Windows 10: Desktop and laptop can't see each other over Ethernet

Discus and support Desktop and laptop can't see each other over Ethernet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10 on my laptop (desktop was already on Win10). Before the upgrade, both PCs could see each other over my network,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Involute, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Involute Win User

Desktop and laptop can't see each other over Ethernet

I recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10 on my laptop (desktop was already on Win10). Before the upgrade, both PCs could see each other over my network, whether hardwired over Ethernet or over WiFi. After the upgrade, neither can see the other. Both have network discovery enabled for private, public, and all networks. Any tips appreciated.

:)

Involute, Nov 5, 2018

2. Need help with connecting laptop to desktop using ethernet cable

How are you assigning IP Addresses to each machine and are is the WIFI still enabled and connected. If you have set static addresses are the wifi interface and the ethernet interface on different private subnets. What addresses are you actually using?

I would suggest disable the wifi and run a continuous ping between the laptop and desktop to check stability.

IF the ping doesn't work then you should also check the routing table which should show the ethernet link subnet and the interface and if the interface is actually up at layer 3.

The last test would be a traceroute to the desktop from the laptop, just to check the traffic is actually being routed to the desktop and not being routed to the wifi interface.

Leviathan67, Nov 5, 2018
  3. Namslas90 Win User
    HELP! My Laptop has gone into SLOW MOTION!

Should be able to get a "step-by-step here;

Support | Dell Deutschland

Namslas90, Nov 5, 2018
  4. n-ster Win User

n-ster, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop and laptop can't see each other over Ethernet - Similar Threads - Desktop laptop can't

2. my desktop icons are scrambled and over each other

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my desktop icons are scrambled and over each other: when I made some changes on the resolution the desktop icons got mad and they come over each other and not shown on the left as it was, and they aren't shown on the desktop properly....
  3. my desktop icons are scrambled and over each other

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my desktop icons are scrambled and over each other: when I made some changes on the resolution the desktop icons got mad and they come over each other and not shown on the left as it was, and they aren't shown on the desktop properly....
  4. Windows 10 PCs can't see each other

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 PCs can't see each other: I have two PCs both running Windows 10 and ESET Antivirus and Firewall. When they are both on Network 1 they can see each other and share folders happily. Then, if I move them to Network 2 they can no longer see each other or share folders. The only change I make to both is...
  5. Old laptop and new desktop unable to see each other other in terms of shared drives over...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old laptop and new desktop unable to see each other other in terms of shared drives over...: homegroups were so much easier but... I got a new desktop with a new installation of windows 10. That desktop and my laptop cannot see each other over the network. They can see every other network device they are supposed to see. desktop does not see the laptop at all -...
  6. PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network

PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network: Hi Our network has not been working properly for ages but we've coped. Now, however, I want to get it working as it should do. Our network comprises three PCs, our two main PCs and a spare which does get used on a regular basis. All are connected via ethernet cables and...
  7. PC'S on a Home Network Can't see each other

PC'S on a Home Network Can't see each other: I have 2 machines, 1 Windoze 7 Pro 32bit and 1 Windoze 10 Home 64 bit both wire connected to the same router. No matter what I do, the machines can't see each other. That includes all the sharing options, advanced, etc. All Allows are checked and I have admin rights on both...
  8. Another Laptop and Desktop not seeing each other, tried the other post

Another Laptop and Desktop not seeing each other, tried the other post: I'm trying to set up a very basic home network to share a wired printer on desktop with laptop and a few other public files. No matter what I do, laptop and desktop aren't seeing each other. Desktop is Win 10 Pro, Laptop is Win 10 Home. I can ping the other from both, both...
  9. Computers can't see each other on workgroup

Computers can't see each other on workgroup: Recently added both laptops to a workgroup as suggested here to enable file sharing and it worked perfectly. Then suddenly today 1 of the computers can't see the other one. Laptop 1 can't see laptop 2 1 did have a Pin as security while 2 had a password. I've changed 1 to...
  10. Desktop and Laptop can't see each other on P2P cable set-up

Desktop and Laptop can't see each other on P2P cable set-up: I have a bit of an urgent problem with my P2P network. My laptop is failing and needs repair but the drive is fine I believe, so I urgently need to do a system image backup to my desktop PC. I usually do this by disabling WIFI on both machines, and connecting the two...