Windows 10: Desktop and task bar icons not loading, unable to use search bar too

Discus and support Desktop and task bar icons not loading, unable to use search bar too in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My pc has not worked for about a year now so took my laptop to uni instead. Back home now because of corona virus so have only just got round to trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/die4codgrimsby, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Desktop and task bar icons not loading, unable to use search bar too

My pc has not worked for about a year now so took my laptop to uni instead. Back home now because of corona virus so have only just got round to trying to fix it. My pc loads fine untill I put in my password in to log in. When I do that for about 4 or 5 minutes my screen is black with just my cursor, then I get my background with out any of my icons and an empty task bar. Right clicking the desktop and start button works but left clicking it doesn't. Been stuck like this since I updated to the latest windows 10 version a few days ago. Remember I had a problem with my nvidia drivers a few years back but dont know if thats got anything to do with it. Also right clicking the start menu then clicking task manager doesn't work either for some reason. Would love some help. Would be massively appreciated

submitted by /u/die4codgrimsby
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/die4codgrimsby, Mar 30, 2020
  2. Ge285 Win User

Search icon does not appear on the task bar

I have a laptop and a recently I bought a desktop Pc running windows 10 home edition. The search icon (next to the windows symbol) does not appear on the task bar on the Pc. It does show on the laptop however. Why is it that? I click on the task bar
    with the right button of the mouse and a list appears containing the “search” link on the laptop but that does not appear on the Pc. Also the “cascade windows”, “Show windows stacked” and “show windows side by side” appear grey that is inactive. Both laptop
    and Pc run windows 10 Home edition. Could it be something wrong with the installation? I bought the Pc (a Dell inspiron) recently and today I installed the software. But why is it that the search icon does not show on the task bar and actually it is missing
    from the list that appears when I click on the task bar with the right button of the mouse? Any help would be welcome.

Ge285, Mar 30, 2020
  3. KomouPoji Win User
    Trying to move desktop icon to the task bar. Cannot make it “stick” to the taskbar

Hi,

To assist you further, let me ask.

• When you say “Trying to move desktop icon to the task bar”, you mean pin the excel workbook to the task bar?
    • what exactly when you try to stick the excel file to the taskbar?
    If you are trying to pin the excel workbook to the taskbar.

Follow the steps below.

• Click on the start menu, select the icon and right-click on the icon.

• From the list, select pin it to taskbar or pin it to start.
    Also, you can drag the icon from the desktop and drop on the task bar.

I hope the information is helpful and if the issue still persists, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Mar 30, 2020
  4. Desktop and task bar icons not loading, unable to use search bar too

Unable to view installed programs when i click on the windows icon or type in program name in search box on task bar

I am unable to view installed programs in the program list. When i click on the windows icon or type in program name in search box on task bar, the program doesn't show up. For example, I installed visual studio, launched it, closed it and searched for
    it in using the above steps. Did not show up. I had to re-install it! As a workaround, I either pin these programs to my task bar or create a desktop shortcut during installation. I use Windows 10 Enterprise edition, Surface book, purchased in August 2016

Soumyavijay, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

Desktop and task bar icons not loading, unable to use search bar too

1. Desktop and task bar icons not loading, unable to use search bar too - Similar Threads - Desktop task bar

2. too many icons in task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    too many icons in task bar: I suddenly have two rows of icons in my Task Bar. The upper row is the one I want to keep displayed. I use it all the time. I'd like to hide the lower row but not delete it. How can I do this? And how did the lower row suddenly get there?...
  3. too many icons in task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    too many icons in task bar: I suddenly have two rows of icons in my Task Bar. The upper row is the one I want to keep displayed. I use it all the time. I'd like to hide the lower row but not delete it. How can I do this? And how did the lower row suddenly get there?...
  4. too many icons in task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Task bar and search bar too big

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task bar and search bar too big: I updaed my windows 7 to windows 10 , to turn on "show searcg bar" I had to uncheck "use small icons" now i feel its too big. I want my search bar plus small icons. Please help...
  6. Task bar and search bar too big

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task bar and search bar too big: I updaed my windows 7 to windows 10 , to turn on "show searcg bar" I had to uncheck "use small icons" now i feel its too big. I want my search bar plus small icons. Please help...
  7. Task bar and search bar too big

8. Search icon on the task bar

in Cortana
    Search icon on the task bar: When I click on the search icon on the taskbar the "type here to search" box opens, but when I type nothing happens. No error code, no response, no hints, nothing. I can't think of anything I have done that could have caused this....
  9. Task bar icons are too small

Task bar icons are too small: Windows 7 has a way to make the icons on the task bar significantly larger--n essential resource for those with poor eyesight or a small screen. Windows 10 appears to have dropped that feature and instead has just two size settings: "small" in which the icons are...
  10. Issue in using window and search icons in task bar

in Cortana
    Issue in using window and search icons in task bar: Since last 3-4 weeks I am facing issue in using windows and search icons in task bar. When I click on them the icons don't work. I have checked windows update, everything is up to date and also tried re-indexing but still doesn't resolve. Sometimes when I restart the...