Windows 10: Designing A1 poster using Scribus or Publisher

Discus and support Designing A1 poster using Scribus or Publisher in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I need to design an A1 poster. Previously, when I could justify cost, I would have used Adobe Indesign. Now I need to use Publisher or Scribus as this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sigurd, May 9, 2021.

1. Sigurd Win User

Designing A1 poster using Scribus or Publisher

I need to design an A1 poster. Previously, when I could justify cost, I would have used Adobe Indesign. Now I need to use Publisher or Scribus as this is just a one-off project for a local charity. Scribus seems to be the best option given its similarity to Indesign. Publisher doesn't seem to be able to output an A1 sized PDF (unless I am missing something). However Scribus is continually crashing. One way it does so is repeatable, but it does happen at other times. Using latest version of Windows 10 and Scribus 1.8.4 PC - Intel Core i7 @ 3.20GHz, 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1333MHz (19-19-19-43), Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z370N WIFI-CF (U3E1) I have no problems with any other app so PC not at fault. I do suspect that Scribus may not be able to cope with a large document but I have no evidence for saying that. I have designed the panel size A1 + 20 mm bleed. Contains 5 text boxes, 5 graphic boxes. I can add a graphic to one of the boxes, but as soon as I try and adjust it to fit the box, or even if it fits the box, when I try to save it, Scribus just disappears. No message, no indication of a crash, just simply switches off as if I clicked Close. With persistence, doing one thing, saving, then following the crash, re-opening and doing the next step, sometimes it works. Other times it just closes down again.

:)

Sigurd, May 9, 2021
  2. Polarman Win User

Scribus. An alternative to M$ Publisher

My wife was bugging me for a Microsoft Publisher type software that i use to have a long time ago. I think it was the first one to come out. So i googled around and found this:

Scribus Open Source Desktop Publishing

Scribus is an open-source program that brings award-winning professional page layout to Linux/Unix, MacOS X, OS/2 and Windows desktops with a combination of "press-ready" output and new approaches to page layout. Underneath the modern and user friendly interface, Scribus supports professional publishing features, such as CMYK color, separations, ICC color management and versatile PDF creation.

Scribus – Open Source Desktop Publishing

It's not as fully featured as Publisher and is a far cry from Adobe's Pagemaker but this one is completely FREE. It seems to work pretty good, too bad it's not intergrated with OpenOffice.

Polarman, May 9, 2021
  3. How do I unblock a publisher in windows 10?

I have gone through the steps as suggested above BUT interestingly don't see an publisher listed under the "Untrusted Publishers" but still get the same error box as shared above.

Screenshot

I wonder why?

Tanveer Malik, May 9, 2021
  4. Armina Win User

MS Publisher Alternative that works well with windows 10?

I was dismayed to get my new computer from HP with MS Office loaded to discover that Publisher was not part of the package *Sad

I have Office 2016 and discovered that, although I can create posters in MS Word, I cannot save the file as a jpg picture.

Does anyone know of a good free publisher alternative that works well with windows 10? (not scribus, ick)

On my old computer that ran Windows Vista Home Premium (ick again, lol) I had MS Office 2003, which I loved and it had all the apps, but this one does not, sadly and I really really miss Publisher.

Armina, May 9, 2021
Thema:

1. Designing A1 poster using Scribus or Publisher - Similar Threads - Designing poster using

2. Converting or designing a Publisher document to CMYK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Converting or designing a Publisher document to CMYK: Windows 10 current, Publisher 365 also current. A leaflet designed in Publisher is by default RGB. Printing company prefers CMYK. I have looked for a means to design or convert to CMYK but what I have found seems to relate to older versions of Publisher. What I did find, but...
  3. Publisher

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Publisher: Why is publisher so painfully slow to use and why are there no print previews before printing ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/publisher/851a65f8-40bc-4416-8008-a0caa1dae292
  4. Using Microsoft Designer Keyboard and Mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using Microsoft Designer Keyboard and Mouse: Hello, I bought a wireless Microsoft Designer Keyboard, and a wireless Mouse to use them for my desktop PC which has a Windows10. But I am not sure how to set them up. I have successfully interfaced them with my Surface Pro 3. Do I need to buy a data reader ?...
  5. How to do key A1

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to do key A1: There is a game i havs and to use it i need to hit the button a1 how do you press a1 on a keyboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-do-key-a1/26059d93-5ad7-49f9-95b9-4aeea67669bd
  6. Top 100 Poster?

Top 100 Poster?: Just Wondering What People Think If There Was Like A Top 100 Poster, 10 Or 3, I Remember ROBLOX Forums Had Something Like It Before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/top-100-poster/96d18d91-f5f7-4d98-8d4d-32f259b7bf26
  7. publisher using format autoshape

publisher using format autoshape: the active window is so big I cant get to the area to confirm the changes I can move the active window by dragging it but I need to resize it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/publisher-using-format-autoshape/0bbb9ba6-1233-4283-a592-cf8c379539fb
  8. can i use it to design the logo?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    can i use it to design the logo?: at the moment I have no money. Can I use it to design a logo and then sell it ?, If there is a logo sold, I will use the money to buy a Windows home license....
  9. Office 365 A1 for students

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Office 365 A1 for students: How do I delete this account from my computer. It is linked to my daughters school email. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-365-a1-for-students/4a063251-5aad-432f-8ba5-4740b46d10ed"
  10. Publisher

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Publisher: Recently updated to W10. Went to print out a calendar using my Publisher program, only to discover it won't print it out. Printer works on other tasks (outside of Publisher). I believe it won't print out because of the recent upgrade to W10. Is there a solution/work around...