Windows 10: desktop appearance

Discus and support desktop appearance in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm trying to take my apps on my desktop and convert them to list format. The icons take up too much space even shrunk to their smallest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BillErickson1, Apr 21, 2021.

1. desktop appearance

I'm trying to take my apps on my desktop and convert them to list format. The icons take up too much space even shrunk to their smallest

:)

BillErickson1, Apr 21, 2021

2. Windows 10 - Icons appear on Desktop but not Desktop Folder

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description of the issue, I understand that desktop icon shortcuts does not appear in the Desktop folder in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope the above information was helpful. if you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you

Sayan_Ghosh, Apr 21, 2021
  3. hput3 Win User
    How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically

A kind of malware has somehow gotten onto my win 10 PC. What I get is a small advertisment that pops up in the bottom right on my desktop... When I turn it off (clicking the corner X). It comes back again some time later but with different content.

I haven't timed it but seems lake maybe a 1/2 hr.

I've googled extensively but all the instructions I've found, tell you to use the windows uninstaller to uninstall softonic. And maybe some manual clean up after the uninstall. But there is nothing installed with `softonic' in its name and even when the ad is running there is no process running with softonic in its name.

All the google hits appear to assume the windows uninstaller will know about softonic. Even the manual parts of some of the hits appear to assume you have been successful in unintalling it.

The instructions also suggest several free malware removal products and claim any of them will remove it.
    `Zema Anti-malware', `MalwareBytes' and `AdwCleaner'

I tried all those listed in one of the instruction sets, ran the scan but none of them found whatever is running the little softonic pop up ad.

This type of malware apparently falls into a category called a `PUP'.

I never found in the google hits what expected would be there somewhere. A list of steps to remove something like this by hand.

Can anyone here advise me?

hput3, Apr 21, 2021
  4. 3Colors Win User

desktop appearance

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond desktop appearance :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Apr 21, 2021
Thema:

desktop appearance

1. desktop appearance - Similar Threads - desktop appearance

2. Downloads Appearing In Downloads Folder And On Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads Appearing In Downloads Folder And On Desktop: Hi,I had to reinstall W11 a few days ago and, since then, my downloads are appearing in downloads folder and on desktop. If I delete the files from the desktop, they delete from the downloads folder too.I have browsed the Forum and tried a few suggested fixes for similar...
  3. Downloads Appearing In Downloads Folder And On Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloads Appearing In Downloads Folder And On Desktop: Hi,I had to reinstall W11 a few days ago and, since then, my downloads are appearing in downloads folder and on desktop. If I delete the files from the desktop, they delete from the downloads folder too.I have browsed the Forum and tried a few suggested fixes for similar...
  4. Reproducible mouse appearance corruption using Remote Desktop after short idle time on host

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reproducible mouse appearance corruption using Remote Desktop after short idle time on host: I have had many PCs over the years, and I remote desktop into lots of PCs. I have a bug that no one seems to have reported, or have reported similar issues that never get fixed.The APPEARANCE of the mouse cursor on the remote computer get corrupted, though it continues to...
  5. Reproducible mouse appearance corruption using Remote Desktop after short idle time on host

Reproducible mouse appearance corruption using Remote Desktop after short idle time on host: I have had many PCs over the years, and I remote desktop into lots of PCs. I have a bug that no one seems to have reported, or have reported similar issues that never get fixed.The APPEARANCE of the mouse cursor on the remote computer get corrupted, though it continues to...
  6. Reproducible mouse appearance corruption using Remote Desktop after short idle time on host

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. This icon appeared on my desktop on all my icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This icon appeared on my desktop on all my icons: What is this its on top of all my desktop icons and pdf files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-icon-appeared-on-my-desktop-on-all-my-icons/cf37822c-5db9-4d34-a951-3edc712ddc95
  8. This icon appeared on my desktop on all my icons

This icon appeared on my desktop on all my icons: What is this its on top of all my desktop icons and pdf files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-icon-appeared-on-my-desktop-on-all-my-icons/cf37822c-5db9-4d34-a951-3edc712ddc95
  9. desktop items have appeared on other computers in the office

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop items have appeared on other computers in the office: Can you please tell me why the things that I have saved on my desk top which I didn't save to one drive have now duplicated onto another computer in our office and I also now have my managers desktop items on my computer as well as the things I already had on there?...
  10. desktop items have appeared on other computers in the office

desktop items have appeared on other computers in the office: Can you please tell me why the things that I have saved on my desk top which I didn't save to one drive have now duplicated onto another computer in our office and I also now have my managers desktop items on my computer as well as the things I already had on there?...