Windows 10: Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

Discus and support Desktop and File Explorer icons gone in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I have readed some other posts about people who had the same problem as me, but none of those solutions worked for me. Basically today I booted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EyeSteel, Jul 27, 2018.

1. EyeSteel Win User

Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

Hello!

I have readed some other posts about people who had the same problem as me, but none of those solutions worked for me. Basically today I booted up my computer and all of my icons are randomly gone, in File Explorer and on the desktop. I cannot go to C:\Users\karlp\AppData and open Local's properties. I have tried Windows Powershell (Admin) and SFC /scannow. I have also downloaded Tweaking Windows Repair and Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder and Rebuild_Icon_Cache.bat. THE only thing I don't want to do is reset my Windows. It would mean alot for me if somebody could help me out!

Thanks! Desktop and File Explorer icons gone :)

Edit: I don't have IconCache (it's missing, so I can't delete it)

Edit : I have also tried that method using cmd and typing in ie4uinit.exe -show, taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F, DEL /A /Q "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" , DEL /A /F /Q "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*" , shutdown /r /f /t 00

:)

EyeSteel, Jul 27, 2018
  2. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Jul 27, 2018
  3. sturpe Win User
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

My Desktop is showing icons as normal. But if I try to find what is on my desktop by using file manager, I cannot find the icon. I also checked under C;\user my name, public, default and no desktop listed on any of them. Any suggestions?

sturpe, Jul 27, 2018
  4. twicksisted Win User

Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Jul 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop and File Explorer icons gone - Similar Threads - Desktop File Explorer

2. file explorer icon on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    file explorer icon on taskbar: My "file explorer icon" has disappeared from my taskbar. don't know how or when. where do I find it or how do I put it back there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/file-explorer-icon-on-taskbar/393db9be-718c-4052-92b0-e76ac3d3052c
  3. Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer: My Desktop is showing icons as normal. But if I try to find what is on my desktop by using file manager, I cannot find the icon. I also checked under C;\user my name, public, default and no desktop listed on any of them. Any suggestions? 101768
  4. All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    All icons & thumbnails gone in Windows Explorer & desktop: Hi all, On turning on my laptop yesterday (for the first time in a couple of days), all my icons are now missing: [img] This also includes thumbnails, etc: [img] I have tried restarting / full shutdown a few times with no effect. Any suggestions much...
  5. how to create a desktop icon for file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    how to create a desktop icon for file explorer: I just moved from W7 to W10 and haven't been able to figure out how to create a desktop app icon for file explorer. I can do it for apps that I've loaded, but can't figure it out for special Windows programs. Yes, I have it in my task bar and can clearly see it in the...
  6. Where is icon for File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where is icon for File Explorer?: In the far left hand column of the Start Menu I have Power, Settings and my link but no File Explorer. Where is it any thoughts please? Win 10 V. 1607) 65692
  7. Desktop Icons all gone?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons all gone?: I have the latest update of Win 10... Booted computer this morning and all of my desktop icons are gone. Could anyone help me find them? *Smile The desktop now defaults to a Win10 desktop but when I go to "desktop" there is nothing there. All help appreciated. wayne 53950
  8. Windows Explorer acting up, drives gone, icons gone...

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer acting up, drives gone, icons gone...: After several hours on my pc i open a windows explorer window and this comes up; [img] Now if i open up a new explorer window on top of that this comes up; [img] If you notice the icons are gone, if i close both windows and open a new one it starts over from...
  9. Explorer not showing Desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer not showing Desktop icons?: Hey all, I noticed that when opening Desktop in Windows Explorer, it doesn't show any of the icons of This PC, My Documents, Network and Recycle Bin. I have enabled these icons to be shown on the Desktop through the "Desktop Icons Settings" option. However, Explorer...
  10. Desktop file 'gone'

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop file 'gone': After the latest updates (2 days ago) I got the message that backing up & synchronizing in Edge is no longer possible because the map Desktop cannot be traced, and would I be so kind to "Search or Stop synchronizing." A Search only results in "Desktop - This map is empty"....