Windows 10: Desktop and Laptop lose sharing

Discus and support Desktop and Laptop lose sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two Windows 10 machines: a desktop running 1909 18363.657 and a laptop running 1909 18363.592. If both machines are re-started at the same time,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by abacus, Feb 19, 2020.

1. abacus Win User

Desktop and Laptop lose sharing

I have two Windows 10 machines: a desktop running 1909 18363.657 and a laptop running 1909 18363.592. If both machines are re-started at the same time, the machines can share files and the laptop can print to the printer connected to the desktop. But, when I close the lid on the laptop and it goes to sleep, the network connection between the two is lost. That makes sense to me. But, when I open the laptop and it returns from sleep, the network connection is not re-established. Is there a way to re-connect the two machines other than re-starting each one of them?

:)

abacus, Feb 19, 2020
  2. karyeowl Win User

Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Feb 19, 2020
  3. sarahk Win User
    Win 10 laptop can't see a folder on desktop

Hi

My network is really simple. A win10 laptop and a win10 desktop. The desktop has a couple of hard drives and the laptop needs to see one of them.

At various times it's all been good but then something mysterious happens and we're back to square one.

So
    • I've set up a homegroup and both computers belong to it
    • I've set up sharing so that the homegroup can read/write
    • I've added my husbands email address as a user on the desktop and accepted the invitation so that it doesn't show as pending

Yet, when I go to the laptop
    • I can see the homegroup and the two computers that are in it
    • I can see the network and the same two computers
    • If I click on the drives I get a no-permission error

I've obviously missed a step somewhere and I've gone over tutorials and guides but can't work out what it is. Any ideas?

sarahk, Feb 19, 2020
  4. SUB
    SuB Win User

Is it possible to share internet connection via remote desktop?

RDP is not capable of Internet sharing, so you can't share Internet using RDP with standard applications. There are many way to share Internet from a Windows box to another one. I suggest you to use VPN. You should do following steps:

1. Run VPN Server on your server with unlimited internet access
    2. Connect to VPN server from your limited computer

Thema:

1. Desktop and Laptop lose sharing - Similar Threads - Desktop Laptop lose

2. Sharing a drive on a desktop with a laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing a drive on a desktop with a laptop: HELP! I am trying to share a drive containing folders and files on our desktop to a laptop. I have setup the drive, folder, and files to be shared; I have not required a password; etc. Yet, I either get errors saying 1 I need credentials yet without telling me EXACTLY what...
  3. Sharing a drive on a desktop with a laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sharing a drive on a desktop with a laptop: HELP! I am trying to share a drive containing folders and files on our desktop to a laptop. I have setup the drive, folder, and files to be shared; I have not required a password; etc. Yet, I either get errors saying 1 I need credentials yet without telling me EXACTLY what...
  4. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing files between laptop and desktop: I have a desktop and a laptop that share files. How can I delete unnecessary files from my laptop without deleting them from my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-laptop-and-desktop/51fb77ca-e65d-41bf-94a7-90e3f03e2e3c
  5. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sharing files between laptop and desktop: I have a desktop and a laptop that share files. How can I delete unnecessary files from my laptop without deleting them from my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-laptop-and-desktop/51fb77ca-e65d-41bf-94a7-90e3f03e2e3c
  6. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. New Desktop is sharing with my laptop and laptop sharing with desktop

New Desktop is sharing with my laptop and laptop sharing with desktop: Everything from Steam games, homework assignments, and pictures are being shared between my two computers. I'm a full time student and I just purchased a PC for gaming. I've had my laptop for a couple years now and since getting my gaming PC, everything on my laptop including...
  8. Losing shares after reboot

Losing shares after reboot: I've looked and haven't found the exact problem, but I'm sure there are others. I just got a new laptop, I have a lot of information on the old laptop, I didn't want to move to the new one, but still need access to. So I spent the time to go through all my files and rearrange...
  9. Share desktop DVD Drive with Laptop

Share desktop DVD Drive with Laptop: The DVD drive on my laptop died. I often play games like Monopoly on my laptop while watching TV, but they require the DVD in the drive (which doesn't work). Can I share the DVD drive on my desktop with the laptop. I'd put the Monopoly disk in the desktop, re-install from...
  10. Windows 10 laptop repeatedly loses connection to SAMBA share

Windows 10 laptop repeatedly loses connection to SAMBA share: Hi, I have a few machines, all running Windows 10, connecting to a file-server running Samba on Ubunutu. All the PC connect fine, except one Lenova laptop that constantly loses the connection. I've checked to see that all the CIFS components are installed. The only...