Desktop and File Explorer icons gone

Discus and support Desktop and File Explorer icons gone in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I have readed some other posts about people who had the same problem as me, but none of those solutions worked for me. Basically today I booted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EyeSteel, Jul 27, 2018.

1. EyeSteel Win User

Hello!

I have readed some other posts about people who had the same problem as me, but none of those solutions worked for me. Basically today I booted up my computer and all of my icons are randomly gone, in File Explorer and on the desktop. I cannot go to C:\Users\karlp\AppData and open Local's properties. I have tried Windows Powershell (Admin) and SFC /scannow. I have also downloaded Tweaking Windows Repair and Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder and Rebuild_Icon_Cache.bat. THE only thing I don't want to do is reset my Windows. It would mean alot for me if somebody could help me out!

Thanks! Desktop and File Explorer icons gone :)

Edit: I don't have IconCache (it's missing, so I can't delete it)

Edit : I have also tried that method using cmd and typing in ie4uinit.exe -show, taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F, DEL /A /Q "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" , DEL /A /F /Q "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*" , shutdown /r /f /t 00

:)

EyeSteel, Jul 27, 2018
  2. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Jul 27, 2018
  3. sturpe Win User
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

My Desktop is showing icons as normal. But if I try to find what is on my desktop by using file manager, I cannot find the icon. I also checked under C;\user my name, public, default and no desktop listed on any of them. Any suggestions?

sturpe, Jul 27, 2018
  4. twicksisted Win User

Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Jul 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop and File Explorer icons gone - Similar Threads - Desktop File Explorer

2. My laptop freezes and taskbar icons refreshing randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop freezes and taskbar icons refreshing randomly: I bought my laptop 2 months ago and this issue started couple of days ago. My laptop have a ssd driver. Most of the time I use my laptop for searching on the internet. When I try to open a new tab or open the task manager it freezes and sometimes the icons at taskbar...
  3. Cannot Copy File To Either Of Three USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Copy File To Either Of Three USB Flash Drives: [img] Why can't I copy the 5.7GB ISO file to either of these three USB Flash Drives? Please see attachment. Thanks. 116077
  4. How do I remove the "Quick Access Toolbar" from Windows File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I remove the "Quick Access Toolbar" from Windows File Explorer?: Let me be clear, I'm asking about the Quick Access TOOLBAR. I am not asking about how to change the Quick Access page. I am not asking about how to remove items or add items or customize items in the Quick Access TOOLBAR. I'm asking how to remove it. I can remove all the...
  5. Explorer crashing/slow and toolbar unclickable

Explorer crashing/slow and toolbar unclickable: Hi ! I know it's kinf of a common issue but i've read so many threads on this and tried so many stuff but so far nothing is working. Let me explaine abit more in details whats happening. First it begin with my toolbar (with battery icon, volume icon, wifi icon etc)...
  6. files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    files: I don't know how to do anything with the file can you explain how to use them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/files/abbd734c-8b45-468b-8019-b5b89a600f2c
  7. Problems with Windows10 Photos App: 1) all pictures go to 1 file instead of files indexed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Windows10 Photos App: 1) all pictures go to 1 file instead of files indexed...: I try to import photos from my iphone 8 to my Dell laptop with Windows10, both running with up to date versions of their software. I connect iphone to the PC with a USB cable. Photos app came with the laptop. I read most of the answers from the community but they didn't solve...
  8. windows update changed desktop icons

windows update changed desktop icons: Update changed the desktop icon sizes and arrangement, how can I return them to previous views? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-update-changed-desktop-icons/777e250b-b3c5-4903-b316-f7efd57f3303
  9. Full Network Does Not Show in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Full Network Does Not Show in File Explorer: When I open File Explorer and click on the Network icon in the left margin, I see multiple devices but I do not see all of my PCs. I have 3 PCs (all running Win 10 home version) and on one of the PCs the only PC that shows is the PC that I am running File Explorer. On another...
  10. Unable to write dump file while BSOD occur-why?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to write dump file while BSOD occur-why?: Hi folks. Occasionally I experience BSOD, and in a previous question from me (for various reasons did not get a response in the thread) my problem is the event will not be written as a dump file. My computer has 64 GB or internal RAM, which I have set the minimum page wrap...