Windows 10: Deprecation of SHA-1 for SSL/TLS Certificates in Microsoft Edge & IE11

Discus and support Deprecation of SHA-1 for SSL/TLS Certificates in Microsoft Edge & IE11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft Security Advisory 4010323 Deprecation of SHA-1 for SSL/TLS Certificates in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 Published: May 9, 2017... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 8, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Deprecation of SHA-1 for SSL/TLS Certificates in Microsoft Edge & IE11

Source: Microsoft Security Advisory 4010323

:)

Brink, May 8, 2017
  2. Rob Koch Win User

Downloading file.exe

Since this only recently started with your other Windows 10 system, I suspect that Microsoft only just finally enabled the detection of these SHA-1 signed files, quite possibly in the recent Windows 10 Anniversary update or at least the IE11 updates that
    were included within it.

So if you had installed the update on one system and not the Surface Pro 4, this might explain the difference, since my own system I was using to test here is actually running Windows 8.1 and apparently has also received an update which generates that same
    corrupt or invalid message you received.

Looking around, I just found another Web Developer blog article that discusses the SHA-1 deprecation roadmap. Though this doesn't specifically mention how files containing digital signatures will be handled, I suspect that the effects on SSL certificates
    using SHA-1 and those for file downloads when using IE11 would be quite similar.

An update to our SHA-1 deprecation roadmap

From the comments in this and another earlier blog article I can see that even the more technically knowledgeable web developers in these discussions have questions and see potential problems with this deprecation. One of these is that older Windows XP
    and Server 2003 systems don't support the new SHA-2 or other algorithms, so these will permanently break when software or web pages containing these are accessed.

So this migration from SHA-1 to SHA-2 may be far more disruptive then Microsoft expected for those with outdated software, servers and client systems.

Rob

Rob Koch, May 8, 2017
  3. Abi99 (2) Win User
    SHA2 support on Nikia C5,E71 and E72?

No idea about that. Most (all?) E-mail providers require SSL/TLS these days. For example, I am not able to access the POP3 servers of Microsoft without TLS.

Symantec and Comodo still offer SHA-1 certificates (when asked directly) and if your E-mail provider was clever enough, his old SHA-1 certificate is still valid. However, I am not aware of any such provider. You could setup your own server and redirect/forward
    your your E-mail to that.

Consequently: If you find an E-mail provider which does not require TLS, you avoid this SHA issue (but showing your E-mail content to everyone around you). Alternatively, you try the Web interface of your E-mail provider. Again, many force forward you to
    HTTPs then, again with this SHA issues.

Abi99 (2), May 8, 2017
Thema:

Deprecation of SHA-1 for SSL/TLS Certificates in Microsoft Edge & IE11

1. Deprecation of SHA-1 for SSL/TLS Certificates in Microsoft Edge & IE11 - Similar Threads - Deprecation SHA SSL

2. Certificate Services signs certificates with SHA-1 even though SHA-256 is selected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certificate Services signs certificates with SHA-1 even though SHA-256 is selected: I'm trying to switch the certificate services in an Active Directory environment from SHA-1 to SHA-256 but it still signs only using SHA-1.The CA Domain Controller is running Windows Server 2008 R2, fully patched including ESUs. Note that the domain, including the CA...
  3. Certificate Services signs certificates with SHA-1 even though SHA-256 is selected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Certificate Services signs certificates with SHA-1 even though SHA-256 is selected: I'm trying to switch the certificate services in an Active Directory environment from SHA-1 to SHA-256 but it still signs only using SHA-1.The CA Domain Controller is running Windows Server 2008 R2, fully patched including ESUs. Note that the domain, including the CA...
  4. SSL/TLS

in Windows 10 Customization
    SSL/TLS: I get an error that SSL/TLS is not setup. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssltls/5e109a29-7523-4251-b40d-60a342189920
  5. Microsoft and DigiCert to begin deprecating Symantec TLS certificates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft and DigiCert to begin deprecating Symantec TLS certificates: Starting in September 2018, Microsoft began deprecating the SSL/TLS capability of Symantec root certificates due to compliance issues. Google, Mozilla, and Apple have also announced deprecation plans related to Symantec SSL/TLS certificates. Symantec cryptographic...
  6. TLS Security Question- Firefox,Edge and IE11

in Browsers and Email
    TLS Security Question- Firefox,Edge and IE11: O.K. Yesterday I ran a DISM restorehealth. When I went to reboot, I also had updates to install (that I hadn't noticed). Since then I have been unable to go to at least 2 sites due to a TLS security reason. I mean the browser(s) just flat out refuse to go there. No option to...
  7. How Can You View The SSL/TLS Certificate in Microsoft Edge

in Browsers and Email
    How Can You View The SSL/TLS Certificate in Microsoft Edge: In Internet Explorer you could click on the HTTPS padlock in the address bar and click 'View Certificates', or right-click on the webpage and go to Properties > Certificates. How can you view the SSL/TLS Certificate in Microsoft Edge, without switching back to Internet...
  8. SHA-1 deprecation countdown

in Windows 10 News
    SHA-1 deprecation countdown: The SHA-1 hash algorithm is no longer secure. Weaknesses in SHA-1 could allow an attacker to spoof content, execute phishing attacks, or perform man-in-the-middle attacks when browsing the web. Microsoft, in collaboration with other members of the industry, is working to...
  9. SHA-1 Deprecation Update

in Windows 10 News
    SHA-1 Deprecation Update: In a previous update on TechNet, we announced that Windows will block SHA-1 signed TLS certificates starting on January 1, 2017. In light of recent advances in attacks on the SHA-1 algorithm, we are now considering an accelerated timeline to deprecate SHA-1 signed TLS...
  10. An update to our SHA-1 deprecation roadmap

in Windows 10 News
    An update to our SHA-1 deprecation roadmap: In November, we shared a SHA-1 Deprecation Update with some early details on our schedule for blocking SHA-1 signed TLS certificates. Today we would like to share some more details to share on how this will be rolled out. Starting with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update,...