Windows 10: Desktop and Toolbar constantly refreshing

Discus and support Desktop and Toolbar constantly refreshing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know this problem has been posted here a million times, but no other solution has yet worked for my computer. I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HotWingsFTW, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Desktop and Toolbar constantly refreshing

I know this problem has been posted here a million times, but no other solution has yet worked for my computer. I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 that I just upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday. It's been working mostly without a hitch, but I've run into the dreaded "constant refresh" problem with the desktop and toolbar. It happens maybe every minute or so. I can use the computer just fine for the most part, but when I'm gaming, the refresh will cause the game to minimize and return me to the desktop, which is extremely annoying. Anyone have any solutions to this? I haven't tried to turn the internet off yet to see if the problem persists, but I'm sure it wouldn't. I'll also post my laptop's specs if it helps.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU@2.5 GHz
    RAM: 6 GB
    64 Bit Operating System, x64-based processor
    Intel HD Integrated Graphics 3000

:)

HotWingsFTW, Nov 30, 2015
  2. Jomel Ber Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Desktop and toolbar constantly refreshing.

Hi Jerratt,

To further assist you, we suggest that you check first if you have the IDT Audio in your computer. If you do, just uninstall it and restart your computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Jomel Ber, Nov 30, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Desktop and toolbar constantly refreshing.

Hi,

So a couple of days ago, I updated my computer or HP Pavilion 15-p006tx BeatsAudio from Windows 10 to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. At first after I updated the computer, it was good and running normally all my applications were good. The next day,
    it was terrible. My games started to get a massive decrease in frames, Skype wasn't allowing me to sign out of an account and login to another account and of course, it was constantly refreshing itself. I had no idea what was happening to it. It does sometime
    decide to stop for a few minutes and then it returns to refreshing. I tried terminating the application that was causing high CPU but it wasn't iCloud or Bitdefender, it was Windows Explorer. It didn't work. I tried to Clean Boot my computer and it also didn't
    work. I do hope that the solution isn't factory resetting my computer. Pls help

[EDIT]

Also when I terminate Windows Explorer because it was causing too much CPU Usage, the screen would turn whatever color the toolbar is so for example, the toolbar is red; when I terminate Windows Explorer, it would turn red. All that would be on the screen
    is red and tabs of which applications are open (Steam, Skype etc.) but they are in a small rectangle shape. When I exit the applications, all there is on the screen is the color red. I tried to do some stuff like refreshing the desktop but nothing would work.
    The only choice for me to do is to hold down the power button and turn it back on. pls help

Jerratt Hang, Nov 30, 2015
  4. Tim W Win User

Desktop and Toolbar constantly refreshing

Hi HotwingsFTW i had the same issue with my older Dell n5110 Laptop and tried many things. one of which was to try and update the graphics drivers as i thought that was the issue. but I solved it when i found a different solution. Check id you have IDT Audio on your machine if you do simply uninstall this then restart your machine you will find that your sound still works and the annoying desktop refresh will be fixed. this was driving me crazy but all well now.
    Hope this works for you

Tim

Tim W, Dec 17, 2015
  5. TIM, I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!! That solved the problem for me also; the refreshing has stopped and my audio works fine. Thank you SO much!!!

HotWingsFTW, Dec 17, 2015
  6. I registered here just to say that I LOVE YOU TIM W. Worked perfectly after a couple days of troubleshooting. HP Probook 4530s upgrading from 7 pro to 10. Saved my laptop.

Brianhook1183, Jan 28, 2016
  7. Bill54494 Win User
    Amen! Same here! Dell Inspiron. Problem solved.

Bill54494, Jan 31, 2016
  8. Desktop and Toolbar constantly refreshing

I too registered just to say thanks for this tip. I was upgrading a friend's laptop to 10, after a day of removing a pile of crapware to get it to upgrade, and everything was running smooth except for this issue. While not OS breaking, it was very annoying. Thanks much!

DeltaWhiskeyOne, Mar 5, 2016
  9. Copatikus Win User
    Tim W, thank you so much. I installed Win 10 on my Dell n5110 Laptop a few months ago and went back to Win 7, because of this issue. I upgraded to Win 10, yesterday and found your solution. It works like a dream.

Copatikus, Mar 31, 2016
  10. iJazz86 Win User
    I too registered solely for the purpose of adding to the Tim love. Tim, I love you. *Party

iJazz86, Apr 3, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Interesting.
    Thanks.

davidhk, Apr 3, 2016
  12. Shelandry Win User
    Tim you are a life saver.
    After over an hour or trying to figure out what to do I came across this thread and said why not I have tried so many other things..and OMG it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I bookmarked this thread incase anyone else has the same problem i can show them too

Shelandry, Apr 9, 2016
  13. PepeDFrog Win User

Tim I don't know how you figured that out but thanks so much for solving that annoying problem. My computer runs much more smoothly now.

PepeDFrog, Apr 20, 2016
  14. debg56 Win User
    Tim, I have an older Dell Inspiron 15R and my machine upgraded to Windows 10 without me knowing it was going to do it, and then when it did I had the constant screen refreshing. This solution worked perfectly. Thank you so much. I was not registered with this forum until now so that I could thank you. Deb

debg56, May 1, 2016
  15. TIM, I also registered today (May 12, 2016) just to let you know how much grief you saved my with your post. My Dell Inspiron home page kept continually refreshing (about every 20 sec in my case) and was driving me absolutely nuts. I had tried other suggestions to no avail. However, as soon as I uninstalled IDT Audio the problem cleared and audio still works fine. Thanks so much for taking the time to post your experience.

royalbounty, May 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Desktop and Toolbar constantly refreshing - Similar Threads - Desktop Toolbar constantly

2. Desktop and taskbar constantly refreshing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop and taskbar constantly refreshing: This has been happening for a few days, I’ve tried solutions to no avail. I’m pretty sure windows problem reporting is the cause of it though, since when I end it in task manager the refreshing stops, but at that point I still can’t do anything because the taskbar and desktop...
  3. Desktop and taskbar constantly refreshing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop and taskbar constantly refreshing: This has been happening for a few days, I’ve tried solutions to no avail. I’m pretty sure windows problem reporting is the cause of it though, since when I end it in task manager the refreshing stops, but at that point I still can’t do anything because the taskbar and desktop...
  4. Desktop and taskbar constantly refreshing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Desktop Crashing/Refreshing Constantly?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Crashing/Refreshing Constantly?: Hey! Hopefully this isn't against the rules but I can't exactly find the problem I have online. I tend to save a lot of things to my desktop while I'm working on them, which is bad practice so maybe I just need to stop doing it, but basically every time something in my...
  6. Desktop/taskbar constantly refreshing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop/taskbar constantly refreshing: Just happened today when I opened my laptop. Essentially the desktop/taskbar is perpetually refreshing and I can't open the start menu. The cursor also has the loading symbol constantly. In safe mode the same thing happens, and it is still going on after resetting windows...
  7. Desktop constantly refreshing

Desktop constantly refreshing: My Windows 10 computer refreshes every 15 or so seconds. When I try to open my Control Panel or File Explorer, they close during every refresh, so every solution involving the two are completely impossible. My computer has been doing this for a few days and I've done...
  8. Constant refreshing-desktop problem.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Constant refreshing-desktop problem.: Hello, i have a problem with my keyboard/windows i don't really know te cause. Whenever i push "h" or "g" button my screen constantly refreshes itself but when i press "j" it stops, it's the same with "up arrow key" and "down arrow key" one starts refreshing the other stops...
  9. Desktop refreshes constantly and other issues.

Desktop refreshes constantly and other issues.: Hello. After months of normal use, I booted yesterday my pc and when I logged into my profile, the desktop started flashing constantly, like it's refreshing every 2 seconds. My cursor is a constant spinning wheel, and I can't click anything. I also noticed that the disk usage...
  10. Desktop constantly refreshing

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop constantly refreshing: Hi I have win 10 and my laptop is Lenovo ideapad Y700 and it's 2 months since I've bought it. 2 weeks ago after a windows update my desktop kept refreshing every 2 seconds. A system restore have fixed the problem several times, but today the system restore fails and the...