Windows 10: Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

Discus and support Desktop and File Explorer icons gone in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I have readed some other posts about people who had the same problem as me, but none of those solutions worked for me. Basically today I booted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EyeSteel, Jul 27, 2018.

1. EyeSteel Win User

Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

Hello!

I have readed some other posts about people who had the same problem as me, but none of those solutions worked for me. Basically today I booted up my computer and all of my icons are randomly gone, in File Explorer and on the desktop. I cannot go to C:\Users\karlp\AppData and open Local's properties. I have tried Windows Powershell (Admin) and SFC /scannow. I have also downloaded Tweaking Windows Repair and Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder and Rebuild_Icon_Cache.bat. THE only thing I don't want to do is reset my Windows. It would mean alot for me if somebody could help me out!

Thanks! Desktop and File Explorer icons gone :)

Edit: I don't have IconCache (it's missing, so I can't delete it)

Edit : I have also tried that method using cmd and typing in ie4uinit.exe -show, taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F, DEL /A /Q "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" , DEL /A /F /Q "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*" , shutdown /r /f /t 00

:)

EyeSteel, Jul 27, 2018
  2. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Jul 27, 2018
  3. sturpe Win User
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

My Desktop is showing icons as normal. But if I try to find what is on my desktop by using file manager, I cannot find the icon. I also checked under C;\user my name, public, default and no desktop listed on any of them. Any suggestions?

sturpe, Jul 27, 2018
  4. Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Jul 27, 2018
Thema:

Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

1. Desktop and File Explorer icons gone - Similar Threads - Desktop File Explorer

2. File Explorer with pc desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer with pc desktop icons: i have always used File Explorer to open and use other folders, but now i only get devices.. i am using windows 11.. any help to go from one to the other, thanks...
  3. File Explorer with pc desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer with pc desktop icons: i have always used File Explorer to open and use other folders, but now i only get devices.. i am using windows 11.. any help to go from one to the other, thanks...
  4. Most of desktop icons gone.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Most of desktop icons gone.: I signed off normally yesterday. When I signed up most of icons on my desktop were gone. I thought something bad happened but when I went into desktop folder in OneDrive everything was there but it didn't appear on my desktop....
  5. All icons in file explorer and desktop either gone completely or turned to default windows...

All icons in file explorer and desktop either gone completely or turned to default windows...: [ATTACH] It only started happening today when I restarted my computer and it appeared like this, I can't find an answer anywhere online. No this is not Windows XP this is a Windows 10 Skin I've had for a whole year it is 100% not the cause. My view settings in file explorer...
  6. Desktop Icons gone haywire

Desktop Icons gone haywire: When I turned on my Windows 10 laptop the other morning, my desktop icons were spread out in 4 rows, with many of them missing. I have not installed or uninstalled anything on this computer for many weeks. I do a complete full shutdown nightly Fast Startup is turned off. The...
  7. Desktop and File Explorer Icons and text suddenly gone too small

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop and File Explorer Icons and text suddenly gone too small: Recently when I started my Dell Laptop I noticed that the desktop Icons were too small and text looked like little dots and the same thing in File explorer. I tried right clicking and resizing icons but it isn't right. I even tried to reset to default. Nothing works. Lost...
  8. File Explorer GONE

File Explorer GONE: So I was just trying to delete some stuff, then suddenly my computer crashed. When I reopened it, and logged in, there was just a blank screen. I opened Task Manager, then found out File Explorer was not there. I tried running it from Task Manager, but it says the file can't...
  9. Folders/icons on desktop gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders/icons on desktop gone: I am on 1903 I will explain this as it played out I had battlenet on my computer but it was a blank icon..tried uninstalling it but it wouldn't let me. I could not get it to uninstall. Not sure why it was blank..i never uninstalled it before. I downloaded a fresh copy of...
  10. All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop: Hi all, On turning on my laptop yesterday (for the first time in a couple of days), all my icons are now missing: [img] This also includes thumbnails, etc: [img] I have tried restarting / full shutdown a few times with no effect. Any suggestions much...