Deny Write Access to Fixed Data Drives not Protected by BitLocker: How to: Deny Write Access to Fixed Data Drives not Protected by BitLocker Allow or Deny Write Access to Fixed Data Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help block...
  10. Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker: How to: Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker Allow or Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help block...