Windows 10: Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing

Discus and support Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, My computer (with Windows 10 Home) has been working fine until just few minutes ago when the desktop and explorer stopped automatically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Charya Sendanayake, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing

Hello,

My computer (with Windows 10 Home) has been working fine until just few minutes ago when the desktop and explorer stopped automatically refreshing. What this means is that when I create a new folder, it doesn't show up until I manually refresh. When I delete a file, it doesn't go away until I manually refresh. When I try renaming, it just freezes and crashes (explorer restarts).

I've looked it up on the Internet and the only solutions I've found are;

a) Restart Explorer via the Task Manager - this did not work.

b) Modify/add to the Registry Editor under CLSID (DontRefresh) - this also did not work at all (when done for 32 or 64 bit registers).

c) Restart the computer - this showed the most promise because as soon as I restarted, I could do all those things on the desktop but the issue returned as soon as I opened a folder (it returned on the desktop as well).

Please help me fix this issue. Thank you for the help!

:)

Charya Sendanayake, Mar 13, 2019
  2. Paddy Win User

Automatic refresh doesn't work in File Explorer, Desktop, Recycle etc.

Same in the safe mode, no changes...

I have tried pretty much all those suggestions from various sites, but none of them worked for me.
    What I have seems to be a major issue, they even call it WEDR bug.
    The only thing that slightly changed recently... sometimes, a few times I managed to get automatic refresh for the Desktop, if I for example do the right click and create a new folder, it does create instantly and is visible straight away.... hoewever this never happens in Windows Explorer... I think I once got a file in C: to be processed automatically but thats it... and never had ANY automatic refresh for any of the folders and files on external drives.

Paddy, Mar 13, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Automatic refresh doesn't work in File Explorer, Desktop, Recycle etc.

And in safe mode? I don't think you've commented on that yet.

Solutions from a general web search:
    What to do when Windows Explorer doesnt refresh | ITworld
    - quite a list - note some of these would be covered by a test in safe mode.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/deskto...ically-windows
    Windows 7 Annoying Bug: Explorer doesnt refresh automatically when Create/delete/move any file/folder | Syed Jahanzaib Personal Blog to Share Knowledge !

dalchina, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Try3 Win User

Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing

Windows Explorer refuses to refresh Explorer

Masterchef,

I have had this problem and so have lots of other people. None of the suggested solutions I found on the internet had anything other than a temporary effect. The problem eventually went away of its own accord but still rears its ugly head from time to time. I only kept a few links on the subject -
    Desktop or Explorer does not refresh automatically in Windows
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh by itself - Microsoft Community
    windows file list does not auto refresh-update - Microsoft Answers [Windows 7]
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh when moving-deleting - TechNet [Windows 7]

When the problem reappears, I restart the computer. If that does not resolve matters then I accept the situation and don't waste my time chasing non-solutions. You might wish to consider adopting the same approach.

All the best,
    Denis

Thema:

Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing

1. Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing - Similar Threads - Desktop Explorer Automatically

2. Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.: Ive had this issue for a couple weeks now and wanted to help others since this is really frustrating.I found the solution for it in a random youtube video comment about this topic.UNPIN ANY NETWORK FOLDER from your Explorer and it will work again. Only fix which will persist....
  3. Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.: Ive had this issue for a couple weeks now and wanted to help others since this is really frustrating.I found the solution for it in a random youtube video comment about this topic.UNPIN ANY NETWORK FOLDER from your Explorer and it will work again. Only fix which will persist....
  4. Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Automatic Refresh bug still present in Windows 11- Desktop, File Explorer do not refresh...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Refresh bug still present in Windows 11- Desktop, File Explorer do not refresh...: There is a bug with Windows that has been around for awhile now and that is that the Desktop and File Explorer do not refresh automatically when a mapped network drive is no longer connected. To my disappointment, this bug is still present in Windows 11.When creating a New...
  6. 20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer: I had a file on my desktop and I renamed it. I then restarted file explorer and it moves the renamed file and adds a generic looking shortcut. I restarted explorer again and it shows the Microsoft Edge icon on the shortcut which I had deleted a couple of days ago and...
  7. Windows Explorer is not automatically refreshing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer is not automatically refreshing: When I am doing file or folder operation in explorer it is not automatically refreshing to reflect the updated changes How to fix this? 136118
  8. File Explorer doesn't refresh automatically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer doesn't refresh automatically: Windows 10 Pro. Every few days File Explorer stops refreshing automatically; copying, renaming, deleting, moving and other operations with files and folders aren't reflected until I manually refresh it (hit F5). This can be alleviated by changing some View settings and then...
  9. File Explorer doesn't refresh automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer doesn't refresh automatically: Windows 10 Pro. Every few days File Explorer stops refreshing automatically; copying, renaming, deleting, moving and other operations with files and folders aren't reflected until I manually refresh it (hit F5). This can be alleviated by changing some View settings and then...
  10. File explorer doesn't refresh automatically

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer doesn't refresh automatically: hi guys i have some problem thats freaks me out!!! work on last updates , 64 bit every file i download to downloads folder i need to press f5 to see the file on top (list by date) i do some things.. like use some cmd commend to scan and fix all was great , change refresh...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop not refreshing automatically

2. desktop not refreshing

3. windows 10 not refreshing explorer

4. have to refresh explorer to show changes task manager,
  5. laptop not auto refreshing,
  6. refreshing explorer adressline,
  7. windows 10 desktop not automatically refreshing,
  8. windows 10 explorer auto refresh,
  9. windows desktop not refreshing,
  10. windows 10 not automatically refreshing desktop,
  11. my pc dont refresh unless you refresh manually,