Windows 10: Desktop and Taskbar won't appear - Black screen

Discus and support Desktop and Taskbar won't appear - Black screen in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; After performing the latest Windows Update, I restarted my computer and logged in with no problems at all (the login screen did appear). When it got to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RedForce, Aug 19, 2017.

1. RedForce Win User

Desktop and Taskbar won't appear - Black screen

After performing the latest Windows Update, I restarted my computer and logged in with no problems at all (the login screen did appear). When it got to where the desktop should be, I was faced with a blank screen and a mouse cursor that I could move around. After playing around a bit I realized I could do Ctrl+Alt+Del and open task manager through which I could manually start any of my programs and they would all appear on top of the black screen (the windows are perfectly normal, stacking and moving as they should), I just don't have a taskbar or desktop with which to navigate them and am resigned to using Alt+Tab. If I minimize a window, it shrinks into a small bar with the options to reopen, maximize, or close the window. I can open any file location with Task Manager and all my files are still there and I can access all of them. I've tried updating graphics drivers, I've tried troubleshooting update errors, but I am genuinely lost as I am not very tech-savvy.

:)

RedForce, Aug 19, 2017

2. windows 10 start button. (get-appxpackage also not working in powershell)

Hi

Thanks for the assistance.

The test user logs on and proceeds to a black screen with no desktop display. This also happens to my user but after a while the desktop appears as well as the taskbar.

Thank you

WJJOosthuizen, Aug 19, 2017
  3. After installing Windows 10, I only get a black screen - no desktop, taskbar, or Start menu

After installation of windows 10 my desktop ,taskbar , startmenu is missed only black color screen is appearing how do i work with it

how to solve this problem ...

<Original title - windows 10 updation problem >

ojhasandeepkumar, Aug 19, 2017
  4. Desktop and Taskbar won't appear - Black screen

Hi RedForce. Welcome to the TenForums @RedForce

I'm assuming this Update was a regular monthly update and not you receiving the Creator Update. If so System Restore may help you. If you know this was the Creator update then you might be able to use the "Go back to the previous build" option. You will see it in the tutorial screen shots with the large red arrow.

If you press Alt + F4 do you get a menu? If so navigate to Restart, then hold the shift key down and click "OK" to Restart.

When your machine restarts you should be presented with the Advance Startup Options. Follow the tutorial to System Restore, that is and restore to an earlier time.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 19, 2017
Thema:

Desktop and Taskbar won't appear - Black screen

1. Desktop and Taskbar won't appear - Black screen - Similar Threads - Desktop Taskbar won't

2. PC loads to desktop with black screen and taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC loads to desktop with black screen and taskbar: Hello,Earlier in the week I had taken steps to improve the performance of Mortal Kombat 1 on my pc. I went about this by installing Process Lasso on my pc and changing the number of maximum cores active from 1 to 12. The pc had run fine over the next day or so, but when I...
  3. PC loads to desktop with black screen and taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC loads to desktop with black screen and taskbar: Hello,Earlier in the week I had taken steps to improve the performance of Mortal Kombat 1 on my pc. I went about this by installing Process Lasso on my pc and changing the number of maximum cores active from 1 to 12. The pc had run fine over the next day or so, but when I...
  4. PC loads to desktop with black screen and taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. No Desktop or Taskbar. Only a black screen with a cursor

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Desktop or Taskbar. Only a black screen with a cursor: After logging in to my account I am met with a black screen and a cursor and that's it. There are numerous solutions that I have looked into that didn't work. I am able to open task manager. The issue persists in Safe Mode. This issue is localised to one user account. The...
  6. Desktop and Taskbar keeps refreshing with a black screen

in Windows 10 News
    Desktop and Taskbar keeps refreshing with a black screen: [ATTACH]If, after a Windows Update or a Driver update, your Desktop and Taskbar keep refreshing with a black screen, then its a typical driver issue […] This article Desktop and Taskbar keeps refreshing with a black screen first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Desktop and taskbar refreshing with a black screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop and taskbar refreshing with a black screen: Hi, I got a problem with my laptop, the taskbar and desktop refreshes itself every 3 or 4 seconds and it shows a black screen in the process. With Ctrl alt del I have been able to open taskbar and it shows 50-90% cpu use I think the explorer.exe task also refreshes. This...
  8. Black desktop and taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black desktop and taskbar: My taskbar is gone and my desktop background is black now and keep refreshing. What shall I do ?? explorer.exe in cmd does not the solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-desktop-and-taskbar/c6468947-822b-41b3-9577-977d63b0ac85
  9. Black Screen (Desktop & Taskbar disappeared)

Black Screen (Desktop & Taskbar disappeared): Hi everyone, Yesterday I turned on my laptop and all I could see is a black screen. I searched the internet and tried creating "explorer.exe" task using Task Manager. Turns out it doesn't work in my case. All I could see after creating the task was an even more annoying...
  10. Black Screen On Login, Task Manager Won't Appear

Black Screen On Login, Task Manager Won't Appear: I've got a unique twist on the black screen of death that I can't fix. When I attempt to bring up task manager or switch user, nothing appears other than the cursor. The system also will not shut down or restart of its own volition; the power button has to be held....